Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-10-2016, 05:14 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letj View Post
Spray vinegar daily around the perimeter of the area. If they're in the house, spray around the kitchen sink and counter tops. This avoids use of chemicals and always work for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
From wiki:

Quote:
Vinegar is a liquid consisting of about 520% acetic acid (CH3COOH), water, and other trace chemicals...

Acetic acid /əˈsiːtᵻk/, systematically named ethanoic acid /ˌɛθəˈnoʊᵻk/, is a colourless liquid organic compound with the chemical formula CH3COOH (also written as CH3CO2H or C2H4O2).

Acetic acid is the second simplest carboxylic acid (after formic acid) and consists of two small functional groups, an acetyl group (sometimes symbolized as Ac) and a hydroxyl group (AcOH); it can also be viewed as a methyl group and a carboxyl group linked. It is an important chemical reagent and industrial chemical, used primarily in the production of cellulose acetate for photographic film, polyvinyl acetate for wood glue, and synthetic fibres and fabrics.

Acetic acid is used as a solvent in the production of terephthalic acid (TPA), the raw material for polyethylene terephthalate (PET). In 2006, about 20% of acetic acid was used for TPA production.[29]

Acetic acid is often used as a solvent for reactions involving carbocations, such as Friedel-Crafts alkylation. For example, one stage in the commercial manufacture of synthetic camphor involves a Wagner-Meerwein rearrangement of camphene to isobornyl acetate; here acetic acid acts both as a solvent and as a nucleophile to trap the rearranged carbocation.[45]

It has been reported that, in 12 workers exposed for two or more years to acetic acid airborne average concentration of 51 ppm (estimated), produced symptoms of conjunctive irritation, upper respiratory tract irritation, and hyperkeratotic dermatitis. Exposure to 50 ppm or more is intolerable to most persons and results in intensive lacrimation and irritation of the eyes, nose, and throat, with pharyngeal oedema and chronic bronchitis.
They're putting those darn chemicals in everything nowadays! When's it gonna stop!

-ERD50

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2016, 05:31 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
From wiki:

They're putting those darn chemicals in everything nowadays! When's it gonna stop!

-ERD50
Yeah, they are even in your body as part of your makeup.

Old 06-10-2016, 05:36 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Yeah, they are even in your body as part of your makeup.
I would have never guessed you used body makeup...not to mention ingesting it.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 05:40 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I would have never guessed you used body makeup...not to mention ingesting it.
I'll post a photo later....

But I need to get back to the AI thread for a while.
Old 06-11-2016, 05:28 PM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

Some small brown ants showed up in the kitchen this spring. I got some ant killer dust with boric acid in it and dusted the ground around the foundation. Haven't seen an ant since.
Old 06-11-2016, 05:58 PM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Amdro or Over n Out
Old 06-11-2016, 06:59 PM   #47

A few minutes of reading about ants... in Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ant

Quote:
As pests
See also: Ants of medical importance

The tiny pharaoh ant is a major pest in hospitals and office blocks; it can make nests between sheets of paper
Some ant species are considered as pests. The presence of ants can be undesirable in places meant to be sterile. They can also come in the way of humans by their habit of raiding stored food, damaging indoor structures, causing damage to agricultural crops either directly or by aiding sucking pests or because of their stings and bites. The adaptive nature of ant colonies make it nearly impossible to eliminate entire colonies and most pest management practices aim to control local populations and tend to be temporary solutions.
Some of the ants classified as pests include the pavement ant, yellow crazy ant, banded sugar ants, the Pharaoh ant, carpenter ants, Argentine ant, odorous house ants, red imported fire ant, and European fire ant. Ant populations are managed by a combination of approaches that make use of chemical, biological and physical methods. Chemical methods include the use of insecticidal bait which is gathered by ants as food and brought back to the nest where the poison is inadvertently spread to other colony members through trophallaxis. Management is based on the species and techniques can vary according to the location and circumstance.
Important to identify the species of ant. There are 12,000 identified species, and an estimated 22,000 species in total.

The current challenge at our camp, is the almost invisible ghost ant..

". Ants thrive in most ecosystems and may form 15–25% of the terrestrial animal biomass"

Did you know they are related to bees? "The family Formicidae belongs to the order Hymenoptera, which also includes sawflies, bees, and wasps"

"Termites, although sometimes called 'white ants', are not ants. They belong to the sub-order Isoptera within the order Blattodea. Termites are more closely related to cockroaches and mantids."

Aren't you glad you read this?

Now, the anatomy:
Attached Images
File Type: png 450px-Scheme_ant_worker_anatomy-en.svg.png (80.5 KB, 8 views)
Old 06-12-2016, 07:33 AM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.

I used some terro bait traps yesterday. The ants just swarmed around them. I have read the reviews and it says it takes a couple days before the poison works, but from what I am seeing I am hopeful. these are just the common ants that are around the yard, not fire ants, carpenter ants or termites.

frank
Old 06-17-2016, 04:09 PM   #49

Speramint /peppermint oil, they hate it and will avoid any area it is spayed, plus it smells nice and lasts a really long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 06-18-2016, 07:52 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash031 View Post

- When you find ants in a room, resist the temptation to kill them individually. Find out where they're coming from and stop it there. This means tracing them back to their entry point, not just finding where in the house they're coming in.
We've seen half a dozen solitary ants inside the house within the past week.....today we tried to follow one, (taking turns, of course, so he wouldn't suspect he was being tailed), but it seems that he ducked into a doorway, put on a fake mustache, and we lost sight of him.

Curses, foiled again!

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 08:19 PM   #51

borax