Any GPS experts here?

I leave the mount in place and just snap the Garmin unit out of the mount and stick it in my purse or hide it out of sight.

I generally use the suction cup mount on the windshield. .

Martha, don't you live in a state that prohibits windshield mounts? Leaving the mount in place might be tempting fate. Have you considered a beanbag mount?

I had a GPS moment today in rural NJ. When I drove through a small town business district, several streets that I was supposed to turn on were closed for construction. I continued past the closed streets and let GPS recalculate my route. I ended up in the middle of NOWHERE when GPS announced "Destination ahead on the right" and sure enough my customer's business (the only business within 10 miles of unmarked roads) was just beyond a clump of trees right where GPS said it would be.

I continued past the closed streets and let GPS recalculate my route. I ended up in the middle of NOWHERE when GPS announced "Destination ahead on the right" and sure enough my customer's business (the only business within 10 miles of unmarked roads) was just beyond a clump of trees right where GPS said it would be.

Sometimes it's just an adventure!

-- Rita

We bought a Garmin Nuvi 350 last fall and now we can't live without it! My husband travels quite a bit with his job and it has proved invaluable. When we are feeling silly we will purposely go a different way just so we can hear "Jill" say "RECALCULATING"! She sounds more pissed off every time! Get one!!

Ours is Gunilla Pia Svenson (GPS).

Wouldn't it be fun to produce one that says things like: "Sheesh -- you missed the turn again. Typical...."?

What you described was the predecessor to GPS, called the Transit Doppler system. It dated back to the early 60s, hence was before my time.

Right, but if I called it by that name most would be clueless about it.:D

It was good then, a bit cumbersome, still better than sextant fixes. I still like the new versions better. You are right about the technology being useless for general public use without cheap/easy user interface.

Yeah, Jill(?) sounds annoyed when she says "recalculating". I sometimes talk back at her when I miss my turn and she says recalculating (I am not the best driver in the world, so she really pushes my button with that one. :mad:)

I need an upgraded software with improved Jill, who is more patient with me. :rolleyes:

Martha, don't you live in a state that prohibits windshield mounts? Leaving the mount in place might be tempting fate. Have you considered a beanbag mount?

Sometimes I follow the law, sometimes I don't.

The disk mount came with the GPS so I attached it to the dash of the MH. In the car I use the windshield. In the car I usually drop the GPS into my purse when I leave the car. I don't in the MH. I thought about the beanbag mount but decided all was well with what I was already doing.

I just took a 4400 mile road trip in the MH over the past couple of months. Mrs. Garmin was invaluable. Oddly though, she choose a different route to Texas than she chose the last time. This one had more stops and goes as it wasn't all freeway. It was a bit shorter but took about the same amount of time. On the way back I forced a route using waypoints.

Sometimes I follow the law, sometimes I don't.

Hope I did not offend. I only meant to point out that the windshield mounts are not legal in some places. It's all fairly new to me since I had no experience with GPS before Xmas and now we have four in the household. I bought one on Ebay that came without the mount which is how I found out about the bean bag mounts. Some folks claim even leaving the suction cup mounts on the windshield glass is an invitation to thieves, but that seems extreme to me.

No offense taken. The beanbag mount sounds like a good idea, the only worry would be a quick stop.

I've had a Garmin bean bag mount for a number of years. Initially the thing was so sticky that when I moved it, I literally had to pry it off the dash. Over time, though, the stickiness receded and it started to slide around. I applied a layer of clear silicon caulk to the underside and it was sticky again for about a year - then back to slippery.

It might have to do with my living off a gravel road - always dust on the instrument panel. :confused:

No offense taken. The beanbag mount sounds like a good idea, the only worry would be a quick stop.

My sister had a bean bag mount... the problem is not quick stops but an accident... which she had... and the unit was flying around... but then again maybe the windshield mounts (suction cups) would not hold with that much energy...

Thanks to tmm's info, we have it on the windshield. That dash would never work on our Echo.

We have it on the passenger side, down in the corner, and I can't believe that any cop in the world would cite you for something in that location.

Martha,
The beanbag mount comes with a little hook that you affix to the dash, just to prevent it from sliding around (although it's pretty heavy).

-- Rita

Attachments

• GPS.jpg
    GPS.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 170
Faster!

A little to the left...

Yeah, that's it...

Attachments

• GPS.jpg
    GPS.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 163
Inspired by the photo of Ms. Garmin (and DW saying "I'm buying a GPS"), we just got a small Tom Tom One 130S. Refurbished, 6 month guarantee, $70 delivered.

DW really likes it, and I liked the price. But I'm still using a map...

I think you have done us a disservice by not including her photo...
In the 1970s the submarine force briefly experimented with a [-]kinder, gentler[/-] more specific alarm indicator.

One submarine was refitted with a voice-announcing system. Instead of the vehicle equivalent of "Your door is ajar", this one was for emergencies. No more garbled watchstander reports or ear-banging general alarms-- instead a seductive female voice would announce "Fire. Fire. Fire in the engine room." [Now that I think about it, she sounded a lot like the Star Trek ship's computer. Was that Majel Barrett too?]

Submariners run a LOT of drills, and have a few casualties as well. Her voice became pretty well known and within a week the crew had taken to calling her "the b!tch in a box".

The experiment never made it to the fleet.

Doesn't Garmin offer a bunch of celebrity voices for their GPS audio? Can you imagine getting directions from Joan Rivers or Steve Carrell's "Office" character?

Love my old Magellan Roadmate 760. Prefer with the female voice - now if we could get Sean Connery's voice on that sucker, I'd be all over it! I travel with it and it takes a few minutes to decide I am not 2300 miles from my destination when I fly from coast to coast! I like the fact I can turn up the voice volume and not have to look at the screen when driving in busy traffic (had to get to LaGuardia last night from NJ - always an interesting trip!)

I like the fact I can turn up the voice volume and not have to look at the screen when driving in busy traffic (had to get to LaGuardia last night from NJ - always an interesting trip!)
It'd probably be easier to take a plane...

Love my old Magellan Roadmate 760. Prefer with the female voice - now if we could get Sean Connery's voice on that sucker, I'd be all over it!
I hear they have Marlon Brando as he sounded in On theThe Waterfront.

Ha

Back
Top Bottom