Join Early Retirement Today

Any buyers here for one of these?
Old 05-02-2016, 11:42 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Any buyers here for one of these?

I can afford neither, but if I was pulling an RV the size of a house, I'd opt for the 350(0) with the diesel engine.

My BIL has one of both of the aforementioned toys. The truck rides like a Caddy, is very nicely appointed, and will pull (and stop!) the house-on-wheels, without breaking a sweat.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2016, 11:49 AM   #22
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I can afford neither, but if I was pulling an RV the size of a house, I'd opt for the 350(0) with the diesel engine.

My BIL has one of both of the aforementioned toys. The truck rides like a Caddy, is very nicely appointed, and will pull (and stop!) the house-on-wheels, without breaking a sweat.
(emphasis mine) Each to his own, and I know it's his money, but as for me I'd rather just go to the trouble to figure out where I want my house to be, buy a house there, move in, and be done with it. (Which is what I did). What an incredible pain in the rear to have to tow one's house around while theoretically on vacation.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 12:02 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

DS has a Honda Ridgeline going on 10 years now. Its a gentleman's truck vs a working truck. Probably the most comfortable and best riding truck I have ever been in. Honda is coming out with a major update for 2017, which will be more truck like. Aside from that, I do like the new F150 Platinums, but alas, it will not fit in my small garage.
Old 05-02-2016, 12:20 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
(emphasis mine) Each to his own, and I know it's his money, but as for me I'd rather just go to the trouble to figure out where I want my house to be, buy a house there, move in, and be done with it. (Which is what I did). What an incredible pain in the rear to have to tow one's house around while theoretically on vacation.
You forgot to complain about having to dump the septic tank!

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 12:26 PM   #25
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
You forgot to complain about having to dump the septic tank!
Right, that too!!

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 05-02-2016, 12:58 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Ha ha, what? No way! I'll stick with my minivan, thanks. Lowe's and uhaul rent pick up and flat bed trucks or I can buy/borrow a trailer if I ever need to haul mas fsive quantities or bulk materials.

Until then, I'll take my $8000 7 year old toyota minivan. Much better stuff hauler in general (8 ft couch fit in the back no problem - try that in the standard pick up truck bed!). It also seats 7-8 very comfortably with plenty of weatherproof storage room and interior space.

If I ever needed to haul or tow massive loads or routinely put filthy dripping wet nasty stuff in my cargo compartment, I'd probably go truck. Until that point, I'll stick with a minivan since it's a lot more versatile (and half the price when bought new vs the trucks and nicer IMHO).
Old 05-02-2016, 01:02 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
He believes he bought at rock bottom price of $72,000.
So you pay $72k for the truck and three times that for the trailer .That's when you can really get-away-from-it-all.

Does Starbucks deliver out there ?
Old 05-02-2016, 01:06 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
So you pay $72k for the truck and three times that for the trailer .That's when you can really get-away-from-it-all.

Does Starbucks deliver out there ?
Pretty sure you can purchase a whole franchise for about that price and run it out of the trailer.
Old 05-02-2016, 01:34 PM   #29
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post

If I ever needed to haul or tow massive loads or routinely put filthy dripping wet nasty stuff in my cargo compartment, I'd probably go truck.
Either that, or jump off a bridge. What a dreadful way to spend one's hard earned retirement time, IMO only. YMMV and obviously does for some here.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 05-02-2016, 01:53 PM   #30

Quote:
Either that, or jump off a bridge. What a dreadful way to spend one's hard earned retirement time, IMO only.
Your view of owning a truck and RVing is much like my view of video gaming - a dreadfully wasteful and boring way to spend my remaining time on this earth. Just my opinion, of course.

Old 05-02-2016, 01:54 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Either that, or jump off a bridge. What a dreadful way to spend one's hard earned retirement time, IMO only. YMMV and obviously does for some here.
People pay good money to jump off bridges. It's called BASE jumping and bungee jumping. To each their own...
Old 05-02-2016, 01:56 PM   #32

Quote:
People pay good money to jump off bridges. It's called BASE jumping and bungee jumping. To each their own...
+1

And they probably need a truck to get there!

Old 05-02-2016, 02:04 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I think the brakes are also larger in a 350, but you are correct that the primary difference is in the springs (and thus a larger towing capacity).

I agree that stepping up to a 350 is a wise move. Only $1K in added cost (the last time I looked) but a nice bump in towing/weight capacity - a requirement way too many RV folks underestimate when buying a big trailer.
The body and frame are the same, but the axles and springs are heavier on the 350.
Old 05-02-2016, 02:08 PM   #34

Quote:
Quote:
Your view of owning a truck and RVing is much like my view of video gaming - a dreadfully wasteful and boring way to spend my remaining time on this earth. Just my opinion, of course.
How about you two go RVing in a Candy Apple Red truck with custom rims and video gaming when you stop for the evening? Please let me know how this works out as I think it's one of my better ideas.
Old 05-02-2016, 02:09 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
How about you two go RVing in a Candy Apple Red truck with custom rims and video gaming when you stop for the evening?
Only if W2R agrees to dump the black tank...

Old 05-02-2016, 02:20 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Man, I hope I never get old...
Old 05-02-2016, 02:49 PM   #37

Quote:
Man, I hope I never get old...
+1

Old 05-02-2016, 03:16 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I'm thinking of the future, as at first I thought a 150 could pull a trailer, but talked to some folks who felt that was a bit light, and I should get a 250.
The half-ton truck can pull a lightweight trailer (I'm assuming we're talking about travel trailers here) but you have to keep a close eye on your towing capacity and from what I've read you want to have the real-world tow load no more than 75% of full rated load.

This will restrict your options by a lot. The salesguys will try to sell you the biggest trailer your truck is rated to pull, and they will ignore what the trailer weighs when it is loaded, focusing only on empty weight. Then when you load it with gear and fill the water tank you're starting out overweight, setting the stage for lots of Real Bad Things to happen. People who buy a too-large trailer will do fine on flat ground but when they get into even just hills, let alone mountains, they're in trouble fast.

I learned a lot when I was trying to convince DW to get a travel trailer. I have a half-ton GMC truck and quickly found that a 3/4 or 1 ton truck is by far a better choice if you're thinking about a travel trailer. It can be done of course but you're going to give up some floor space, water & sewage capacity and the like.
Old 05-02-2016, 03:29 PM   #39

Do any of these trucks fit in a non-tandem garage? It seems crazy to spend that much money and then leave the truck out in the elements.

But then again - we're probably the only people in our neighborhood that have BOTH cars in the garage.
Old 05-02-2016, 03:38 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Do any of these trucks fit in a non-tandem garage? It seems crazy to spend that much money and then leave the truck out in the elements.

But then again - we're probably the only people in our neighborhood that have BOTH cars in the garage.
I think it may be difficult to get these large vehicles into a typical residential garage.

I have a friend who has a diesel truck to pull a trailer. The truck is by far the higher $$$ value of all their rolling stock. So the $$$ truck sits on the street and the trailer and several other vehicles live in the driveway and the garage is a storage space for stuff along with an off road vehicle. The $$$ truck has been hit multiple times over the years sitting out on the street!