Join Early Retirement Today

Any interest in a SW FL E-R.org get-together?
Old 03-05-2017, 07:42 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Any interest in a SW FL E-R.org get-together?

I've enjoyed hearing about other E-R.org forum real life get-togethers over the years and thought it might be fun to have a gathering of forum participants in SW Florida.

I know we have folks here who are full-timers in SW Florida* and others who are snowbirds.

As it's currently peak 'season', it's likely that we have the maximum number of forum folks in the area. And a get-together might be nice before the snowbirds begin their migration back "up north".

I'm currently snowbirding in Estero (between Naples and Fort Myers) and will be headed back to Michigan in May.

If you're interested in a meet-up someplace in the area for a burger & beer (or whatever), please post as to your interest and availability. We can then figure out the details as to location and date & time.

omni

(*loosely defined as areas in/around Ft. Myers, Bonita Springs, Naples, Marco Island, Cape Coral, Punta Gorda, Charlotte Harbor... Heck, even Sarasota/Venice locales aren't that far away.)
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2017, 07:47 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm just outside of Estero, and would be interested, especially if its on a weekend. Still traveling during the week for w*rk.
Lagniappe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 07:59 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm interested depending on location.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 08:48 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I could do it. Bonita Springs until the end of April. Sounds fun.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:54 PM   #5
Gone but not forgotten

I 'm interested . Sarasota .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Planning.....
Old 03-08-2017, 08:54 AM   #6

Planning.....

Thanks for the speedy responses. Looks like we've got some interest.

And, to accommodate everyone who responded, a weekend gathering is best.

TIMING
How does an upcoming Saturday sound? Say, March 25 or April 1, possibly?

Moemg-- would you be willing to drive down to the Fort Myers area?

omni
Old 03-09-2017, 08:09 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Those dates sound good to me. I'm flexible.

I know Khan lives down here on Pine Island. I haven't seen her online recently, so I sent her a PM about the meetup. If any of y'all know anybody else that lives down here, let them know we're planning this. Looking forward to it.
Old 03-10-2017, 07:21 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
Thanks for the speedy responses. Looks like we've got some interest.

And, to accommodate everyone who responded, a weekend gathering is best.

TIMING
How does an upcoming Saturday sound? Say, March 25 or April 1, possibly?

Moemg-- would you be willing to drive down to the Fort Myers area?

omni

April 1 sounds great.
Lagniappe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 02:28 PM   #9

pb4uski -- I'm trying to send you a PM response but your mailbox is full.

omni
Old 03-10-2017, 07:54 PM   #10
Gone but not forgotten

I would probably be willing to travel. Come on Sarasota members sign up .Simple girl lives on Siesta Key I think and I know pb4uski is down for the winter .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 09:27 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I'm planning to attend unless the date conflicts with company visiting. Moemg, assuming the meeting is south of Sarasota perhaps we can carpool. Heading back north in late April... so time is of the essence!

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 08:43 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

By the way, is anybody that's going to be there interested in a free Canon MF8280Cw Color Wifi AiO laser printer? Free? It needs new toner cartridges, but otherwise is in perfect working order. I can bring it with me if there's any interest. I bought a new color laser printer cheaper than I could get the toner (~$275), so I don't need it any more. I live in a neighborhood of old people who barely even use email, so none of them were interested. Let me know and I'll bring it.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:01 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Sure, as long as I don't have to upgrade my attire from flip flops, shorts and a Columbia fishing shirt. Cape Coral here.
bigcmagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 09:10 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcmagor View Post
Sure, as long as I don't have to upgrade my attire from flip flops, shorts and a Columbia fishing shirt. Cape Coral here.
Don't worry. If it was formal we'd have specified "socks required".
Here's the date & time, location yet TBD
Old 03-14-2017, 07:12 PM   #15

Here's the date & time, location yet TBD

Great! Sounds like we've got 6 people interested. Two from Sarasota, 3 from the Estero/Bonita Springs vicinity, and 1 from Cape Coral

Let's plan on Saturday, April 1 for lunch at 1:00 pm.

I'm looking for places in the Punta Gorda/Charlotte Harbor area to "meet in the middle" (roughly an hour from Sarasota and an hour from Bonita Springs).

I'm not familiar with anything there^^. Harley, Lagniappe, bigcmagor...do you have any suggestions thereabouts? (If not, I'll dig into yelp and/or tripadvisor).

omni
Old 03-14-2017, 07:58 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I don't know the area either. A friend told me the Two Crackers and a Yankee BBQ was good, but I've never been there and don't know what the restaurant part is like. He only ever gets carryout. Other than that, no idea. I'm totally flexible food category-wise. I like all types (too much), so whatever people want I'll be fine with.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:18 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

The only place I have experience with up that way is Harpoon Harry's in Fisherman's Village in Punta Gorda. It's a restaurant at the end of an old wharf full of shops and the main tourist draw in Punta Gorda. By April 1, the snowbird and spring break crowd may have thinned out. Just about anything else would be easier to get to though.
bigcmagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 06:06 AM   #18

you guys are making me teary eyed with nostalgia. My folks, who are both gone now, spent the happiest years of their lives retired in a condo on Barefoot Beach in Bonita Springs. One of the things that made it so happy for them was my mom's sister and her husband were in Estero.
All 4 of them met, in Italy, right after WWII. My Dad and Uncle were Army chums dating these two nice looking Italian girls. Two soldiers, two war-brides. Lots of great stories.

Have fun, enjoy the sun.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 07:40 AM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
One of the things that made it so happy for them was my mom's sister and her husband were in Estero.
All 4 of them met, in Italy, right after WWII. My Dad and Uncle were Army chums dating these two nice looking Italian girls. Two soldiers, two war-brides. Lots of great stories.
Great story indeed.
neihn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 07:43 AM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

I had been at Hurricane Charley in Punta Gorda - Food is okay, sushi is good - nice view.

We moved from Portland OR to North Port FL, last Sept. However, I still work and commute between OR and FL.

Sorry that I can't make it - still in OR in April.
neihn is offline   Reply With Quote