Any adhesives or label experts here?

tgotch

Recycles dryer sheets
I have a little hobby business of turning liquor, wine and beer bottles into drinkware, candles, vases, etc.

There are some bottles that have plastic type labels. Skyy vodka, Pinnacle Vodka, Ketel One, etc.

The labels are a bear to get off, and leave an adhesive residue once the label is removed. I have to work pretty hard to get the label off (pick and peel, pick and peel...), then spray adhesive residue with Goof Off and let soak overnight. Then scour with a Brillo pad.

Does anyone know an easier way to get these labels and glue residue off? I have tried Oxy clean with limited success, as well as Lime-away.

I suppose a hammer or a blow-torch is out of the question?

Sorry, but Goof Off is about the best thing I've run across for removing those pesky adhesives. Some are a real PITA...

I've been tempted to throw a few at the wall, then I think the label would come right off :)

It may not be true anymore, but my Dad used to collect labels off wine bottles. He'd just put them in the sink full of water and leave them for an hour or so, and they'd almost float off on their own, fully intact. He just dried them and pressed them flat, seemed to work every time. But that was 40 years ago, they probably use adhesives these days that render that method ineffective - and you're probably already aware of it. Best of luck...

Mineral spirits is generally my go-to solution for that sort of thing.

Acetone is always the best for me (nail polish remover).

You should score the label first using a razor blade in a tic tac toe format or with a paper tiger tool (used to remove wallpaper). Then use any of the chemicals mentioned already or soak the bottle followed by scraping with a razor blade scraper (found in the paint dept, cost under $2.50) to speed up the process.

I've had amazing success removing leftover adhesive via, of all things, peanut butter. Just rub a little in. It seems the peanut oil quickly sticks to the adhesive such that the adhesive won't stick to anything else.

Last edited:
There's a great product called Un-du that's I've found useful for 'unsticking' things like stickers, labels, tapes, etc.

https://un-du.com/

omni

Check out their videos. Un-du can even remove duct tape from single-ply toilet paper (Not a practical use, but impressive nonetheless. LOL)

Last edited:
There's a great product called Un-du that's I've found useful for 'unsticking' things like stickers, labels, tapes, etc.

https://un-du.com/

That's pretty impressive.
But FWIW, I note that their FAQ says it won't remove glue, only self-sticking adhesives.
In the beer bottling world, only the most expensive labels use self-sticking adhesive. Most use some type of glue.

Another thought is a heat gun for paint removal. They're not cheap to buy for this purpose of removing labels and glue, but if you already have one it's a great tool to remove almost anything without chemicals. Follow it up with a razor scraper and paper towels and you can get the bottle clean quickly.

Try running boiling hot water over them. I use to do this with car dealer stickers and it worked every time.

Originally Posted by braumeister
Mineral spirits is generally my go-to solution for that sort of thing.
Do you soak? How do you use it?

Put the bottle in a container just slightly larger than itself. Fill with mineral spirits (I do this outdoors, or in the garage in winter). Soak for half an hour or so. Usually works. Difficult cases are helped along with a single edged razor blade.

The "odorless" mineral spirits I get from Home Depot is actually fairly low odor, and not objectionable at all. When you're done, just pour the mineral spirits back into the can, cap it and save for the next time. It lasts for a very long time, depending on what you soak in it.

Earlier this week, I was trying to get the glue residue from a label off a plastic box. After some frustration and trying household cleaners, I looked around in Google and saw the suggestion of using WD-40, as someone has already suggested in this thread. I gave it a quick spray, waited about a minute and it wiped off completely. I couldn't believe it. My disclaimer is I don't know how well it will work on a complete label, as my only trial was on just the sticky glue residue.

Last edited:
I don't know if this would necessarily work as well, but one trick I've heard for removing some things that are stuck-on is to use PVC primer (stuff you'd use before gluing two PVC plumbing fittings together). Would probably need to scoriate the label first with a razor blade to make sure it gets some in the middle.

Given all of the replies, hopefully one of these will work for you!

Back
Top Bottom