Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-12-2010, 05:36 PM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Not a dating story, but I just remembered something that happened long ago...my then-S.O. and I drove to Florida to stay with my parents, who were also, as it happened, hosting a childhood friend of mine who happens to be gay, but my parents didn't know that.

Now, my parents would not hear of my S.O. and me sharing a bed under their roof, so they made the 2 "boys" bunk together on the sleeper sofa in the Florida room so I could sleep chastely in the guest room.

My S.O., my friend and I agreed it would not be cool to "out" my friend to my parents, so we all went along with it....of course nothing untoward happened (not that I expected it would - my friend isn't interested in straight guys) but S.O. said it was kind of a weird concept...

A.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2010, 05:59 PM   #122
Recycles dryer sheets

Long ago I once took this beautiful girl to the movie "what do you say to a naked Lady?" I had known her a lot from classes before that.

Every time there was nudity in the movie(and there was a lot), at the beginning of each scene, she coughed. Afterwards when we went out to eat I reach over and touched her hand and immediately she coughed.

I knew right then, we had no future.

Z
HsiaoChu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 06:07 PM   #123
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I ordered duck breast. While attempting to slice it my hand slipped and the duck made a short flight and landed in front of my date in his plate.
Every time I read this, I just go into fits of laughter.

...and yeah, I've made a few faux pas during dinner too.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:11 PM   #124
Recycles dryer sheets

There was this girl that I had a crush on from Freshman year, but after trying to date her, and having her turn me down, I just let it go. One day at a frat party, I had drank just a bit too much grain alcohol in lemonade, and I visited the room of a fellow frat bro, who happened to be a weightlifter. This girl was now his fiancee. I said something that I considered very complementary of her to him, but since I was drunk and what might have been seen as complimentary to me apparently was seen as insulting to him.

He grabbed ahold of my shirt and pressed me up against the wall straight up above his head like he was pressing a barbell. I remember that he was demanding that I apologize immediately for what I said, which I couldn't understand why I needed to apologize. But the real thing I was thinking about at moment was my extreme nausea, and wondering what he would do to me when I went beyond complementing his girlfriend and an expected apology but instead showering him with newly swallowed lemonade.

I saw him again about 30 years later. He was paunchy and rather horizontally challenged. I was at an educational meeting and his name is unusual, so I went up to him. I've stayed in shape over the years. he's married the girl, now woman for probably 30+ years. When I cam up to him he commented about how I was walking purposely toward him and whether he should have been afraid. How times change!
HsiaoChu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 06:26 PM   #125
Give me a forum ...

I was about 16, and had been camping from New York to California with my mom and sister. We arrived at a friend's house in California, and he'd set me up on a blind date.

I went into a spare bedroom to change, and after taking off all my camping clothes and changing into something for the date, I looked out the window, and across the street there was a table with about 10 people around it, all waving at me (and Percy).
Old 03-12-2010, 06:33 PM   #126
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I was about 16, and had been camping from New York to California with my mom and sister. We arrived at a friend's house in California, and he'd set me up on a blind date.

I went into a spare bedroom to change, and after taking off all my camping clothes and changing into something for the date, I looked out the window, and across the street there was a table with about 10 people around it, all waving at me (and Percy).
And did...um...Percy wave back?
Old 03-12-2010, 06:36 PM   #127
Give me a forum ...

During college, I was visiting a friend in Boston, and we went out to a bar to meet girls. What ensued was a once-in-a-lifetime experience (for me, anyway). We met some ladies who suggested we follow them to another bar. There we met some more girls and guys, and this continued all night. At 5:30 AM we had accumulated about 20 total strangers, all of whom had breakfast together at some all night diner at a huge table.

This turns into a date story because I liked one of the girls but had not gotten her last name. Fortunately her first name was unusual ("Aileen"), and I knew that she attended a small college. I went there the next day and convinced the registrar's office to hook us up, and we had a date that night.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:22 PM   #128
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Fortunately her first name was unusual ("Aileen"), and I knew that she attended a small college. I went there the next day and convinced the registrar's office to hook us up, and we had a date that night.
These days, the registrar would not be able to oblige. That would be a breach of privacy laws.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 07:25 PM   #129
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

So Al, from your story it appears your "once-in-a-lifetime experience (for me, anyway)" was finding a girl who would actually go on a date with you?
Old 03-12-2010, 08:16 PM   #130
Gone but not forgotten

I met my SO on the Internet ( I had been widowed for two years ) . He seemed slightly strange when I talked to him so I told my girlfriend were I was going and if she did not hear back from me that he was probably an axe murderer. Well he wasn't but for Christmas that year he gave me a beautiful silver bracelet with an axe charm .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 08:27 PM   #131
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Now, my parents would not hear of my S.O. and me sharing a bed under their roof, so they made the 2 "boys" bunk together on the sleeper sofa in the Florida room so I could sleep chastely in the guest room.

My S.O., my friend and I agreed it would not be cool to "out" my friend to my parents, so we all went along with it....of course nothing untoward happened (not that I expected it would - my friend isn't interested in straight guys) but S.O. said it was kind of a weird concept...

A.
Now your S.O. gets a big "what I'll do for my SO and her parents" award for that one!

Audrey
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 08:31 PM   #132
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post

I try to be civilized.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:51 PM   #133
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post

I have to share this!

I was told by colleagues almost dying with laughter about a fine european dinner meeting in which the CEO sent his duck flying. It landed on the floor. Within a blink of the eye he had scooped it back up on his plate as if nothing happened and proceeded to dine. Everyone else went on and pretended that nothing whatsoever unusual had happened.

Audrey
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:14 PM   #134
Give me a forum ...

All I can say is some of you have had very interesting dating lives... Allen seems to be the 'winner'....

The only strange one that I can think of is back in college... There was this girl in a few of my classes that seemed to sit next to me in most of them... she was not interested in me, and I was not in her... she was a big partier and would come to class with some 'issues'.... but I would explain what was happening later in the day...

Well, close to the end of the year... she introduced me to one of her roommates... now, this was a lady that I liked... we went out a few times and talked on the phone etc... but it was getting close to summer... I was going to be attending summer classes, but she was not... so the last day of class I asked where she would be staying and said I would like to come visit... she said OK... then proceeded to give me her number... but a different last name...

I looked at her a bit funny and said "what is this was a different last name? Are you getting married?".... She said "No, I am married, that is my maiden name".... OOOOOKKKKKK.....

Well, eventually she did get a divorce... but it was to late to get things started again... I did see her about a year later... and she told me she was going to marry her ex... I said that was the stupidist thing she could do... I did hear from my classmate that she did not, but went back to a boyfriend she had before getting married who treated her bad... I have not heard anything since....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:46 PM   #135
Give me a forum ...

Speaking of food blunders.....

There were times at Megacorp we would order lunch to be delivered. One particular day we ordered deli sandwiches with all the trimmings. After we finished eating, it was time to get back to work. That day I was wearing a floral print dress with multi colors. After I had worked for about an hour, I walked down the hall to another employee's desk. As we were talking I noticed she kept looking at my chest.

After a few minutes she burst out laughing. I had a slice of pickle resting proudly atop one of my breasts. From that day forward everyone called me 'Pickles'.
Old 03-13-2010, 04:46 AM   #136
Give me a forum ...

Already "introduced" DW2B (she is now DW). This was my story about 8th grade dance (six inch difference in height at the time - the wrong way!). FF to senior year in HS after I'd grown 10 inches. DW2B and I began to date steadily for a while. Call her Suzie Kowalski (not even close!)

During this time, I socialized quite a bit with a guy I'd also known since day one at school (K or 1st grade, I forget). Call him John. Since John had a car and I didn't, he would often invite me to dash out to McD's or BurgerChef for lunch instead of eating the swill in the school cafe. So, while we weren't close friends, we were quite friendly and I believed I knew him pretty well - and assumed he knew me pretty well. This was before I got a car and started to dash out for lunch with "Suzie".

My best friend all through HS (call him Ray) also knew John, at least as a classmate. One day, Ray, John and some other guys were talking about their various girl friends. No "conquest" bragging, just the fact that they had a girl friend was bragging rights enough, I guess. So Ray asked John "Who's your girlfriend?" John answered "Oh, you wouldn't know her." Ray pressed the issue. "I might know her. Come on, John, what's her name?" "Oh.... Kowalski" John answered. "You mean Suzie!!??" Ray asked, incredulously (knowing "Suzie" was my current squeeze.) "Yeah" John replied.

Ray relayed this story to me soon after and when I asked "Suzie" about it, she relayed how months earlier, John had asked her out for a coke. This was before she and I had become an "item" (in a HS sort of way). She went for a coke with John and decided in about 2 minutes that it was a mistake and basically never talked to John again - at least about going out.

Ray, Suzie and I all got quite a kick out of the incident. I actually felt sort of sorry for John. It's one of the awkward moments that seem to happen to all of us at one time or another as we start to make our way into the adult world. I never mentioned the incident to John and he has remained a friend of mine as well as "Suzie" over the years.

Okay, speaking of awkward moments, here's sort of the reverse of the above story. Before "Suzie" and I became an item, a girl I knew from a church group asked ME to her Jr. prom at another school. This was months before the prom and many weeks before "Suzie" and I became an item. I accepted, as she was a friend, a really nice girl, attractive and I didn't have any prospects for my own Sr. prom - I thought. The Jr. and I had no plans to "date" other than this one event.

As "Suzie" and i got closer, and eventually decided to go to our Sr. prom together (thank goodness, at least the other school's Jr. prom didn't coincide with our Sr. prom) I was trying to figure out how to either 1) get out of the commitment for the Jr. prom, 2) Hide the fact from "Suzie" that I was going to take another girl out or 3) Tell "Suzie" that I was taking another girl to a prom even though we were "going steady" or at least "steadily". This dragged on for many weeks and in the mean time, the two girls got to know each other through the same church group!! Somehow, the story never came out. I think the Jr. saw the dilemma and decided not to "out" me. As the big day approached for the Jr. prom, "Suzie" wanted to do something on the same night. I wussed out and uncharacteristically told her I had to do something else that night. Well, it took her 3 seconds to figure there was more to the story. (Guess she was prescient after all.) That's when I had to break down and tell her "the rest of the story". She handled it pretty well - I think mostly because she now knew the other girl fairly well and it was quite obvious to all that "Suzie" was my girl friend. So I did the Jr. prom and had fun, but it was still a bit of a strain for all three of us. "Suzie" and I subsequently went to our Sr. prom and had a great time - no strain at all. Over the years, we've all stayed friends though the miles have separated us from the Jr. girl.

A common thread I see in many of our various stories: No one could make this stuff up! It's just too wacky to be anything but true. Fiction might make better stories and be less embarrassing to all concerned. But what would be the fun in that?

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 03:24 PM   #137
Administrator

Keep the stories coming, I'm really enjoying them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Alan, your stories are hysterical, and they just keep building one after the other til I'm laughing out loud. And Irene had heard about yet another embarrassing story before you and she started to date? Do tell.
As I mentioned before, Irene and I met the first day we started work but didn't date until 9 months later. We each had our own place, a "bed-sit", which was nothing more than a small room with a sink for washing, a bed and a small table for eating at. There was a shared kitchen and bathroom and there were typically 3 - 6 bed-sit rooms in a house. It was very basic accommodation and at weekends it was particularly lonely as most of my new found student friends would go home. Irene soon started dating one of the other students, and he and I actually ended up with bed-sits in the same house and became good friends.

The link to the song below is pretty accurate as to my experience of bed-sit land.

So, one weekend I went out by myself to a night club where I met up with a couple of canny lads from my home county. (Isn't it odd how pleased you can be when, in a strange place, you meet someone from your home town or area). They introduced me to a drink called snakebite that consisted of beer and cider (20 oz pints). I had at least 6 of these devils, got very drunk and have only vague memories of staggering home in the early hours. Next morning I had a hell of a hangover and was trying to recall the events of the previous night when it suddenly all came back to me that I met a really pretty lass and we danced a lot including a slow number at the end I asked if we could see each other again, and she said sure, why don't we meet tomorrow at lunchtime, and she gave me the name of a pub. I remembered taking out a pen and paper and writing down her name and details.

I then went and searched in the pocket of my jacket and found, to my horror, that what I had used to write down her name, the name of the pub and the meeting time was not a piece of paper but a condom packet (it was well past its sell-by date )

The meeting time was 12:30, the pub was across town and it was already 1:30 so that was that

The following week I told my friend the story, and it was probably a month later when I was talking to Irene and I needed to make a note of something so said I would get a piece of paper. She then said, "From what I hear, that's not the normal thing you make notes on", winked at me and walked away.

Old 03-13-2010, 03:53 PM   #138
Give me a forum ...

Oh, those crazy Brits.....Alan, does your mascara look this good when you wake up?

Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 04:15 PM   #139

How many funny stories can one person have (Alan!) LOL, enjoying this thread.

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 04:23 PM   #140
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

And I pictured Alan for the quiet, scientific type! Yes, he is the clear front runner here for this thread. No one wants me to brush off the cobwebs and try to reconstruct any ossified tales of my teen-aged dating life for sure after his revelations. I would cure the sleep deprived in short order.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote