Join Early Retirement Today

Any buyers of foreign currency?
Old 07-05-2007, 10:57 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Any buyers of foreign currency?

I'm trying to find out the best way to take X amount of US Dollars and purchase the equilivent in Argentina Pesos, Thai Bhat, and Brazil Real.
Everbank does not offer such CD's.

Has anyone had any experience in exchanging curreny and holding the foreign currency in an interest bearing account for speculation.
Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2007, 11:07 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I made a rather large chunk of change, buying euros when they first came out (Im sure alot will think this is wierd, but go go Bible future knowledge!), normally a local bank can do it, and you can just hold on to the currency in a normal account or CD, then change it back to dollars when it does really well.
Bigritchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 11:21 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigritchie View Post
I made a rather large chunk of change, buying euros when they first came out (Im sure alot will think this is wierd, but go go Bible future knowledge!), normally a local bank can do it, and you can just hold on to the currency in a normal account or CD, then change it back to dollars when it does really well.

Bigritchie, any ideas of which banks do this?
Old 07-05-2007, 11:54 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

1st Tennesse did mine, I would think they still do it.

I am sure nations bank would too since they are all over the world, or you could just open a account with a British or Swiss bank, do a currency exchange, and then just put the new cash in a CD. I would think the big brokerages could do it too. I just bought a 100k of Euros back in the day when it was worth alot less then the dollar, put them in a CD, and then watched it kick the dollars rear over the past few years and recently sold em in prep for retirement.
Bigritchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 06:46 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida View Post
I'm trying to find out the best way to take X amount of US Dollars and purchase the equilivent in Argentina Pesos, Thai Bhat, and Brazil Real.
Everbank does not offer such CD's.

Has anyone had any experience in exchanging curreny and holding the foreign currency in an interest bearing account for speculation.
Nope. I get plenty of currency exposure via unhedged foreign funds.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:18 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

How about a little triangular currency arbitrage??

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 02:21 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
Nope. I get plenty of currency exposure via unhedged foreign funds.
Any foreign fund recomendations?