Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-01-2015, 09:16 AM   #21
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn2bwild View Post
PS - if you are using refilled 'knock-off' brand cartridges, I had a few that were bad right out of the wrapper.
Yea, this was my experience too. I could not justify the high cost of original manufacturer ink cartridges in such an old printer, and the off brand printer head on cartridge type were too unreliable. It was cheaper to replace the machine.
slaternuthink is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2015, 10:23 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If you print only occasionally and have access to a Staples or Office Depot kind of store, just use their services instead of dealing with dried out ink cartridges.

Install a pdf print driver to create a pdf file, put it on an SD card and take it there and have it printed. I think (but am not sure) you can print over the internet at these location too, but obviously, there are privacy issues.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:36 AM   #23

what to do with old printer - from Office Space

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:38 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

even better - take it out and shoot it with about 30 rounds of 7.62
Old 05-01-2015, 10:44 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I bought an HP 2350 about 5 years ago. Printer was less than $100 and toner was $35. I'm up to about 6,000 sheets printed with about 10,000 left to go on this toner. This printer may very well outlive me. And since it's quite a few years old, it'll work with just about any OS. I bet it might work with my old Commdore Vic 20! I across bought a spare printer (same kind) for about $75 last year just to have a spare!

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors.
Old 05-01-2015, 11:53 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I applaud you for staying on '95. But after 20 years maybe an upgrade may be in order.

🐑
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 06:03 PM   #27
Gone but not forgotten

Solve the printer problem for less than the cost of a cartridge... $29.95

Canon PIXMA MG2520 Inkjet All-in-One Wired Printer - Walmart.com which include starter cartridges, and free shipping.

And solve the Windows 95 limitation with an upgrade to Windows 7 with 4Gig memory, dual core processor and a 750Gig hard drive. for $141.75... free shipping.

Dell Off-Lease, Refurbished Black 755 Desktop PC with Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 4GB Memory, 750GB Hard Drive and Windows 7 Professional (Monitor Not Included) - Walmart.com same w/ 2 Gig mem.. $88.

Have been buying offlease computers for years, and never pay more than $150. Never had a problem....

Current model printers sell for $5 at Salvation Army and other resale stores. Nothing wrong with them, just that people who are not heavy users, decide to buy a brand new printer w/cartridges for less than what they would have to pay for cartridges alone.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 06:24 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaternuthink View Post
Yea, this was my experience too. I could not justify the high cost of original manufacturer ink cartridges in such an old printer, and the off brand printer head on cartridge type were too unreliable. It was cheaper to replace the machine.
Thanks, one and all ,for your much appreciated comments/advice. I am clinging to the hope that the new one was bad but ............if I swab the printhead(?) with a moistened Q-tip and the Q-tip gets very discolored, doesn't that mean that the ink is there and available? Before the swabbing the metal is shiny .

I am going to miss this old system........not connected to internet any more but has spreadsheet capabilities. Perfect for security.. The newer Macs we own don't , AFAIK, have built in spreadsheet capabilities? Well, Numbers is there and maybe it's just being unfamiliar ,but it doesn't seem as versatile as Excel .
Then there is stuff like Google sheets but that's stored out there and I would have some concerns about that.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 06:49 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Have you used the later versions of Excell? If not you'll have some frustrating learning on it. So I'd pick my poison and go with your best bet. Good luck.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 08:02 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
Thanks, one and all ,for your much appreciated comments/advice. I am clinging to the hope that the new one was bad but ............if I swab the printhead(?) with a moistened Q-tip and the Q-tip gets very discolored, doesn't that mean that the ink is there and available? Before the swabbing the metal is shiny .

I am going to miss this old system........not connected to internet any more but has spreadsheet capabilities. Perfect for security.. The newer Macs we own don't , AFAIK, have built in spreadsheet capabilities? Well, Numbers is there and maybe it's just being unfamiliar ,but it doesn't seem as versatile as Excel .
Then there is stuff like Google sheets but that's stored out there and I would have some concerns about that.
I don't think you have to get rid of the old system ( although it might be worth some $$$, retro/vintage computing has a following ).

You can check this service manual for the printer, LEXMARK 1000 COLOR JETPRINTER SERVICE MANUAL Pdf Download.

almost all laser printers support PCL , you can install one and just use the HP laser 4 drivers. I have setup lasers on old unix systems just using a standard HP laser 4 driver. Some advanced functions may not work.

Check ebay for a used laser, win9x included support for most HP lasers and most all lasers are compatible with HP.

HP Support document - HP Support Center
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 12:28 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
... The newer Macs we own don't , AFAIK, have built in spreadsheet capabilities? Well, Numbers is there and maybe it's just being unfamiliar ,but it doesn't seem as versatile as Excel . ....
LibreOffice. Free, open source. Works very well as an Excel/Office replacement (might have issues importing docs with macros, but these aren't common in simple stuff).

https://www.libreoffice.org/

Available for Mac, Win, & Linux.

I'll join the chorus for a laser printer. I nursed along some old inkjets in the family, as I could get very cheap carts for them (Canon BCI-24), $1-$2 each. But the last one finally was too much trouble to keep going (I drilled holes in old ink carts and flushed alcohol thru them, soaked print heads, replaced two print heads over the years and 4 different printers for family).

Then started buying cheap Brother lasers (HL2270DW) for the family ($9--$100). Up to five now, all working great. Set it for toner saver mode, and 'continue on low toner' mode, and I've got > 1000 from the starter cart (rated ~ 700), and TN450 replacements (rated at 2600) are cheap ($15, much less if you watch for sales). I very occasionally miss color, but I sure don't miss futzing with ink carts and clogs, etc.

You can get color lasers too of course, but they are more $, and larger and heavier, and the toner might be much more. If anyone can recc a good one, I'm all ears/eyes.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 03:24 PM   #32

We bought a hp laserjet 5L in 1995 it was more than a few hundred bucks at the time. We would still be using it except it would not connect to our laptops, even with a UBS to parallel cable. a Brother HL2270DW wireless for $100 is a better way to go.
Old 05-08-2015, 05:39 PM   #33

Just an update: first, thanks to all for the suggestions which I will bookmark for future use. Sounds like the laser and PCL might be the answer someday.

Fortunately it appears that my dream might have come true......that both the old and new cartridges were both bad but for perhaps for different reasons (or maybe the same). The old one was very low on ink since I had milked it for all it was worth and then I had perhaps drained the last drops by swabbing w/ a
q-tip in an attempt to clean what I call the printhead (maybe it's not).....the rectangular metal part on the bottom of the cartridge. The new one was the last one in stock from vendor A and I had purposely picked that vendor with a higher price to avoid the $5 cheapie from another vendor B. It also came w/ Prime delivery in a few days. When both didn't work, I was a bit concerned that I might have created the problem by cleaning the contact surfaces in the printer or something else in the handling.

In a last ditch attempt I ordered 1 of many in stock from vendor B for the $5 and free shipping which took about a week. It looked like a $5 deal when it arrived w/ ink all over and I had to give it a bath first. I then held my breath and said a little prayer , then smiled a bit as the test pattern emerged .

Turns out I now have a love affair w/ Amazon. They said they would refund the price from vendor A and not to even bother sending it back. Just like Costco when we take the bad fruit back.......they just toss it in the trash w/o even looking at it. The customer's word is gold........must work......we keep going back.

Lessons learned.........don't get the last cartridge in stock and don't avoid the
lowest bidder...........it worked great to provide existence proof that the printer was still alive.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 11:29 AM   #34
Dryer sheet aficionado

^ That's great kaneohe, it's so nice when things go the easy way. I have a couple of programs running on my 'old' Dell XP laptop that I will keep alive as long as practicable.
slaternuthink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 11:49 AM   #35

I disdain inkjet technology. I bought a B&W laserjet 4000 ~20 years ago and it is still going fine, with a minimum ($~$50) toner costs over the years.

I recently purchased a used color laserjet. Very pleased so far.

It seems that Inkjet technology is designed to enrich the ink suppliers and frustrate the end user.

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote