Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-09-2010, 11:42 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yeah - want to know about that tea with her parents!!!!!

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2010, 03:41 AM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Well, I'm sure this story won't top any of Allen's, but here goes. In 8th grade, I had my very first date. It was a spring dance and I forget the reason but the girls could or were supposed to - I forget - ask the boy to the dance. So this nice girl I'd known since 2nd grade asked me and I agreed to go. Her mom drove us and later picked us up. Other than the fact I didn't know how to dance, the evening went reasonably well. I wore a white sport coat (no pink carnation - sorry 'bout that, Marty) and she wore a nice party dress - appropriate for a 14 year old young lady. We decided to have our picture taken together as that was a typical thing to do circa 1960.

I forgot to tell you that in 8th grade, I was exactly 5 feet tall. Fortunately, I grew another 10 inches taller by the end of 9th grade. (Imagine my parents' food bills in those days.) Said young lady was 5' 6" in flats. You can imagine how ridiculous that picture turned out. Here was this "little boy" with a nearly adult woman in a dance picture. DW still loves to drag that picture out and show it around to the amusement of friends. It figures she would do so as she has kept it since that night 50 years ago.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:19 AM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
,,,,,,,,,, DW still loves to drag that picture out and show it around to the amusement of friends. It figures she would do so as she has kept it since that night 50 years ago.
What? You married your first date?
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:46 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Nice segue into my next dating story
...That date went great and all went smoothly until she invited me to go to her house and have tea with her parents More on that later, I still get goosebumps just remembering that fateful night
And...And...AND.....??
Old 03-10-2010, 05:53 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
What? You married your first date?
Well, making a very long story short (not my usual style, of course) yes.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:57 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
In college, I was asked out by an extremely handsome younger man (he was 19, I was 20) who (I later realized) felt he had to put on an act to impress me (little knowing that he'd already accomplished that just by existing!!!)
So did you keep going out for a while (subtext - did his investment pay off)?
Old 03-10-2010, 06:27 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Great story.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:19 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I forgot to tell you that in 8th grade, I was exactly 5 feet tall. Fortunately, I grew another 10 inches taller by the end of 9th grade. (Imagine my parents' food bills in those days.) Said young lady was 5' 6" in flats. You can imagine how ridiculous that picture turned out. Here was this "little boy" with a nearly adult woman in a dance picture. DW still loves to drag that picture out and show it around to the amusement of friends. It figures she would do so as she has kept it since that night 50 years ago.
OMG!!!! That's amazing! I guess she was a very prescient 14-year-old young lady!

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:32 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
HEck, why not...after all, she asked YOU! And, you nver had the play the "rejection game"..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:10 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Ok, I'll share a longish one of mine. I was in college, and for happy hour one day, we went to a local bar. When we walked in, I saw the most incredible creature that I had ever seen working as a waitress. My buddies all laughed at me. It was rude as heck, but I couldn't take my eyes off her, absolutely stunning young woman. A friend later remarked that it was the only time in my life he had ever seen me more interested in a woman than getting my drink on.........

The next week, we went to the same bar, and she was working again. I asked for her section and she ended up helping us. I got to meet her (Alyssa) and of course all my friends immediately started hitting on her. However, she made it clear that she had a serious boyfriend who was a football star at the University of Minnesota, etc. After deflecting all of them away, they left me alone at the table. I kept ordering all sorts of stuff I wasn't hungry for, and left her a $20 tip on probably a $25 bill......... I left her a little note that said: "You are beautiful and funny and smart. Your boyfriend is a lucky man. If for any reason things don't work out, I would love to take you out...signed Financedude"..........

It became a joke of sorts in the bar. The other waitresses all gave me grief, as did the bartenders. However, I am not one to give up easily. Every week, for EIGHT MONTHS, I went to that same bar, sat in Allyssa's section, and ended up getting to know her. I wrote notes to her asking her out EVERY WEEK during that time. It became a running joke. She said no every time, but thought I was unique in my approach.

My buddies gave me grief incessantly about it, but I couldn't help out, she took my breath away. However, I was beginning to think I needed to move on, because I was getting nowhere. A bold approach was needed, so I made my plans.

Alyssa's shift ended at 8:00pm. I showed up at 7:45 and asked for her. She said what's up, and I told her I wanted to go out that night. She of course said no, but then I told her to go to the front of the bar. She looked out, and there was a white limo waiting. She looked stunned, but I said:

"Look, I just want one date. If things don't go well, in your opinion, I'll have the limo take you home. I just wanted you to know that I like you very much and would like to have a fun date". She reluctantly agreed and we set off. Of course, I had flowers and champagne waiting in the limo. We ended up driving up to a really nice restaurant about 30 miles away. I was having a great time and she was too.

The night wound down, and it was time for me to drop her off. I told her I had a great time and she said she did to. I told her I understood that she had a serious boyfriend and I would not continue to ask her out if it made her uncomfortable, but that my offer still stands that I would like to go out with her if their relationship ended.

She suddenly looked quite sad, and I thought I said something wrong. Then she started crying......... I at this point was freaking out, what the heck had I done wrong? Finally, she dropped a HUGE BOMB on me:

At 16, she had been raped by her step uncle. He was never charged and she never told anyone. Ever since then, she did not trust men at all, and never had a boyfriend in HS. In college, she fabricated a boyfriend so her friends would leave her alone and she would not have to tell them all the horrible details.................

I didn't know what to do. I thought the worst thing possible to do would be to hug her or anything, although that was my first instinct. Instead, I grabbed her hand and held it and just told her I would be there for her, no matter what. The limo dropped us off and we talked in the dark until the sun came up. When we left I told her to call me anytime, day or night, if she wanted to talk or needed someone.

We ended up dating for almost a year. It was difficult because she was psychologically damaged and any physical act was difficult for her. Part of me wanted to confront her uncle and punch him in the face and the groin, I was so pissed. She transferred to another college, but we kept in touch for awhile. She ended up dating another guy and it got serious. I'd like to think I helped her trust men again. That was confirmed when I received a 10 page letter out of the blue from her a couple years later, thanking me for helping her, etc. It was a heartfelt letter and I knew she meant every word.......

Sorry for the length..........

Old 03-10-2010, 09:07 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Wonderful story, FD, wow.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:11 AM   #72
Give me a forum ...

When I was six years old, in first grade, my girlfriend Betty Blaney (also six) came over to my house after school. She promptly suggested that we take off all of our clothes and get in bed, which we did. I was intensely embarrassed when my mom walked into the room. She said "That's no way for kids to play."
Old 03-10-2010, 11:13 AM   #73
Administrator

Quote:
DW still loves to drag that picture out and show it around to the amusement of friends. It figures she would do so as she has kept it since that night 50 years ago.
Great story, and you married your first date, that is just fantastic
Old 03-10-2010, 11:19 AM   #74
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Wonderful story, FD, wow.
Ditto.

As I was reading it I was always aware that this thread was "Any Funny Dating Stories" so I was stunned at the ending, but well worth the telling under any heading - thanks.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:24 AM   #75
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
When I was six years old, in first grade, my girlfriend Betty Blaney (also six) came over to my house after school. She promptly suggested that we take off all of our clothes and get in bed, which we did. I was intensely embarrassed when my mom walked into the room. She said "That's no way for kids to play."
That happened to me as well at age 5, with the little girl who lived in the rooms upstairs

It also reminds me of a cartoon I once saw where there is a little naked boy and girl, both standing, and with the boy standing on the head of a little girl. "Okay", he says, "we've taken off all our clothes and I've climbed on top of you. Now what happens?". "I don't know" says the little girl, "but I'm getting a headache"
Old 03-10-2010, 11:46 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Ditto.

As I was reading it I was always aware that this thread was "Any Funny Dating Stories" so I was stunned at the ending, but well worth the telling under any heading - thanks.
Well, I didn't want to start a new thread, and it was kinda funny asking her out for 8 months, but I felt I needed to share the ending, which was as stunning to me as it was for you to read it.

I promise, my next story will be more light-hearted.........

Old 03-10-2010, 11:47 AM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It also reminds me of a cartoon I once saw where there is a little naked boy and girl, both standing, and with the boy standing on the head of a little girl. "Okay", he says, "we've taken off all our clothes and I've climbed on top of you. Now what happens?". "I don't know" says the little girl, "but I'm getting a headache"

Old 03-10-2010, 12:12 PM   #78
Administrator

Quote:
.... that date went great and all went smoothly until she invited me to go to her house and have tea with her parents More on that later, I still get goosebumps just remembering that fateful night
Following on from my last dating story at High School.

Up until this point I had never had a regular girlfriend. Lots of dates, sometimes several dates with the same girl but this time I felt that this was going to last a lot longer. After we'd dated a few times she invited me to have tea with her parents on a Saturday night. Where I lived, having tea was something quite substantial, and I'd never even eaten in a restaurant let alone in a posh house so I was very nervous. I was from a very rough neighborhood and my accent was extremely difficult to understand, even 6 miles away among fancy houses, and with folks of quite a different class. (her father was a retired captain in the merchant marines).

Come the evening and all was going as well as I could have expected, although I just wanted it to be over. (It was obvious that I was not the class of person they wanted their DD to be dating, but I was going to be leaving for university in a couple of months so they could see a glimmer of hope that the relationship would likely end at that point).

At some point I excused myself to go to the bathroom. Like the rest of the house it was magnificently appointed and well kept - a far cry from the "nettie" at the bottom of the yard that I'd grown up with.) The lid on the toilet was even covered in a thick furry cloth, and after I had raised both lid and seat I pointed Percy at the porcelain and was in full flow when the lid and seat fell forward causing me to grab at it to stop it crashing down. Of course, I lost my aim and hosed down the wall, carpet and toilet roll that was hanging there

I must have been in that bathroom 20 minutes affecting repairs as best I could By the time I was finished, the once full toilet roll was almost gone and the damp patches were still visible. On return I was politely asked if I was okay, as I had been away a long time and was now sweating profusely. I was able to feign illness and take my leave shortly afterwards. This time I really thought that this was the end of the relationship. But, next week at school Wendy never mentioned the despoiled bathroom and we continued our relationship right through the time I left for college, and by letter for a few months afterwards.

However, I was never invited to tea again.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:50 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
OMG!!!! That's amazing! I guess she was a very prescient 14-year-old young lady!

Audrey
I'm not sure about being prescient - persistent might be a more accurate but insufficient word. I think she wanted to date someone who was also a friend. We had known each other for several years and had ridden bikes together, played marbles (she was the only one I didn't insist on playing "for keeps" with) talked to each other at school recess, etc.

Our next date wasn't until late HS, so there wasn't any continuing romance from that first date. We didn't marry until after we'd both completed college. We were friends all that time, however. We're still best friends after almost 56 years though we've only been married for 40.

I guess that's the short version of the long story.

Okay, to make it a bit longer she still brags to anyone who will listen that she ended up with all the marbles in the deal.

Old 03-10-2010, 12:57 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We had known each other for several years and had ridden bikes together, played marbles (she was the only one I didn't insist on playing "for keeps" with) talked to each other at school recess, etc.
Now if that ain't love, I don't know what is....