Join Early Retirement Today

Any buyers here for one of these?
Old 05-01-2016, 12:23 PM   #1
gone traveling

The price of pickup trucks continues to go through the roof. This link shows several $50K+ trucks. Any takers?

Car and Driver
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2016, 12:57 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Not in a million years!!!

Those trucks look HUGE. I'd probably need a ladder to get in one.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 01:15 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Any takers?
Not any of these, but the new Chevy 2500HD Duramax I purchased in 2011 to pull our RV had a sticker price of $56K. Does that count?
Old 05-01-2016, 01:15 PM   #4
Gone but not forgotten

Not a taker, but a looker....
Best friend from my campground just bought a Ford... not sure if a Lariat or a King Ranch, but it is awesome. He and his wife are now retired, and planning to spend the next ten or fifteen years on the road... An awesome fifth wheel 40 ft, with toy box to carry their two new Harley trikes. The trailer rivals the most deluxe on the market.
The truck has every add-on available, including special paint, (same color as the fifth wheel) and upholstery that is leather, hand stitched, and looking like an elegant horse saddle.
He believes he bought at rock bottom price of $72,000.

His fifth wheel is similar to these... Bought a 2014 custom built model w/three tipouts similar to the ones shown here.

Weekend Warrior Toy Haulers|Travel Trailers|5th Wheels|Direct

Interesting plan for retirement, at a total price still less than the house they are selling. Takes a special type of person to make this commitment. So far, so good.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 01:17 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Trucks are for hauling gardening soil, mud, and stones .. I would rather buy an old beat up truck for $10,000 or less.

For $50 - $60K, I'd buy a 2nd hand M4 .

Cars for Sale: Used 2015 BMW M4 in Coupe, Marietta GA: 30060 Details - Coupe - Autotrader
Old 05-01-2016, 01:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
He believes he bought at rock bottom price of $72,000.
Gee, for that I'd rather have an airplane...

Single Engine Piston Aircraft - Airplanes For Sale, New & Used Single Engine Piston Aircraft at Trade-A-Plane
Old 05-01-2016, 05:33 PM   #7

I am planning on getting a 2017 Ford F350. Diesel. The aluminum bodies will be out in 2017. Probably a lariat trim, crew cab. I drive a 2003 F350 diesel now.

This may well be my last truck, so it will have a few extra options.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 06:05 PM   #8

The car dealers must get pretty excited over selling these vehicles with such high price tags. As with everything if you want it and have the money why not go for it. We have people who are buying corvettes or Teslas and enjoying the ownership and driving experience.

Wonder if anyone has yet figured out a way to take your money with you at the end of this life!
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 07:01 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am looking.
Since my camp beater 98 GMC 1500 Z71 is on final legs, 210,046 miles as of this evening and mostly rusted out. Likely will not pass annual safety and/or emissions inspection in June when it is due.
Am looking for a replacement but not any new one. It will be a GMC 1500 Z71, no newer than 2011 at most.

They can keep those new ones or sell them to those with money to burn. I gotta laugh at the bedliner spray in or otherwise. Pickup beds rust from the bottom up, not from top down. The inside of my rustbucket pickup's bed has many scratches, all the rusting is form the bottom including the stiffeners which are mostly gone.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:43 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I cannot imagine it as to me a vehicle is for comfortable use, not showing off.
Last yr, I spent the most I ever have for a vehicle 30K for a Sienna van.
Can't see why a truck would cost more, other than greedy sales opportunity.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 10:50 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
I am planning on getting a 2017 Ford F350. Diesel. The aluminum bodies will be out in 2017. Probably a lariat trim, crew cab. I drive a 2003 F350 diesel now.

This may well be my last truck, so it will have a few extra options.
What do you pull that needs a 350 diesel ?

I'm thinking of the future, as at first I thought a 150 could pull a trailer, but talked to some folks who felt that was a bit light, and I should get a 250.
None of this is immediate, possibly not for a few years, but could be sooner if I get itchy.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 10:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Not any of these, but the new Chevy 2500HD Duramax I purchased in 2011 to pull our RV had a sticker price of $56K. Does that count?
Sounds like you got the Candy Apple Red package with custom rims.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:04 PM   #13

Old 05-02-2016, 12:15 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

I'm torn between the F150 King Ranch and Platinum. I was looking at them recently. But after I saw the sticker prices, I decided that my 2009 F150 is good enough.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 05:18 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

The high end trucks are outrageously priced. They wouldn't fit in my garage and I wouldn't want to drive something that big anyway.

I'll settle for a mid-sized truck and it meets my needs.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 05:49 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a 2013 King Ranch. It was my "gold watch" that I brought for myself 3 years ago during the "OMY delay". It was a self-reward for what finally became 40 years work. It should last me at least 15 years or more.
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 06:35 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
Sounds like you got the Candy Apple Red package with custom rims.
Heavens no! No dark colors for me in the Texas sun.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:40 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I cannot imagine it as to me a vehicle is for comfortable use, not showing off.
You have fallen for the stereotype that a "big truck" equals "showing off". That's simply not true.

Those of us who tow large RV's require a large truck to handle the weight, and those trucks don't come cheap - opting for a diesel engine adds $7-8K to an already steep price.

You have to pay to play...
Old 05-02-2016, 06:49 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
What do you pull that needs a 350 diesel ?

I'm thinking of the future, as at first I thought a 150 could pull a trailer, but talked to some folks who felt that was a bit light, and I should get a 250.
None of this is immediate, possibly not for a few years, but could be sooner if I get itchy.
I am planning on getting a fifth wheel. The cost difference between an F150 and F350 is minimal, with the same equipment. Less than ~$3,000. Add in the diesel, and it becomes more.

If you are getting an F250, get an F350. Only the springs are different from what I have heard.

Here in MN, license tabs are only ~$120 for a F350, and they are ~$500+ for an F250. Commercial plates are cheaper, but they stay constant vs. a declining cost based on value for the F250.

This will be another work truck, so it will be purchased by my business and a write off. It may even help my Roth conversions to be a smaller taxable event.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 06:57 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
If you are getting an F250, get an F350. Only the springs are different from what I have heard.
I think the brakes are also larger in a 350, but you are correct that the primary difference is in the springs (and thus a larger towing capacity).

I agree that stepping up to a 350 is a wise move. Only $1K in added cost (the last time I looked) but a nice bump in towing/weight capacity - a requirement way too many RV folks underestimate when buying a big trailer.