Join Early Retirement Today

Any interesting observation
Old 05-09-2005, 05:46 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Any interesting observation

Seems funny how most people in the workforce would fear being layed off from their jobs while many in this forum would welcome it.

For an ER'er being layed off enables one to collect unemployment insurance and probably get severance pay as well.
Thats alot better than quitting and getting nada.

Any comments?
GTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Any interesting observation
Old 05-09-2005, 05:50 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

"Fortune" favors the prepared mind... and portfolio.

A layoff is still a disaster for most of the workforce.

As TH has mentioned before, jumping through the unemployment hoops is hardly worth the unemployment checks.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 06:16 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords

As TH has mentioned before, jumping through the unemployment hoops is hardly worth the unemployment checks.
I always enjoyed collecting those unemploymenty checks. Hoops aplenty, to be sure. Still, it beat workin' and I was getting money back from the government. It was like "money for nothin'". Nope, it was
even better. I loved collecting unemployment.

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 06:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTM
Seems funny how most people in the workforce would fear being layed off from their jobs while many in this forum would welcome it.

For an ER'er being layed off enables one to collect unemployment insurance and probably get severance pay as well.
Thats alot better than quitting and getting nada.

Any comments?
I was never actually "Laid off", but I was fired a few times and I quit
(with cause) a couple of others. Every time I was unemployed was
like a nice vacation. I think there were 2 main reasons.
First, I never in my life worried about finding a job; and secondly,
when I was working I was giving it 110% every day, day after day.
Sometimes being unemployed begins to look very appealing.

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 08:29 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Do you read these threads from bottom to top instead of top to bottom?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 10:46 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I read them side to side :
Old 05-10-2005, 10:49 AM   #7

Old 05-10-2005, 11:15 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTM
Not me. Way too early and haven't fully vested all stock options. Talk to me in 12-15 years...
Old 05-10-2005, 01:04 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Being laid off would give me a good excuse to ER. I could bail today and get a $3000/month cola pension and lifetime benefits. But DW reminds me I have a 10 year old, to which I say, "who cares how old she is as long as money is coming in." I've actually set 55 as my outer limits for retiring, but a layoff would hasten this, while keeping me politically correct.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:20 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I took the "force reduction" plan. Year of pay with benefits and a couple of bonus toys. Anyone taking the package was allowed to rehire after 1 year.

I figured it for a one year paid vacation.

Whoops.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 05-10-2005, 04:37 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Well... a few of us are right on the cusp.* Lots of plans, saving like crazy, but not quite to the point where we have enough.* As an IBM employee AND a part-timer the prospect of being laid off is very real -- and I'm thrilled by it one minute and frightened to death the next.* The main issue for me is age -- I THINK I could make it from here to Social Security... but I need to be sure.

Too old to be comfortable with the odds of getting another job that pays this much...

Too young to be comfortable about Social Security being there for me...

My mistake was being born at the wrong time I guess!* ;-D

Caroline
Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 04:49 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline

Too old to be comfortable with the odds of getting another job that pays this much...

Too young to be comfortable about Social Security being there for me...

My mistake was being born at the wrong time I guess!* ;-D

Caroline
Caroline sounds exactly like me although I would take a shot with the severance and unemployment insurance right now.

Too many places I want to see and ain't gettin any younger.
GTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 05:07 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Boy, me and you both Caroline regarding SS being there later. I have 25 years to wonder if it will be there. I wonder how Medicare is going to change, too...
Old 05-10-2005, 05:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords

Hoops? Not nearly as many as there were at work.

My DW collected unemployment from Iowa after we moved to Arizona (long story). She had to make a phone call to an automated number once a week and answer three questions. She also had to make at least two job inquiries of some sort each week. What constituted a job inquiry legaly just isn't that difficult to comply with.

In Arizona, you can comply with the unemployment hoops via the internet. You can even apply initially over the internet. No need to ever wait in a line downtown.

8)
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 06:54 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

You couldnt do that here in CA when I was eligible. They required you to list who you had called, who you sent resumes to, and who you had interviews with. You had to appear to be making a good faith effort to become employed. It had to be done in person. I think I was going to get a couple of hundred bucks a week or something like that. I didnt like that I'd be out and out lying about the 'good faith effort' and I couldnt have been any less interested in making that kind of effort at that point.

Considering my alternative was "spend a couple of hours a week faking trying to become employed, or down another shot of anejo and walk back over to the lake, sit in the water and read a book while bikini clad 20-somethings ran around in the water"...sorry...no contest...