Join Early Retirement Today

Anthem Hacked: 80 million customers
Old 02-05-2015, 07:52 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Anthem Hacked: 80 million customers

I'm sure most of you know that Anthem healthcare was hacked and 80 million customer and employee records were compromised. Supposedly the hackers did not get financial information but did get SSN numbers, names, addresses, etc. I received an email from Anthem last night and am concerned about identity theft. I'd put a link in this but it is all over the internet and media.

For those of you that put on credit freezes or took steps to protect your identity can you let me (all of us) know the steps you took and/or what companies you used if you were not able to do some of this yourself(Lifelock??).
sheehs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2015, 08:00 AM   #2

Most people can do this themselves without paying a middleman. There are three companies you need to deal with: Equinox, Experian, and Transunion. Here's a decent guide to doing this:

Credit Freeze and Thaw Guide | www.clarkhoward.com
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:48 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

They said they'll contact affected people and offer credit monitoring.

That's not as proactive as doing the credit freeze?

You have to pay to freeze and then to thaw later?
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:51 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Credit freezes are easy to do. Just make sure you right down that code to thaw the account and store it where you know it will be safe. And make certain you can remember where you stored it.

Credit monitoring is like closing the barn door after the horse has left, and then looking for clues as to where the horse might have gone.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:53 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Looks like they charge $10 to freeze and what, another $10 to thaw?

Times 3 for the 3 credit bureaus?
Old 02-05-2015, 09:59 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Looks like they charge $10 to freeze and what, another $10 to thaw?

Times 3 for the 3 credit bureaus?

Not quite. The price varies by state. Usually, it is for a round trip, so the $10 would be for a freeze and a thaw. Or they simply say the thaw is free. Some states are as little as $3, IIRC. And some are free if one is over 65.

I usually put a time limit on the thaws, say for a week or two, do all my credit bureau type stuff and then let the account re-freeze automatically. It's a bit of a pain, but nothing compared to getting one's credit identity stolen or misused. Now that is a real headache and can cost a lot if one needs to involve a lawyer.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I usually put a time limit on the thaws, sayr for a week or two, do all my credit bureau type stuff and then let the account re-freeze automatically. It's a bit of a pain, but nothing compared to getting one's credit identity stolen or misused. Now that is a real headache and can cost a lot if one needs to involve a lawyer.
Also, you don't necessarily have to thaw all three.

The only time I ever have thawed my account was for identity confirmation. In this case I knew which company they were using, so I just thawed that one. $10 - NBD
Old 02-05-2015, 10:17 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Interestingly, in most states one cannot freeze his/her children's accounts. So identify thieves will often impersonate a young person.

The young victims may not know about it until they turn 18 and apply for credit themselves, or somebody shows up at the door with a warrant for their arrest, a court summons, or other nasty surprise. Not so good.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:24 AM   #9

Chuckanut and others: Do most of you think this is the primary way to prevent your identity from being stolen? It certainly prevents anyone from obtaining a loan, a credit card or from opening an account in your name.
Also I assume that once "the hacker" determines your credit has been frozen, they may drop the effort on that SSN?
Old 02-05-2015, 10:28 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Yeah do you have to only temporarily thaw for an indefinite amount of time?

Equinox says $10 to temporarily or permanently thaw or thaw for a specific party.

When you apply for credit cards, you're not going to know which bureau they use?
Old 02-05-2015, 10:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
There are three companies you need to deal with: Equinox, Experian, and Transunion.
Equifax?
Old 02-05-2015, 10:55 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward View Post
Equifax?
yeah

Sorry, but I blame automatic spelling correction
Old 02-05-2015, 11:25 AM   #13

I just finished putting credit freezes on the three credit reporting agencies. That should take care of the credit side. Thanks mpeirce for the link. Now will look into Lifelock to protect the debit side. A friend just told me it saved him this year when someone counterfeited a check.

I'm getting a bit more serious about this now...
Old 02-05-2015, 11:48 AM   #14
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
Most people can do this themselves without paying a middleman. There are three companies you need to deal with: Equinox, Experian, and Transunion. Here's a decent guide to doing this:

Credit Freeze and Thaw Guide | www.clarkhoward.com

Thanks for the link, it's most useful.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Readyforachange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 12:12 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Readyforachange View Post
Thanks for the link, it's most useful.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
+1
An additional question, for anyone, do both parties of a married couple have to freeze their credit separately? DW has a CC account in her name only, we did that a while ago thinking she would have credit history whenever I depart.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 12:37 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Has anyone received notification directly from Anthem? It'd be useful to know when these go out en masse.
someguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 12:46 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy View Post
Has anyone received notification directly from Anthem? It'd be useful to know when these go out en masse.
I got an email this morning (sent 12:10 AM EST).
Old 02-05-2015, 12:47 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

A couple of things on this.

I'm a current Anthem customer and all I've received is a generic letter with pretty much the information in the press. It said that it may take weeks for the individual messages to be sent.

I believe they probably don't even know what information was leaked, just that it could possibly have affected as many as 80m records (which pretty much sounds like the entire population they've managed for some period of time)

It sounds like they're going to try to narrow down who it really affected and send specific notifications only to those individuals.

It may be difficult for them to figure out exactly who was affected, so they may end up having to contact many people whose data wasn't actually leaked, just on the possibility that it might have been lost.

You can see a copy of the letter and more info at a website they've set up for info on this: www.anthemfacts.com
ulrichw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 02:34 PM   #19
gone traveling

Given the information that was supposedly hacked, I think they should provide identity theft protection, not just credit monitoring.

Edit - just went to their website and identity protection service will also be included
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 02:42 PM   #20
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
An additional question, for anyone, do both parties of a married couple have to freeze their credit separately? DW has a CC account in her name only, we did that a while ago thinking she would have credit history whenever I depart.
Yes, each person I believe has their own credit report.

I froze mine a couple of years ago after my card was cloned and used to the tune of $23k, but it did not stop DW from getting a card in her own name on her own record last year.

I started a new wireless/data plan with AT&T last month and they said it required a credit check, so I asked which firm they used, and while they were still on the phone went online (Experian?) and did a temporary unfreeze, cost $10.

It was the first time I'd done an unfreeze so was pleased that it was very easy to do.