Join Early Retirement Today

ANWAR Drilling one step closer
Old 03-16-2005, 03:39 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

ANWAR Drilling one step closer

O.K., so the senate brought drilling for oil in the Arctic Wildlife Preserve a little closer today. In the article I read, they said the following:

The U.S. Geological Survey’s estimate of the economically recoverable resources is about 6 billion barrels at prices at or above $35 per barrel. The United States imported an average of about 9.7 million barrels of crude oil per day in January.

So at first I thought that sounded like a pretty good amount of oil, until I did the math and realised it's about 1.7 years worth of oil! Now I understand we wouldn't pump it all out at once, but would this amount really help national security and break OPEC's power? Isn't this really about helping out the Senators from Alaska and bringing a bunch of pork barrel style jobs and money to those with influence? And I say pork barrel because the proposed "subsidy" to help build this is 2.6 billion. Don't we have better uses for our money? Especially when we are racking up half a trillion in debt every year? Sorry and thanks for letting me rant.....
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: ANWAR Drilling one step closer
Old 03-16-2005, 04:05 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

They must be reading a different Bible than me, God said be caretakers of the Earth. If Earth was your child, this kind of caretaking would get you 20 years in prison! If the world is going to end in a few years, why bother drilling at all, we've got plenty of oil to last us that long! And if they are serious about getting us independent of foriegn oil, 2.6 billion in hydrogen car research would go alot farther towards that goal! It really ticks me off.....
Old 03-16-2005, 04:17 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
\And if they are serious about getting us independent of foriegn oil, 2.6 billion in hydrogen car research would go alot farther towards that goal! *It really ticks me off.....
Just start raising the CAFE numbers again. Put them on a gradual rise so that they'll be double what they are now in say 15-20 years. Then let the market decide how to get there.

Funding some basic research in hydrogen at the same time wouldn't hurt but no guarantees on solving the storage problem in the near term.
Hyperborea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 04:41 PM   #4

charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 10:52 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Probably be a better idea to include SUV's and other large vehicles in the CAFE requirements. I drive a big SUV but I'd have been just as happy with something with the same hauling capacity but a lot better mileage. I know they can do it.

What most people dont realize is that most of this expected "undiscovered" new oil probably wont amount to a drop in the bucket. We already know where most of the oil is, its just that a good bit of it is contaminated or very expensive to extract. Newer technologies and higher oil prices may make this less desirable oil extractable...but its very unlikely we're going to find some huge reserve of sweet crude that'll last us another 250 years...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 11:16 AM   #6

I like it, and it's about time. They are gonna use a miniscule bit of Anwar, and mostly in the winter when snow covers everything. All of this whining about saving Anwar is nonsense, and it's actually helped to drive up price of barrel of oil. They told us the same thing when Prudhoe Bay was drilled, and the frigging animals love the pipeline, and nuzzle up to it to keep warm.

I can't argue about the cost, though, it's probably costlier just to keep environmentalists from shrieking.

Y'all remember Jimmy Carter and that stupid sweater and his presidental fireside chats, when he told us we we guilty of a malaise and to just turn down the thermostadts? What a crock of cosmic ca ca? You guys wanna conserve, be my guest. Stop traveling, sell your SUVs, and God Bless Ole Jimmy, turn down your thermostadts, especially if you live in Minnesota!

BTW, if we gotta be saved, technology will save us, not conserving.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 11:28 AM   #7

Quote:
They told us the same thing when Prudhoe Bay was drilled
You obviously didn't hear about the Valdez Oil Spill.

Fine let's pursue technology, but drilling in ANWAR is no solution to the oil shortage we are facing. It's pure nonsense!
Old 03-17-2005, 04:41 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry, don't remember Jimmy, 5 years old when Ronnie was elected. The point is ANWAR will add so little, it's pointless! The fact that they have to subsidize the oil companies to do it shows how little it's really worth. If oil companies were at the table offering to pay for rights, or offering to turn exhausted oil feilds back in to protected open space, or SOMETHING then there could be a discussion. But to say they want to be bribed to go there as well?

You have a good point though, Eagle43, I'm sick of my coworkers driving in with their F-550 triple crew cab 4x4 that has never been anywhere but work and the grocery store complaining about gas prices. But conservation is not a bogus idea, penny saved is a penny earned. Also, anyone consider how many things are made from petrolium? Plastics for one, are ubiquitous.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:42 AM   #9

I like and respect Friedman. But, this has the standard Democratic answer for everything: Raise Taxes. Yawn! Next we'll be hearing about lowering the speed limit to 55.

If we're getting oil from Alaska today, why can't we get it from Anwar?

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 08:50 AM   #10

Quote:
But, this has the standard Democratic answer for everything: Raise Taxes. Yawn!
This old mantra is getting very tired and is not true.

Tell me this. Where is the money going to come from that Bush is spending like no one else in U.S. History?
Old 03-21-2005, 12:11 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Plastics for one, are ubiquitous.
Many medicines, fertilizers and other items rather critical for raising food are also made from oil or oil byproducts.

Sure would be nice if we figured out how to reduce our reliance on energy by getting going on reducing our oil consumption and finding alternatives. The energy put into getting the ok to drill holes in hopes of finding what might be enough oil to fulfill worldwide consumption for a year or so while deferring other more proactive consumption problems seems curious.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote