Join Early Retirement Today

Any advice as I look for a new recliner?
Old 06-22-2007, 07:54 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Any advice as I look for a new recliner?

Im looking for a nice, reasonably priced recliner to replace an old chair in my living room. I would prefer a very 'puffy' black italian leather recliner, but will settle for that suede-like material in black.

I dont know what to look for or avoid in a recliner....I'd like one to last me about 10 years....preferrably longer. I'll be in it daily, as it will replace my current favorite chair - I'm usually in it for at least 5 hrs/day.

Any input?
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2007, 08:01 PM   #2

Go to a Lazy Boy Store and take a book to read! Sit in each of the recommended chairs for about 30 minutes and then get the correct one. You can also wait and watch for their sale to purchase!
crazy connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 08:11 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed View Post
Im looking for a nice, reasonably priced recliner to replace an old chair in my living room. I would prefer a very 'puffy' black italian leather recliner, but will settle for that suede-like material in black.
See if your local Craigslist has a seller in the "Furniture" section. If it's active in your area and you're in no hurry to buy, one will pop up in the next few months for a few hundred bucks.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 08:46 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Only a man would want a puffy black leather recliner.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 09:34 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Check out costco and sams club, if you have a card. They have some recliners in stock that are pretty dang cheap, and a bunch on the web site. I think you can buy from costcos site for an extra x% without being a member...but it might be worth it just for the chair.

I nabbed a brown leather rocker recliner for my wife to use as a nursing chair 3 years back...I believe it was $225 new...

Or as Nords mentioned...buy it a little used.

Furniture often comes with a 40-200% markup...which is why its good to go with a warehouse store or go used.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 12:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy connie View Post
Go to a Lazy Boy Store and take a book to read!
Sit in each of the recommended chairs for about 30 minutes and then get the correct
one. You can also wait and watch for their sale to purchase!
I agree with the Lazy Boy suggestion. I am a big guy, and only the Lazy Boys
felt solid when I plopped into them - did not give a millimeter. All the others
felt weak by comparison.
Old 06-23-2007, 06:44 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

We got a LaZ Boy last year for DW but found price was cheaper from a local furniture store that sold LaZ Boy recliners than the LaZ Boy Store down the street by about 10%.
F-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 07:48 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

We have a couple of Laz-Boy recliners and swear by them. I inherited the one with automatic lift (for my late MIL) and heated vibration. Freaks out the cats.
bssc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 07:50 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Our recliner is the Lazy Boy that my dad bought 30 years ago. It is very comfortable. We had it reupholstered 15 years ago (the original color was 'amazing'). It cost us more to have do have it reupholstered than to buy a typical "new" chair, but we knew we wanted to keep it. It is comfortable and built very well (very sturdy frame, smooth operating mechanism, and high-quality foam that doesn't sag).
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 07:51 AM   #10

I had a Lazy Boy recliner in NY for 15 years and sold it at a tag sale, I was sad to see it go. I bought the same exact one in Fla. as soon as I got here. Now I have more time to use it.

Buy a Lazy Boy, never a problem.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 07:57 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Comments:

1: I've had to repair our La-z-boy recliners several times (see this thread). They've had problems in a number of locations.

2. When we bought them the "lifetime warranty!" sounded great, but when you find that it only includes labor (or parts?) and you still have to get the couch or recliner to them, it is of no value.

3. I recommend against the ones with a hand lever. We got that so that we could recline partway -- but we never do.

4. We got a cheap black faux-leather type, 12 years ago, and it's been great.

5. Almost any recliner is going to feel super comfortable for a few minutes. Connie's suggestion is a good one.

6. Craigslist and garage sales and patience is what I'd do.
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 12:03 PM   #12

DH and I shopped for comfortable recliners for at least 5 years (not actively, but we would sit in them wherever they had them and we were ready to buy). We finally purchased two leather BarcaLoungers from Macy's. We sat in them and immediately knew they were the ones we had been looking for.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 04:41 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Is it me or are these things the hardest things to decorate around. They always stick out like a sore thumb.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 06-23-2007, 05:54 PM   #14

I've been a LaZBoy boy for decades... I'm in one now. But we recently remodeled the den and, on a tip from a friend shopped around for a BEST recliner. Bought 2 of them. Good quality, cheaper than LaZBoy. Six months later, I love the BEST brand.

Check it out.
Old 06-23-2007, 06:28 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Might check out JCPenney, too. We bought a recliner from them a couple of years ago, and have been very pleased with it. (Of course, my older cat thinks we bought it just for her)
Old 06-23-2007, 07:25 PM   #16

Cattsubabe - You are correct about the difficulty decorating around recliners. Fortunately, we didn't have any decorating sense prior to getting the recliners so there hasn't been any decline due to having them.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 10:27 AM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Only a man would want a puffy black leather recliner.
lol!! guilty as charged
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 02:15 PM   #18

DH loves his BarcaLounger, it was a little more expensive than a Lazy Boy but well worth the extra. It's big and poofy tan leather, he spends about 4 hours a day in it either sitting or sleeping. We had a Lazy Boy and he destroyed it

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 04:34 PM   #19

My observations:

Lay-Z-Boy is out of my price range. Some were as cheap/much as 800 or so...but that's too much for me right now. If I do that, I might as well get a whole new set.

Levin (Cleveland/Pittsburgh chain)- Was a bit better...they carry many brands, including Lane (most reasonable) and a few others, BUT I was turned off by their rude staffmembers

WaySide- Found the one I wanted...and Ashley piece, but was FURIOUS at the rude salesman. It took all I had not to clock him right there in the store. It turns out the one I really liekd there for $499 is not made in black. I will go directly to an Ashley store soon to see what they have. Anyone have Ashley Furnitur...I hear they are national.

Discount Stores (Big Lots, Value City etc)- CRAP...junk... $300-400 but not worth 100

So, Im going to head to ASHELY FURNITURE and check out 2 seats I found online...The Sydney and Sonoma. The one I like is the DOVER Ashley Furniture: Showroom, but it only comes in beige- $499.

Can anyone put their $.02 in about ASHLEY Furniture?
Old 06-25-2007, 08:23 PM   #20

a google search shows a plethora of negativities regarding ASHLEY FURNITURE

Has anyone had any 1st-hand experience? I found a chair in their store for $500 that I liike a lot.