Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-20-2015, 09:37 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

We are in the midst of training and prepping for a six night backpack into the Grand Canyon next month with the Sierra Club. Very excited, and also very relieved that the details and emergency equipment/expertise will be handled by our highly trained leaders.

We only took up backpacking last year, at 52 and 59 respectively, and we love it. Aside from relishing the physical challenge it affords, we really enjoy having everything we need to sustain us through the duration snug on our backs.

If all goes well on this upcoming trip, we next want to do a backpack on Mt Rainier's Wonderland Trail.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2015, 11:08 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethT View Post
We are in the midst of training and prepping for a six night backpack into the Grand Canyon next month with the Sierra Club. Very excited, and also very relieved that the details and emergency equipment/expertise will be handled by our highly trained leaders.

If it wasn't the middle of HS soccer season, I'd love to join this trip. Rafted down the Grand Canyon last year and would like to experience it a different way. Must add it to my bucket list!

Old 09-20-2015, 11:12 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marketwatcher View Post
Avid backpacker here. Love it. I've done pretty ugh everything available in the Southeast..

My favorite areas in SE were Sipsey Wilderness in AL, AT in north Georgia (Springer and Blood MTNs), South Cumberland State Park and Big South Fork Rec areas in TN......and of course the Smokies.
Old 09-20-2015, 11:16 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Gee... do I wish...
25 years in scouting... another twenty after that. All of New England, Upstate NY (Adirondaks 12 mountains out of 46), Illinois, Wisconsin, Indiana and the Minnesota Boundary Waters... Packing and canoeing...
Thanks so much for helping out American youth by supporting the Scouting program. My older son is an Eagle Scout, his younger brother just finished his Eagle project and just needs to finish up the paperwork. This coming weekend I'm taking a group of young Scouts on a backpack in Alleghany National Forest so heading out tomorrow solo to scout the intended area. Just an overnight-er but it is new for most of the boys, though they've plenty of Scout camping.....which translates to traveling very heavy. Was giving a demonstration of what to pack last week to the boys, showing off my 20+ year old pack & gear.
Old 09-20-2015, 11:27 AM   #25

I used to do a fair amount of backpacking. My then-BF and his parents and I often backpacked in Western New York.

I also did a fabulous longer multi-day hike into the Grand Canyon with a group out of Phoenix. We camped on the Anasazi Reservation and did a few day hikes in the area. (Our leader was 83 years old and very fit. Our one 'accident' was a young guy (about 30) who twisted his ankle, so we divvied- up his pack contents and sort of had to help him along the rock-strewn trail.)

None of my current friends are campers nor backpackers.

omni
Old 09-20-2015, 01:41 PM   #26

Just saw this article about an embezzler of $8.7 million, nickname of Bismarck, who 'hid out' on the Appalachian Trail in plain sight for a few years.

As he was reported as more gregarious than most, I'm wondering if any of you A.T. hikers might have bumped into him?

http://news.yahoo.com/man-facing-8-7...154442168.html

omni
Old 09-20-2015, 02:30 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE2Boys View Post
If it wasn't the middle of HS soccer season, I'd love to join this trip. Rafted down the Grand Canyon last year and would like to experience it a different way. Must add it to my bucket list!
The backpacking trips appear to fill up very, very quickly, so if you see one you like that is open, don't wait too long. This trip, as an example, filled within two weeks of being released on to the national Sierra Club website, in spite of being far from free.

I would imagine there are many that feel as I do - even though we have the proper physical conditioning and necessary equipment, we don't feel as confident about our ability to deal with the unexpected when out in the wilderness, so having experienced leaders with compass expertise, wilderness first aid training and satellite enabled phones is reassuring.