Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-02-2009, 10:53 AM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just one more vote for AVG (free version). I have been using it years on my personal machines and have had much less trouble with it than with the Norton and McAffee nonsense on most of the corporate owned/maintained PC's that I have had.

AVG scans do take longer; but, I just schedule them for a time that I am not likely to be using my PC.

CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2009, 11:51 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolChange View Post
Just one more vote for AVG (free version). I have been using it years on my personal machines and have had much less trouble with it than with the Norton and McAffee nonsense on most of the corporate owned/maintained PC's that I have had.

AVG scans do take longer; but, I just schedule them for a time that I am not likely to be using my PC.
Dumb question. I have a laptop and when it's not in use, I simply close the top and it goes into a safe/sleep mode.(I think) I don't turn pc off. It won't run during this period, will it? I thought if you did have it scheduled during one of these periods, it would kick off when you opened it back up.

Old 05-02-2009, 12:02 PM   #43
Dryer sheet aficionado

This is a little off the subject, but is computor related. Recently, a break-in occurred and thieves using pass keys entered several offices in the L.A. area. Security cameras were disconnected, alarms bypassed, and pass keys used (inside job). The only items taken were computor hard drives. The story, www.dailynews.com/business/ci-1227643 has some interesting cautions for users to undertake. Just thought I'd pass it on. Hope someone might benefit. I, might also note, the security guard was called away when this occurred last weekend.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:04 PM   #44
Dryer sheet aficionado

The article is located in the business section.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:10 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg54 View Post
Dumb question. I have a laptop and when it's not in use, I simply close the top and it goes into a safe/sleep mode.(I think) I don't turn pc off. It won't run during this period, will it? I thought if you did have it scheduled during one of these periods, it would kick off when you opened it back up.
Just change your Power Options (in Control Panel) so that your computer never goes on standby or hibernates. Then it will run closed. You don't want it running on battery during this time, though.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:26 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
Just change your Power Options (in Control Panel) so that your computer never goes on standby or hibernates. Then it will run closed. You don't want it running on battery during this time, though.
I looked and it does have 'never' flagged on system hibernate, but it shows hard disk is turned off after 20 minutes. Should that be 'never' as well? And I reset system standby for never as it was set for 25 minutes.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:33 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg54 View Post
I looked and it does have 'never' flagged on system hibernate, but it shows hard disk is turned off after 20 minutes. Should that be 'never' as well? And I reset system standby for never as it was set for 25 minutes.
Well I set the scan for 3:00a.m. but it didn't run. And it started the scan as soon as I opened my laptop. I guess the hard disk needs to be set to never turned off. Any downside to doing this?
Old 05-03-2009, 09:04 AM   #48
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Here are mine:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Power-option.JPG (105.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-03-2009, 09:18 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
Here are mine:
Thanks. I'll change the hard disk to never and see what happens.
AVG Scans - Powering Down
Old 05-03-2009, 10:28 AM   #50
Full time employment: Posting here.

AVG Scans - Powering Down

Just an FYI: You can set up AVG (even the free version) to power down your PC after its scan completes. Here are the abbreviated instructions for doing this in the free version:

1) Edit your Scheduled scan
2) Click the How to scan tab
3) Click the Additional scan settings ... link
4) Check both the Shutdown computer upon scan completion and the Force shutdown if computer is locked boxes.

I no longer use this feature on any of my PC's; but, if I remember correctly, it does give you a warning message allowing you to skip the shutdown if you are actually working on the PC at the end of the scan. But, realistically, I generally stop or pause the scan while I am working anyway.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 08:19 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Yeaaaaaaaaaaa! Got the updates to run and scan over night. Laptop shuts down after scan. Thanks Kumquat and Coolchange.