Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Any Dish Users Out There?
Old 08-04-2006, 06:13 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
If you're not in the same time zone as the coasts then the DVR is almost mandatory to avoid having to timeshift your viewing habits.

FIL has plenty of room on his Dish DVR, but he downloads to a VCR when he wants a hardcopy.
Yup, one of the downers about island living was watching NFL games after they were already over and you knew the final score
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2006, 06:15 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick
Yup, one of the downers about island living was watching NFL games after they were already over and you knew the final score
Just another sure-fire betting investment opportunity!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 06:00 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

We got a recordable DVD player with an 80 gig hardrive so we record to that and then hard copy it to a DVD if we want. We also have a VCR but the main point is I want to watch one station and record another and neither of the systems will let me. Also if we change from dish to direct or cable our recordable DVD player will work...

We have friends that have Tivo which is a DVR as well they love the system, you can get one with a 2 tuner but you still can't watch one station and tape another. Only if your on cable can you use it that way. I really miss the old days with a VCR that did it all.

Kathyet
kathyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 06:09 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyet
the main point is I want to watch one station and record another and neither of the systems will let me.
That is the main point with me also, and I think it is probably one of the main reasons Al Gore invented all this tech in the first place

But------I'm going to have it set up so we can watch 4 different TV's at once (yah it's overkill), so I should be able to watch in one room and tape a different channel off a different set in another room--true?
Old 08-05-2006, 07:22 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
the main point is I want to watch one station and record another

Doesn't the Dishnetwork ViP622 DVR do what you want?* *If not, why not?* I am thinking of getting one, so your thoughts are much appreciated.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:10 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

While I can't speak for Dish, I do know alot about DirecTV.* The satellite DVR's are a vast improvement over the regular DVRs or tuners and VCR combinations.* The signal is received at your tuner is a compressed format where it is uncompressed for viewing.* If you have a satellite DVR, the program is stored in this original compressed format . . . ie: on playback it is uncompressed.* Thus the playback from a satellite DVR is the exact same image as if you were watching it live.* This is a vast improvement over VCR's and standard DVRs in both quailty and storage capacity.* Directv TiVos have 2 tuners which allow you to record two programs and watch a third recorded program at the same time.* While this seems like more than anyone would need, I have two TiVo's and every once in a while I hit a conflict where I have more than 4 programs scheduled to record at the same time.* *
Old 08-05-2006, 09:31 AM   #27
Dryer sheet aficionado

We have DishNetwork on our boat. We bought it at a local store and they did the setup at the store because we don't have a phone line on the boat (see 'Do you have a cell phone' thread) and I installed it myself. We have the DVR running two TV's on the boat. We are very happy with it, no problems in over 6 months. The boat will rock some but it doesn't lose the signal until the wind get above 30 knts and the boat really starts a rockin'.

Had Comcast at the house, I prefer the Dish menus and I love the DVR feature. Once you use DVR you will never watch TV the same again.
AFloat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 09:36 AM   #28

dish sucked. i dropped them on the 366th day....which was as early as i could do it

now, if u dont have cable, u have no options other than directv, which i have not used before

thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 07:10 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Directv TiVos have 2 tuners which allow you to record two programs and watch a third recorded program at the same time.* While this seems like more than anyone would need, I have two TiVo's and every once in a while I hit a conflict where I have more than 4 programs scheduled to record at the same time.
Quote:

We called Tivo because we thought that was our answer they said that it wouldn't do that unless we had cable it wasn't set up for any of the dish services....at least not to watch one show and tape another...

Quote:
Doesn't the Dishnetwork ViP622 DVR do what you want?* *If not, why not?* I am thinking of getting one, so your thoughts are much appreciated.
Quote:

We looked on the dishnetwork.com site and read about the DVR and it said nothing about watching one show and taping another.* Dish also had a big lawsuit with Tivo a while back. Tivo claimed that the Dish DVR was a copy of Tivo.* Tivo lost but I am sure it is all on going.

If any one has an answer for that problem I sure would appreciate it* until then were using our recordable DVD in another room.

Kathyet
kathyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 02:34 PM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
The DirecTv Tivo's will allow you to watch one program and record (to the Tivo) another concurrently.* They will also allow you to record 2 programs (to the Tivo) concurrently while you are watching a prerecorded program on the Tivo.* Unfortunately you cannot record to other equipment (VCR / DVD) any signal except a live signal (what you are watching).* This makes dumping programs off the Tivo inconvenient.* *
Old 08-07-2006, 01:47 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFloat
The boat will rock some but it doesn't lose the signal until the wind get above 30 knts and the boat really starts a rockin'.*
Well I would guess there is at least one other reason you might lose your signal due to the boat rockin---but, in that situation you probably wouldn't care anyway.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:58 PM   #32

My dish has arrived and it is sitting on a 5 foot pole (a steel pole so save the jokes) .
My concern about trees was all for naught as the required elevation of the dish was well above the tops.* Eventually I'll put it on the roof, but my installer would not mess with it because it is cedar shakes. (I know )
Love the DVR and we hooked up the VCR as well.* Nice signal strength @ 103.* The only downer is that there is very little HD here in the sticks, so little that I skipped that option.
To celebrate the occasion I completed my first daytrade since moving.
300SHs ENG netting $61.00* Which happens to be $11.00 above my daily goal The nice thing about ER is you can lower your standards and goals. 8)
Thanks for the help in getting into Dishworld!