Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-06-2015, 04:08 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm in NC, and it's free to freeze/unfreeze. Did both me and DW on line several years ago and it generated very strong passwords. Have had to unfreeze a couple of times, can do online and for specific period of time. If you are applying for something, ask who they use of the three so you only unfreeze the one (in most cases).

Given the incredible misery I've heard I theft causes, I cannot understand why everyone doesn't avail themselves of this protection. Even if it cost $10 each, I think it's worth it. At this point in life I rarely need to lift, only when opened new cc accounts to get a good deal. I'm sure it's not fool proof (loved that my first boss (engineering) said we can't make anything fool proof, only fool resistant) but it seems hazardous to not do this given how many places our data is. This, and checking cc activity every few days, gives me a reasonable measure of confidence. But yeah, bad things can still happen.
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2015, 04:22 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

We were successful the first time online with Experian. DH was then successful with the other two, but had a 30 minute wait on the phone for one of the others. I tried to do Equifax online but after paying and entering all my info I got the dreaded-sorry, can't help you at this time. But then I saw the 10 dollar charge went through to my AMEX, so I suspected the freeze took. I called their automated system, and it confirmed that "the freeze is on" which made me happy. Had the same problem online with TransUnion, and called their automated system, but it didn't have any option to check to see if the freeze took. My AMEX was charged, so I suspect it took, but don't have confirmation-their online system gave me the "sorry can't help you right now" message-what a pain!
Mango1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 04:24 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

BTW, thanks to all for posting info related to this issue, including links to the website on page one, phone numbers to call, etc. The support is awesome!
Mango1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 04:26 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hmmmm - just in time to file a bunch of fraudulent returns!
Old 02-06-2015, 04:40 PM   #45
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango1956 View Post
We were successful the first time online with Experian. DH was then successful with the other two, but had a 30 minute wait on the phone for one of the others. I tried to do Equifax online but after paying and entering all my info I got the dreaded-sorry, can't help you at this time. But then I saw the 10 dollar charge went through to my AMEX, so I suspected the freeze took. I called their automated system, and it confirmed that "the freeze is on" which made me happy. Had the same problem online with TransUnion, and called their automated system, but it didn't have any option to check to see if the freeze took. My AMEX was charged, so I suspect it took, but don't have confirmation-their online system gave me the "sorry can't help you right now" message-what a pain!
+1 had the same experience with Experian and Equinox, but have not completed the TransUnion freeze yet. Also had my tax return accepted by IRS. I don't have a state return being in Texas. but hearing about TurboTax suspending e-filing of state returns due to fraud. I guess I need to also do likewise for DW
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 04:57 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Unfortunately, they'd pass the cost of those fines to us in the form of higher premiums.

There has to be a better way to get insurance or get credit (which could be getting loans, credit cards, getting a cell phone plan) without using our social security numbers, which are a pain to replace.

What is the difference between credit monitoring and ID protection? Monitoring tells you when your social security number and name are used to apply for credit but does ID protection prevent fraudulent use of your ID somehow?
explanade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 05:24 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Hmmmm - just in time to file a bunch of fraudulent returns!
Funny (or not) you should say that. Here in CT there have been a large number of state tax returns (requesting refunds) filed recently. The state has put a hold on refunds until they can verify they are going to the correct individuals.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:07 PM   #48
Administrator

I just put a freeze on at all three credit bureaus. I did it all online and had no problems. I wonder if I can get Anthem to pay me the $30 I just spent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Unfortunately, they'd pass the cost of those fines to us in the form of higher premiums.
I think it would take prison for the executives and capital punishment for the hackers to make any headway against this problem.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:37 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
Funny (or not) you should say that. Here in CT there have been a large number of state tax returns (requesting refunds) filed recently. The state has put a hold on refunds until they can verify they are going to the correct individuals.
Sounds like a timely idea. Apparently a lot of states are plagued with this issue at the moment.

Of course I was referring to the current Turbotax state tax filing suspension - when has just resumed.

It does seem as if there is some massive state tax return fraud going on right now. I guess the fraudsters are trying to get a jump on filing in Feb before many folks have everything they need to file the real returns.
Old 02-07-2015, 08:52 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I just put a freeze on at all three credit bureaus. I did it all online and had no problems. I wonder if I can get Anthem to pay me the $30 I just spent.

I think it would take prison for the executives and capital punishment for the hackers to make any headway against this problem.
Haven't frozen mine yet but it is going to be. Really we should be ticked about having to pay extra for security. Do banks put a fee on your account for putting your money in a vault?

I like the idea of the punishments. These companies act like they're victims and nobody can stop these evil hackers.

BS if their freedom and the company's future depended on them not being breached; they would start to understand what "state of the art data protection" entails.

The hackers can be detected and stopped. I don't know what century our providers think were living in but the major DB vendors have provided "data at rest encryption" for years. Networks have been able to be encrypted almost forever. Offsite backups have supported strong encryption for years.

Proper security design, testing and routine drills would end 99.999% of these attacks. I've known companies that routinely run DDOS attacks against their own systems to see who's asleep at the wheel. It's all about proper controls, access rights, policies, internal controls and enforcement

What I've read from the latest hack is a port was opened then someone "forgot" to close it. If that's true the person(s) and their management should be locked up until they figure out the simple solution to what they did wrong.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 08:59 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

What bothers me is that much of this confidential information about employees and customers is not even encrypted. Encrypting important data is Secruity 101. There is nothing exotic about it.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 09:42 AM   #52
Full time employment: Posting here.

Here's an update for those about to start this process...

Equifax - Used their online web page, and everything went smooth until after I put in credit card info and got an error something like "we couldn't process your request". Called them, and the lady verified my identity, and confirmed the freeze took effect and I'd be receiving the PIN by US mail in a few days. Took less than 5 minutes online, and probably another 20 or so on the phone (mostly on hold).

Experian - Used their online web page. It asked a few questions to verify my identity, and provided me with the freeze PIN at the end. Took less than 5 minutes.

TransUnion - Used their automated phone system at 1-888-909-8872. Was very simple. Had to give a six-digit security code of my own choosing for any future requests, but that's different than the PIN they assign for freeze purposes. It said to expect a packet by US mail containing that PIN in a few days. Took less than 5 minutes.

All in all, a very simple process, and $30 spent. Well worth it to protect against the incompetence of these companies who seem to be incapable of protecting our information.
LoneAspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 04:26 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheehs1 View Post
Scrabbler:
The phone numbers I got off their websites...if it helps anyone are:

Equifax: 1-800-685-5000 (automate attendant and went smoothly)
Experian: 1-888-397-3742 ( I did this one online and it worked perfectly)
Transunion: 1-888-909-8872 (live person)
FYI - the phone number you quoted above for Experian is incorrect. The correct number is 1-888-397-3742. I called the number you quoted, and ended up with a very annoying automated telephone questionnaire that told me I qualified for a free Caribbean cruise and some free system that alerts somebody if I fall and can't get up.

I am not an Anthem customer, but seeing that I very rarely apply for anything that would require a credit check, have decided to place a credit freeze on all 3 of my accounts. This morning, I accessed my free credit report from Experian, ensured that there was nothing untoward on it, and froze it. For some reason, they were unable to do the credit freeze online, so I did it over the phone.

I'll check and freeze my accounts with the other 2 bureaus in good course.

Thank you sheehs1 for starting this thread.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 06:48 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
FYI - the phone number you quoted above for Experian is incorrect. The correct number is 1-888-397-3742. I called the number you quoted, and ended up with a very annoying automated telephone questionnaire that told me I qualified for a free Caribbean cruise and some free system that alerts somebody if I fall and can't get up.

I am not an Anthem customer, but seeing that I very rarely apply for anything that would require a credit check, have decided to place a credit freeze on all 3 of my accounts. This morning, I accessed my free credit report from Experian, ensured that there was nothing untoward on it, and froze it. For some reason, they were unable to do the credit freeze online, so I did it over the phone.

I'll check and freeze my accounts with the other 2 bureaus in good course.

Thank you sheehs1 for starting this thread.

Major Tom, My apologies. You are correct and if I could change the original phone number listing I would. I remember I initially typed it as "392"…checked my piece of paper…did a double take…and thought I had changed it to the "397' but alas…obviously did not. I have got to get better glasses!!

Wonder if a moderator would be so kind as to change it? Can you moderators do that?
sheehs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 07:56 PM   #55

Quote:
Major Tom, My apologies. You are correct and if I could change the original phone number listing I would. I remember I initially typed it as "392"…checked my piece of paper…did a double take…and thought I had changed it to the "397' but alas…obviously did not. I have got to get better glasses!!

Wonder if a moderator would be so kind as to change it? Can you moderators do that?
The funny thing is that I actually participated in the first automated telephone survey, thinking to myself that it was rather an unprofessional and odd thing for Experian to do while their customers were holding. By the time I had been told by the robo-voice that I was eligible for a "free" Caribbean cruise and was also eligible for some kind of "Senior Lifeline" thing, I got really suspicious. Then, after declining both offers, when the phone system hung up on me instead of connecting me to Experian, I realized I had been "had"!

It's OK. At worst, all they have is my phone number, and their automated system knows that I am over 50, yet under 65. I don't think they can do much with that

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 08:23 PM   #56
Administrator

Quote:
Done
Old 02-07-2015, 08:31 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
What bothers me is that much of this confidential information about employees and customers is not even encrypted. Encrypting important data is Secruity 101. There is nothing exotic about it.
+1. They might as well have put up a sign that said "Hack us first".
Old 02-07-2015, 08:40 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Done
Thanks Gumby! Much appreciated!!
sheehs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 11:07 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I tried the freeze once, after a hack, problem was it caused me to miss out on a good CC offer.
Companies should encrypt all this data, its really easy.
As for a punishment, don't fine a company, just jail the CEO and CFO and board of directors for endangering peoples financial lives.
A penalty like that would make secure encryption job #1 at every big company.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 03:13 PM   #60
gone traveling

This is one of the more comprehensive articles I have seen on what to do:
Anthem hack: Seven ways to protect yourself right now | ZDNet
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote