Another Use for WD40

marko

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
This may have been covered somewhere on this forum but I wanted to share this:

Over the years, the microwave over our stove got some built up grease/cooking fat/oils/grime/splatter on the front (as well as the nearby white cabinets). Small dots of hard "crap" that wouldn't even scrape off.

We've tried just about everything: ammonia, vinegar, Fantastic/409/similar brands, Windex, Magic Eraser, soap and water, etc etc...

Nothing moved the stuff.

Even a gentle scrub with ScotchBright only ended up scratching the plastic.

As a final attempt (it's always the last thing you try!), I sprayed on some WD40, let it sit for 4-5 minutes and several years of crap wiped up with a paper towel! Even the fine scratches from the ScotchBright went away; the thing looks like new.

Not an earth shattering event, but thought I'd pass it along as perhaps a new entry to WD's long list of uses.

I use WD40 to remove residue from adhesive labels, stickers, etc. It works like magic.

I dealt with exactly the same crud build-up on the vents of the built-in microwave at our rental house. Hard, yellowy greasy stuff which would not scrape off. I used Armor-All to soften it so I could scrape it away- a lot of work, but it was worth it, and the area looked shiny and new when I polished it.

WD-40 is great, but it can sometimes remove surface coatings, including paint, depending on the surface.

Amethyst

Thanks for the tip. I also find that my Star San brewing sanitizer full strength cleans up a lot of gunk also

As a final attempt (it's always the last thing you try!), .......

Naturally, when that thing works, the trying stops.

WD-40 is mostly solvent with a small amount of light lubricant. The correct solvent can do the same job. Test on plastic first.
Also, polishing compound can do wonders on most surfaces including plastic, polished metal and glass.

Last edited:
More proof the old adage: "If its supposed to move but doesn't, use WD40; if its not supposed to move but does, use duct tape".

If you don't want something to move (e.g. a nut, bolt, screw) Try Loctite Pro (a.k.a. Lock Tight)

Usually A little dab will do ya - Some car manufactures have used this stuff to lock down bolts on brake calipers. Almost impossible to get some of them free, even with a 3/4 inch air impact wrench.

If you don't want something to move (e.g. a nut, bolt, screw) Try Loctite Pro (a.k.a. Lock Tight)

Usually A little dab will do ya - Some car manufactures have used this stuff to lock down bolts on brake calipers. Almost impossible to get some of them free, even with a 3/4 inch air impact wrench.
Loctite blue: Keeps everything in place very well, but you can get it apart if needed.
Loctite red: When you never anticipate needing to take it apart again. If you are wrong: bring a breaker bar, or maybe a torch.

I recently discovered that Loctite depends on iron and other ions in the parts in order to set up. But certain metals (i.e. aluminum, with SS screws), don't provide enough of the needed material, so manufacturers recommend use of Loctite primer in such instances.
31U5cMQYIoL.jpg

WD40 is good stuff, but never use it to lube your chain drive garage door opener. Requires lithium grease.

Loctite red: When you never anticipate needing to take it apart again. If you are wrong: bring a breaker bar, or maybe a torch.
It works. Using a heavy duty breaker bar, I once twisted the head off a 3/4'' bolt where this stuff had been applied. Not an easy thing to do. It surprised me that the socket didn't break before the bolt. (WD40 didn't help in this case :))

Last edited:
Yeah but now the micro smells like FISH OIL .... I might leave the spots.

For a light cleanup and polish in the kitchen, I use baking powder and some water. It will cleanup most backed on deposits on a range and oven and not effect the enamel.

When I used tot take my kids camping at El Capitan State Beach north of Santa Barbara, CA they would always have sticky black tar on their feet after coming back from the beach. The tar is prevalent along the beaches in that area. I would use WD40 to get the sticky tar off of their feet, boogie boards and other beach toys. Works great.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum