Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-02-2016, 02:43 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Do any of these trucks fit in a non-tandem garage? It seems crazy to spend that much money and then leave the truck out in the elements.

But then again - we're probably the only people in our neighborhood that have BOTH cars in the garage.
Mine will fit in the garage, but we paid extra for little bit higher door entrance and larger garage door. My old truck had a "bump" rise in the shell over the bed and it fit in with one inch to spare. The truck I have now has the short bed (6.5 feet) and extended cab, not the full crew cab. I measured before ordering the truck and with the crew cab I would only have had one inch fore and aft to spare. I'm good at parking, but not that good, so I knew eventually I'd be hitting the wall. And yeah you can put down a board on the pavement or dangle something from the ceiling at the right place but I just thought all that was more bother than it would be worth.

What I didn't know at the time the house was being built is that the larger houses have larger garages. A guy down the street has one of the smaller houses and his pickup will not fit in the garage.

Every house in this development has at least a one-car garage, most have a two-car. I too am amazed at how many fill the garage with junk and leave expensive vehicles out in the elements. We keep both vehicles in the garage and after only a few years the difference shows.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2016, 03:00 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Only if W2R agrees to dump the black tank...
I believe all you need to do is pull the dump lever as you drive down the highway...

That's the way I am going to set my rig up anyway.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 03:26 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My newest PU, a 2015 4WD Tundra which I bought last year, was sticker priced over 45k, however I paid well under 40k for it. I thought that was cheap compared to my new SUV (a 70k Jeep), which I also bought last year.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 05:00 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
How about you two go RVing in a Candy Apple Red truck with custom rims and video gaming when you stop for the evening? Please let me know how this works out as I think it's one of my better ideas.
Only if W2R agrees to dump the black tank...
Gee, I was off at the gym, a restaurant, and multiple errands. And look what you all were doing while I was gone! That sounds like an awful idea, all in all.

Now I think I'll quietly play my video game for a while and contemplate how happy I am in the here and now.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 05:10 PM   #45

If you have the means, why not have a nice truck? This is USA where we at least for now we have freedom and can drive what we want.

I do agree they are a lot of money. I also think they are quite nice with as many luxury features as many luxury sedans. These aren't the work trucks, they are the top-level models.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 06:14 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
I am looking.
Since my camp beater 98 GMC 1500 Z71 is on final legs, 210,046 miles as of this evening and mostly rusted out. Likely will not pass annual safety and/or emissions inspection in June when it is due.
Am looking for a replacement but not any new one. It will be a GMC 1500 Z71, no newer than 2011 at most.

They can keep those new ones or sell them to those with money to burn. I gotta laugh at the bedliner spray in or otherwise. Pickup beds rust from the bottom up, not from top down. The inside of my rustbucket pickup's bed has many scratches, all the rusting is form the bottom including the stiffeners which are mostly gone.

My spray-in bedliner is not for rust prevention.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 05-02-2016, 06:28 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Do any of these trucks fit in a non-tandem garage? It seems crazy to spend that much money and then leave the truck out in the elements.

But then again - we're probably the only people in our neighborhood that have BOTH cars in the garage.
My garage is 30' deep and I can barely fit my ATV in front of the truck. My truck is an F-150 4 door super crew with a 5.5' foot bed, measuring a little more than 19' long. So it would be a very tight squeeze in most garages, if at all. I also had to cut off about 4" of the radio antenna to get it to clear the top of the garage door opening.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 03:11 PM   #48

We have a F150 Platinum and a F250 Platinum and both fit in our garage. These larger trucks aren't for everyone and why anyone else cares is strange. I don't care what anyone else drives, what kind of home they have, what they do with their spare time, it's individual choice.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 04:41 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Every house in this development has at least a one-car garage, most have a two-car. I too am amazed at how many fill the garage with junk and leave expensive vehicles out in the elements. We keep both vehicles in the garage and after only a few years the difference shows.
We keep both vehicles in the garage, vs many of our neighbors, and yes it really helps preserve a vehicle.

My DW has an 18 yr old car and the body/interior is fine as she kept it inside a garage when parked.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote