Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-21-2015, 11:15 AM   #141
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
At some point these corporations and government organizations have to start taking our privacy much more seriously.
A big +1 to that. There needs to be serious legal repercussions for organizations not meeting certain minimum security standards when dealing with the private data of customers.

If we aren't already at the tipping point for legislation to be drafted, what else will it take?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2015, 11:33 AM   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
If we aren't already at the tipping point for legislation to be drafted, what else will it take?
Maybe a big class action lawsuit

Old 02-23-2015, 01:25 PM   #143

Just curious if anyone has received a letter from Anthem?
Old 02-23-2015, 01:26 PM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
No, and I know we're in the group with compromised data.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:10 PM   #145

No ..not yet. And based on the response from AutoID I'm fairly confidant my data was compromised. I have no reason to think it was not.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:22 PM   #146
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
I did in a round-about way from the state retirement system:

Due to the recent Anthem cyberattack, current and former Anthem members (dating back to 2004) are being offered identity repair assistance and credit monitoring services, at no cost, via AnthemFacts.com starting today, Friday, Feb. 13, 2015.

What is Anthem providing?
Anthem has arranged to have AllClear ID protect your identity for two years at no cost to you. The following identity protection can be used at any time during the next two (2) years:

Credit monitoring: Members may enroll in credit monitoring, which alerts consumers when banks and creditors use their identity to open new credit accounts.
Identity theft repair assistance: Should a member experience fraud, an investigator will do the work to recover financial losses, restore the member’s credit, and ensure the member’s identity is returned to its proper condition. This assistance will cover any fraud that has occurred since the incident first began.
Child identity protection: Child-specific identity protection services will also be offered to any members with children insured through their Anthem plan.
What do I need to do?

Credit monitoring is provided at no cost, but requires enrollment. Learn how to sign up at AnthemFacts.com or call 877-263-7995.
Identity Theft Repair assistance (AllClear SECURE), can be activated with a phone call. If a problem arises, simply call 877-263-7995 and a dedicated investigator will do the work to recover financial losses, restore your credit and make sure your identity is returned to its proper condition.
Child identity protection and other additional layers of protection (AllClear PRO), including credit monitoring and a $1 million identity theft insurance policy require enrollment through AnthemFacts.com. For a child under 18 years old, AllClear ID ChildScan identifies acts of fraud against children by searching thousands of databases for use of your child’s information. To use the PRO service, you will need to provide your personal information to AllClear ID. Learn how to sign up at AnthemFacts.com.
When is it available?

Now, as of 2 p.m. ET on Friday, Feb. 13, 2015, visit AnthemFacts.com or call 877-263-7995. AllClear ID is ready and standing by to assist you. You may access these services at any time during the 24 month coverage period. Anthem will also notify potentially impacted current and former members by U.S. Postal mail with this same information on credit monitoring and identity protection services.

What else can I do?

Report incidents
Anthem recommends that potentially impacted members remain vigilant for incidents of fraud and identity theft, including reviewing account statements and monitoring free credit reports. In addition, you can report suspected incidents of identity theft to local law enforcement, Federal Trade Commission, or your state attorney general. To learn more, you can contact the FTC:

Federal Trade Commission
Consumer Response Center
600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20580
(877) 438-4338
Identity Theft | Consumer Information

Contact the credit bureaus
You can obtain additional information from the FTC and the nationwide credit bureaus about fraud alerts and security freezes. You can add a fraud alert to your credit report file to help protect your credit information. A fraud alert can make it more difficult for someone to get credit in your name because it tells creditors to follow certain procedures to protect you, but it also may delay your ability to obtain credit. You may place a fraud alert in your file by calling just one of the three nationwide credit bureaus listed above. As soon as that bureau processes your fraud alert, it will notify the other two bureaus, which then must also place fraud alerts in your file. In addition, you can visit the credit bureau links below to determine if and how you may place a security freeze on your credit report to prohibit a credit bureau from releasing information from your credit report without your prior written authorization.

Equifax
PO BOX 740241
ATLANTA GA 30374-0241
800-685-1111
equifax.com
https://www.freeze.equifax.com/Freez...onalIDInfo.jsp

Experian
PO BOX 9532
ALLEN TX 75013
888-397-3742
experian.com
Security Freeze

TransUnion
PO BOX 6790
FULLERTON CA 92834-6790
800-916-8800
transunion.com
Credit Freeze | Place a Security Freeze on Your Credit | TransUnion

What if I have other questions?
Please visit AnthemFacts.com to learn how to access these services. Anthem has also established a dedicated toll-free number for questions related to this incident. That number is 877-263-7995.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 05:53 PM   #147

Seems this hack was sophisticated and originated overseas.

China suspected in major hacking of health insurer - The Washington Post

Security firm finds link between China and Anthem hack - The Washington Post

Personally, I plan to keep my credit freezes on indefinitely. I find this cybersecurity expert's quote from the Post rather disturbing----
“China sucks up as much information as possible on a variety of people that could come in handy later”
Old 03-02-2015, 09:30 PM   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERhoosier View Post
Personally, I plan to keep my credit freezes on indefinitely.
Me too. I have every reason to believe with the stealing of SSN numbers it will remain a threat.

p.s. Thanks for the Washington Post links!
Old 03-06-2015, 09:15 AM   #149

"A federal watchdog agency says Anthem Inc. has refused to allow it to conduct vulnerability scans of the health insurer's systems in the wake of its recent massive data breach affecting 78.8 million individuals. Anthem also refused to allow scans by the same agency in 2013" This agency would be involved because Anthem does business with the Federal Government.
Anthem Refuses Full IT Security Audit - GovInfoSecurity
Old 03-06-2015, 09:55 AM   #150
Recycles dryer sheets

This week the Washington Post had an article that I think gets to the issue of how neither the government or private businesses are working together to help the little guy. This article basically describes the pointing fingers at each other that Turbo Tax and the IRS and state governments are doing. No one is taking charge and the number of identity thefts for filing of false federal refunds is in the millions per year now.

Who’s to blame when fraudsters use TurboTax to steal refunds? - The Washington Post
Old 03-06-2015, 10:06 AM   #151

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
"A federal watchdog agency says Anthem Inc. has refused to allow it to conduct vulnerability scans of the health insurer's systems in the wake of its recent massive data breach affecting 78.8 million individuals. Anthem also refused to allow scans by the same agency in 2013" This agency would be involved because Anthem does business with the Federal Government.
Anthem Refuses Full IT Security Audit - GovInfoSecurity
And yet we have to buy insurance and have our private information subject to hackers, not only with Anthem but I am sure other insurers who might take the same stance and that do not encrypt their data. I had read where encrypting the data was not required by law. Wonder if that law will ever change!

Perhaps Anthem is more loosey, goosey than we could ever imagine. My take is that if they had up to date safeguards they would have welcomed these audits and used the results to let us know they were doing every thing possible to safe guard information. Clearly they didn't and are not.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:43 AM   #152
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheehs1 View Post
And yet we have to buy insurance and have our private information subject to hackers, not only with Anthem but I am sure other insurers who might take the same stance and that do not encrypt their data. I had read where encrypting the data was not required by law. Wonder if that law will ever change!

Perhaps Anthem is more loosey, goosey than we could ever imagine. My take is that if they had up to date safeguards they would have welcomed these audits and used the results to let us know they were doing every thing possible to safe guard information. Clearly they didn't and are not.
Data at rest encryption has been around for a few years. Few have adopted it yet as there are(were) some early issues(inequality and range queries on encrypted key fields). I'd expect years for it to become law. Upgrade to the vendors DBMS that supports encryption, get all your other vendors to support that release of DBMS etc...

That said you don't have to encrypt data at rest, to keep it secure. You just need to not allow hackers through the DMZ. I'm absolutely appalled that Anthem refused an audit, they must have known they had issues. Seriously it's time for a CIO to be sent to a nice home, free food, orange clothing for a few years.

I spent a couple of years being the auditors lacky. It's not hard to pass the one audit Anthem did allow, it's just control testing.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:48 PM   #153

I received my letter today. While it does not specifically say that my information was compromised it does imply that all 80 million current and former customers are at risk. The free credit monitoring begins on the date of the letter (3/4/15) and continues for 2 yrs. They mention that you can put a fraud alert and/or credit freeze at the 3 credit bureaus. Seems as though the fraud alert is free but for how long is the question I need to clarify.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:14 AM   #154
Give me a forum ...

Many of us non Anthem users can no longer breath a sigh of relief:

Premera Blue Cross Breach Exposes Financial, Medical Records — Krebs on Security

Apparently the criminals had a good 8 months to mess around.

Quote:
the company said that it learned about the attack on January 29, 2015. Premera said its investigation revealed that the initial attack occurred on May 5, 2014.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:43 AM   #155

Also the smaller LifeWise in Oregon and Washington

Two More Health Insurers Report Data Breach
Old 03-18-2015, 11:49 AM   #156
Give me a forum ...

Oh boy - those shoes keep dropping!!!!
Old 03-18-2015, 02:31 PM   #157

Wow!
I have yet to get a letter from Anthem. Have any others received one?
Old 03-18-2015, 02:38 PM   #158
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Wow!
My husband and son each received one over the weekend from Anthem. I received a notice from my retirement system, but nothing directly from Anthem.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 02:46 PM   #159

Thanks Miss Molly. As expected I thought those letters might be slow to get out. USPS must be happy about potentially 80 million more pieces of mail.
Old 03-18-2015, 03:02 PM   #160
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Wow!
Nope.