Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-31-2007, 09:18 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have chronic low back pain and five years ago I bought a VERY firm brand name mattress thinking it would help my back. It never was that comfortable until I bought a 2" thick memory foam topper for it (on line). Now I sleep great on it. The topper was only $80 so I figured it was worth a try.

Grumpy

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

foam warmer?
Old 10-31-2007, 10:32 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

foam warmer?

Some have been saying that foam (off-brand?) is warmer, but my impression has been that tempur-pedic has been cooler in the hot weather and warms up nicely in the cold.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:46 PM   #23
Administrator

Not a fan of memory foam but.. I have a latex foam mattress from Englander that is several years old and LOVE it. It feels more like a traditional mattress w/o/ that "sink into the sand" feeling that memory foam seems to have. It's not hot or cold that I've noticed and DH is happy with it as well.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:24 PM   #24

Went with Serta Perfect Sleeper Pillow-top...we sleep much better now - more reasonable than the higher tech beds
Old 11-01-2007, 05:56 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

I think it depends on issues you have (back, etc) and what kind of sleeper you are. Do you sleep on your back or side or stomach? Do you need to move during the night or stay in one position all night? We tried foam mattress and pillow top but both give too much in wrong spots (we are stomach sleepers) and need a firm mattress. Ended up with sleep number bed, and after some adjusting of the firmness, both DW and I love it. She has a chronic back issue and really loves this bed.
But again I think the issue in selecting a bed for you is to figure out how you sleep and find bed that works with that.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:26 AM   #26

no, THIS is the Mac of mattresses:
Hästens Sängar - Hstens Beds

Seriously.. I wouldn't take a tempurpedic as a gift. We have a 'regular' mattress but I don't even like the slimy poly fabric, stuffing and foam there is in it now.. I would rather get a more "breathable" natural fiber one of some kind.. even a cotton futon would be better (and more environmentally friendly). In Italy there are some places that still make mattresses out of natural materials like wool and horsehair.. often they are two-sided (winter/summer). The downside is that they should be opened up and re-carded every few years and this is a dying art/practice.

Sadly, it seems that, even for many Italian shepherds, wool is now a byproduct that is often tossed out, since there's no longer the mattress market the commercial value is not worth the effort of cleaning.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:55 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Hmm, let's see.. choosing a new mistress, eh?

Well, first make sure the old one doesn't work well. Try it out. Sagging? Unfamiliar lumps? Time to replace.

Try jumping on the new one. Can you feel the bounce? Soft, with pleasing feel and shape? Those are good signs.

Finally, if you can't rotate and flip periodically, it may be more than you can handle. Choose a smaller and less challenging model.

Hope that helps.

Oh.. mattress. Sorry. Never mind.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 08:11 AM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Wow, people are sure passionate about their mattresses. You'd think they were sleeping with them...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
And furthermore....
Old 11-01-2007, 08:58 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

And furthermore....

Pillows - two for $14.99

Serta Memory Foam Contour Pillows (Set of 2) : Bedding & Bath from Overstock.com
Old 11-01-2007, 09:04 AM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

I had a latex foam mattress a few years back. I believe it's taking up valuable space in the landfill today. I now have one of those crazy air-filled things now...VERY expensive. I bought it because DW and I CANNOT sleep well on similar firmness. I'm not completely happy with the current system, lower back gets very stiff when I sleep on my back. Frankly I'm not certain the perfect matress exists for our combination of backs. Oh, and my side has developed an air leak! I have to pump it up each night before I go to bed. Did I mention how expensive this thing was?
Old 11-01-2007, 09:07 AM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfpelican View Post
That's a great price - the pair we got from 'ol favorite Costco were about 3 times that as i recall. While i'm jazzed about the memory foam mattress the pillows didn't make the cut - went back to down. The pillows were just too unforgiving and non-compliant: unscrunchable. Could be there's a lack of weighty matters running 'round my brain that would have squished the pillow into submission.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:35 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to JonnyM Send a message via Yahoo to JonnyM
I was totally skeptical, ok downright negative about the Sleep Number Select Comfort thingy. I supported DW's choice to try one, and I tell you, I'll never go back. Combined with a nice feather bed topper, it is just glorious. They really do hold up and keep their pressure setting. I check it now and then, and it just doesn't change, a real suprise. She and I use totally different settings and are both very happy with the total effect. We sleep better with much more comfort. I add that we didn't find it particularly expensive purchased thru a mail order discount house. Some assembly required, but maybe 20 min. one time total effort.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:51 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightasadrum View Post
I had a latex foam mattress a few years back. I believe it's taking up valuable space in the landfill today. I now have one of those crazy air-filled things now...VERY expensive. I bought it because DW and I CANNOT sleep well on similar firmness. I'm not completely happy with the current system, lower back gets very stiff when I sleep on my back. Frankly I'm not certain the perfect matress exists for our combination of backs. Oh, and my side has developed an air leak! I have to pump it up each night before I go to bed. Did I mention how expensive this thing was?
You oughta do what my parents did. Buy a pair of twin mattresses in different firmnesses and feel to suit themselves, push them together and put a big comforter over the two of them.

I used to fall in "the crack" a lot when I was a little kid.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 10:57 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
You oughta do what my parents did. Buy a pair of twin mattresses in different firmnesses and feel to suit themselves, push them together and put a big comforter over the two of them.
My parents did this in their later years.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:06 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

This also provided a nice mechanism for me to know when my dad was in the dog house. My mom would push his mattress to the other side of the room.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:45 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

For those of you that chose the memory foam style mattress - What type of a foundation are you using? I would like to keep the look of a standard bed and I guess I can build a suitable frame to get the proper size if needed.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:20 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileydog View Post
For those of you that chose the memory foam style mattress - What type of a foundation are you using? I would like to keep the look of a standard bed and I guess I can build a suitable frame to get the proper size if needed.

I built our bed - got to pick the exact height i wanted and spent under $200 on it. Think it was 3 sheets of 3/4" finish plywood for the sides and ends, cut with the legs nesting. That also gave enough wood to build a center lengthwise beam. 2 sheets of 3/4" sanded shop to go under the mattress. Some oak trim that was laying around, a bit of sanding and stain, some carpet remnants under the feet, and it works just fine. Mattress top is 30" high, nested into the frame 1", which holds the sheets without making it tough to tuck them in, top of the sides is about 20".
Old 11-01-2007, 07:51 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Put ours on a regular box spring I got at sams club for $98. You dont need a foundation with them though, they can be placed on a solid platform, or even on the floor.

I briefly considered building a platform attached to the wall with a custom headboard, but my wife listened to that idea and I saw her brain jump to the year and a half before I finished it and another six months before I stained or painted it and she said "Umm...no!"

I guess I shouldnt have cut that hole in the garage ceiling and then never fixed it for four years.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:19 PM   #39
Full time employment: Posting here.

pfpelican Thanks I think for the overstock link, you just helped facilitate the first consumer purchase as a result of my participation on this board.
After reading some of this link the other day I decided to stop at a tempurepedic store today. I tested out a couple beds but at $2,500 it would have to be a planned purchase (maybe in the spring) so I asked how much for a pillow it was $100 for the cheap one and $200 for the one I liked. I just made a purchase at overstock.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:25 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Memory Foam Mattress, Adjustable Beds, Mattress Toppers, Foam Bed

We looked at TempuPedic and then compared with Bragada and just ordered a Bragada bed. It got good reviews at Epinions.com - Compare Prices and Read Reviews on The Vienna Memory Foam Mattress by Bragada at Epinions.com

We our now sleeping on a 7 year old select comfort and waking up with aching body parts.