Join Early Retirement Today
Old 04-10-2008, 07:34 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
Midpack - just checked out the WaterRower on the net. How do you like this machine? I'm interested as it seems to work most/all muscle groups.
I workout 6 days a week alternating resistance with cardio every other day.

I like the WaterRower and I bought it because it does offer a real full body cardio workout (those goofy "arms" on treadmills and ellipticals don't compare). It has a heart rate readout so I can adjust my pace to put my heart rate wherever I want it.

But I use the treadmill more than the WaterRower because it allows me to enter a custom cardio workout to get exactly what I want. I basically do 4 cardio intervals from 70% to 85% of max heart rate over 24 minutes with a 2 minute warm up and a 2 minute cool down after - or 28 minutes total. Where I have to adjust my rate on the WaterRower, with treadmill it alters incline and speed to force my heart rate to follow the program.

If I wasn't getting a good upper body workout on resistance days, I'd probably use the WaterRower almost exclusively.
With my workout routine, the WaterRower is my second choice for indoor cardio.

No one agrees with other people's opinions; they merely agree with their own opinions -- expressed by somebody else. Sydney Tremayne
Retired Jun 2011 at age 57

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2008, 07:59 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets
I have a treadmill manufactured by TRUE Fitness at home. I like it very much. I really like the Interval Heart Rate Control workouts. Put on your chest strap heart rate monitor transmitter, program in your desired interval profile, and the machine takes over. A very effective workout.

Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 06:53 AM   #23
I have an older Bowflex, Bowflex dumbells, Life Fitness treadmill and Life Fitness recumbent bike, with a tv. This arrangement works fine for me. Never had a problem with anything. You should be able to get a great system for 10-15k.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 07:49 AM   #24
Probably I will spend much less for the workout room that I tentatively plan to set up after ER next year and my move to Missouri. But I plan to buy equipment one item at a time and to build my home gym over a period of several years. I'll start with a high quality treadmill and TV, and see how that goes. If I find that I do use it consistently, then I might get an elliptical, Bowflex, and/or set up a stretching station eventually.

My present gym charges less than $600/year for a full, unlimited gym membership. At an SWR of 4%, that would be equivalent to a lump sum of only $15K. I have access to far more equipment than we are talking about in this thread, all top quality, and the gym maintains and replaces it as needed. Plus, there are several indoor pools, whirlpool, steam room, trained personnel to ask questions of, and dozens of classes available. The main disadvantages are that hours are limited, and I have to drive several miles over the interstate and down busy streets to get to the gym. When I move to Missouri I don't want to have to drive in the snow and ice just to get to a gym every day. Maybe I'll end up living close enough to a gym to walk there. That would be ideal.

The OP wants his home gym to be completely set up right from the start. I could see spending $30K on such a setup, if I was sure that I would use it consistently for the rest of my life. If it makes him happy to be able to work out on the best of equipment at home, why not? Some ER's spend money on international travel, and others may prefer to spend money on a home gym.
"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." - - - C. Columbus
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 08:14 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets
I use a Vasa Trainer which is designed for swimmers. It is a common piece of equipment at collegiate and club swim programs. Well built, simple, and a killer exercise. I have never tried the ergometer version listed on their website.

Vasa Ergometer Swim Bench, Canoe and Kayak paddling machine, Vasa Trainer total gym

If you live near a large swimming community you may see used ones for sale on an occassion. I don't see any meaningful difference between the old models and the new.
boutros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 08:11 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.
Find your local Precor dealer and check out their AMT 100. They provide all the equipment to the Biggest Loser Gyms. Golds Gym and 24 Fitness have their ellipticals as anchor equipment. Equipment reviewers generally rate Life Fitness and Precor as the best aerobic providers
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 08:48 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
I got to go with Grizz on this one, big time.

I got my treadmill for free. Someone thought it was broken, but there was just a plug that had come loose. 104 listings for treadmill in San Diego craigslist.

I got my rower for $44 at a second hand sports store -- it would have been less at a garage sale.

Both of these work great, and have been used regularly for the 4-10 years I've had them. They are comfortable, and give a me a fine workout.

Are you absolutely sure you're going to keep up with the exercise? Perhaps you could spend $100 at a garage sale for a treadmill, and use it for a year to make sure you're committed. There's a buyer's market for used exercise equipment, since most people only use it for a while.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg treadmill.jpg (129.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Treadmill2.jpg (86.5 KB, 4 views)

TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote