Join Early Retirement Today

Any Amazon Prime Households Here?
Old 10-15-2016, 12:18 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Any Amazon Prime Households Here?

I'm a bit confused about my situation. Apparently according to Amazon, I'm the Prime Member and when getting the 5% rewards from the Amazon Prime Store Card (Synchrony Bank) , only I can sign up for that. Yet DW can order merchandise and get it shipped via 2 day Prime.

She also sampled some kind of Prime video but when she wanted to see more, it wasn't allowed. Amazon says if I add DW to the household, she should be able to accomplish that.

Questions:
1)does it cost more to add the second adult to the household? Amazon says no but because of some initial confusion, confirmation would be useful.
2)What is her status now? She gets the Prime shipping benefits but she is not
a household member?
3)Does that thing about the video sound like it will be fixed if DW is added to
household?

My understanding of this whole situation is probably not very good so please feel free to clarify.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2016, 02:13 AM   #2

We just use one login in our house. I guess technically I am the prime member but it isn't an issue since DH just uses the same login as I use when he does something on Amazon.

Old 10-15-2016, 06:47 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

One of my daughters is a "household member" so we can more easily share Kindle books. It doesn't cost me anything extra.

Both daughters are able to use the Prime shipping benefit. For free streaming of video or music, they sign in using my login id

DH doesn't use an Amazon account. If he finds something he wants to buy, I order it for him.
Old 10-15-2016, 06:55 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don't know anything about Amazon's credit card, but I added DW to my "household" long ago and she shares all my Prime benefits.

One adult household member is free. I don't know how they handle children, but that is a different option.

You can go to:
Your Account > Households > Manage Your Household
to see the status and add DW if she's not already there.
Old 10-15-2016, 07:18 AM   #5
Administrator

Since we have fully integrated finances, we just buy everything using the young wife's account.
Old 10-15-2016, 08:01 AM   #6

Thanks, all, for the replies. I did take a peek at the form for adding a 2nd adult to the household but didn't input any info pending your wisdom. I didn't see anyone else listed there but I don't know if that would should there yet until I started filling in the form. Since it appears that it doesn't cost more to add the 2nd adult, I give that a try today.

Perhaps a hint........DW told me she found a partial solution. Using the older Kindle she was able to view the video she wanted , but not with the iPad. I know the Kindle is registered to me so perhaps Amazon thinks I am viewing the video even tho , presumably, DW logs in using her own info . Maybe we're all somewhat confused, including Amazon, because they seem to have modified their Prime to limit sharing with too many other adults since the initial Prime.
Old 10-15-2016, 05:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
We just use one login in our house. I guess technically I am the prime member but it isn't an issue since DH just uses the same login as I use when he does something on Amazon.
That's what we do. If DW wants something I order it for her.