Join Early Retirement Today

any DoD cleared professionals here?
Old 04-11-2019, 08:36 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

any DoD cleared professionals here?

I was a software engineer for a major DoD contractor back in 2000’s and got Secret clearance around 2008/2009. I was laid off in 2011 and left the DoD industry. I’d like to get back into the DoD industry again but can’t due to lack of a clearance.

Just wondering what would have happened to my prior clearance? Can it be easily re-activated or is a brand new investigation required? Thanks.
ER_Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2019, 08:49 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You would need a new clearance investigation since it's been more than 2 years since you last used yours and it might be more than 10 years since the previous investigation. However, it should be more like a renewal than like an initial investigation because they don't have to reconfirm things like citizenship, schooling, etc, since they already did that once. You still have to provide all that info, and it better match what you gave them the first time.

If you're looking for work that requires a clearance, you should at least put on your resume that you have previously held a Secret Clearance and would be able to obtain one again. That should give you a leg-up against other candidates who've never held a clearance, but it won't help you against someone who has a recent clearance that can be reactivated without going through an investigation.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:01 AM   #3

What C63 said. Also, with the tight job market, your prior clearance might be a solid leg up even if renewal is required. Good luck!
Old 04-11-2019, 09:10 AM   #4

I'm retired military and worked as a DoD contractor after military retirement. One way I've seen it done is that a company that has both DoD and non-DoD work will hire someone and initially put them on non-DoD unclassified tasks. But they will also seek an existing DoD client to sponsor you for a clearance in anticipation of your being put on that contract after you're cleared. That way you're generating revenue while the clearance process is in progress. It takes the right combination of your skills and the company's needs, but it can work.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:37 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
^^^^ That's what makes clearance so valuable.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:39 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the info.

I've been searching on clearancejobs.com, it seems most jobs with the potential to get a clearance are on the East coast, especially in VA. Pretty much everything I've seen in CA requires an active clearance. I'm really contemplating making a short term move to the East coast.

In your opinion, does the East coast offer a better chance for me to get my clearance? I've couple recruiters from the East coast reaching out to me where as in CA, I submitted several job applications to couple major DoD contractors and I didnt even get a phone call.
ER_Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 10:44 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The backlog is extreme.
https://federalnewsnetwork.com/other...-the-pressure/
DoD is preparing an org to take over the security process. Might take some time?
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 01:33 PM   #8
Dryer sheet wannabe

I have a similar situation. Had clearance 7+ years ago, left for another job, then recently took a new job that needed clearance. I was granted an interim clearance in less than 2 months. I am in the midwest - ask if you can work remotely.