Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Any Californians comment on Well's Fargo
Old 06-08-2006, 09:56 AM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

ED:
Quote:
Thanks for the information. I have wondered how seasoned travellers manage their important 'stuff'.
You're welcome. I suppose we 'seasoned travelers' may seem a bit more cavalier than those who are more steadfast at home... but the general ideas have been the same for all of us. We do guard our info pretty strongly though, when we are in a foreign country.

Sure, we could get bonked on the head and things get stolen, or someone working in a hotel could pilfer the safes... back ups and copies help to justify our story, should we need to explain.

OAP
Quote:
Years of data, names, numbers, pictures, accounts, copies of passport, SS card, birth certificate. .. It was stolen. He had not backed any of it up. Moral, either an external HD or lots of CDs to be stored somewhere.
I completely understand. We, unfortunately, are pretty 'data dependent.' These days there are high gigabyte hard drives available to back up one's information and that needs to be done regularly...

We once lost 'everything' due to a lightening strike, and ... uh... it wasn't pretty.* ** *:P* Let's just say, it only had to happen once!*

Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2006, 10:13 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have a nice little USB 40GB hard drive that I back up pertinent data to. I used it yesterday to reload my MS Money backup after a file in MS Money got corrupted somehow.

It's worth the $100 I paid, just to restore that data yesterday.
KB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 10:17 AM   #43

Akaisha,
I've been slack for a few months and this has reminded me to do a backup. *My laptop is acting up, so today I do the backup. I'm still putting the data on CDs but a good external HD would be great.

MasterBlaster mentioned an old bank here in SF and I went in to look around. *The interior is maybe one of the most spectacular I've seen. *Very nice.
OldAgePensioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 08:18 PM   #44

I do a weekly backup religiously. Because each BU is less than 50 meg, so I keep 4 months saved.
Old 06-10-2006, 04:02 PM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yes, we back up often* as well. There are those files we back up each time we use them, and others that we back up weekly.

Like I mentioned... it only has to happen once* * the impression left indelible* marks!*

Take care,
Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement