Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Any laptop recommendations
Old 01-16-2006, 06:40 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Any laptop recommendations

Looking for a laptop with all the necessary stuff and warranty.
Prefer something light easy to carry around.

Anyone have any suggestions or know of any deals now?
GTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Any laptop recommendations
Old 01-16-2006, 06:45 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Dell always has a deal going, check fatwallet.com's hot deals forums (search for laptop, notebook, etc) for current deals.

A good way to go if you have one nearby is to go into costco or sams club. They usually carry a half dozen in the store and another dozen on their web sites. You can touch and poke them in person. Best warranty around...if you have a problem with it or just decide you dont like something about it they'll give you a full refund within 6 months. You'll also probably save a few bucks vs buying it from a 3rd rate online store somewhere. Worth the $30-40 membership fee, which is also fully refundable for 364 days from point of purchase if not satisfied.

I saw a pair of averatec's over at sams the other day that were 3.5 and 4.5 lbs, former was a celeron-m 1.1ghz with a 10" screen, 60gb disk, $999, latter has a sempron 3000, 12" screen, 80 gb disk, $799. Never owned one. Cut-Throat tried one and didnt like it because they dont give you recovery disks; the recovery s/w is on a maintenance partition on the hard drive. But costco gave him all his money back and he exchanged it for IIRC a sony he liked a lot.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 07:06 PM   #3

Yup! - Costco got the best return policy.

I ended up with a little sony 10.6 inch screen that I love. Makes all the other laptops look Huge! - If you don't mind the small screen, they are really cool. A little bit on the pricy side, since all the real deals price wise are the 14 and 15 inch screens.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:08 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to yelnad Send a message via Yahoo to yelnad

I prefer my 12" iBook, but I'm weird like that. Before this I had a VAIO. It was great, until my husband spilled an entire glass of water on it. Makes a nice doorstop now.
Old 01-17-2006, 07:34 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

At a mere 12kg...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg texas-instrument_ti-pc-portable_2.jpg (29.3 KB, 142 views)

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 08:20 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Before notebooks, there was the lite Compaq Portable, I am guessing about 12 lbs. I took it with me on vacation for about 4 years. It was a great for weight exercising while I waited for the flight.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:25 AM   #7

I have had my Sony Vaio for about two years and I love it. I bought it at Circuit City - it wasn't cheap but I've never regretted it. It is extremely small and lightweight. I notice the new models don't seem to be quite as small. Mine is only the width of a keyboard....
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 11:41 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ
Before notebooks, there was the lite Compaq Portable, I am guessing about 12 lbs. I took it with me on vacation for about 4 years. It was a great for weight exercising while I waited for the flight.
You mean one of these? I had one too. 28lbs. I actually took it with me on several business trips
Attached Images
File Type: jpg compaqI.JPG (26.7 KB, 126 views)
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:55 AM   #9

I have a Powerbook with a 15" screen which I really like. My wife wants a smaller laptop, maybe 12". But the larger screen is really nice when watching DVDs while on travel. Oh, I meant, while doing letters and spreadsheets while on travel.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ()
You mean one of these?* I had one too.* 28lbs.* I actually took it with me on several business trips
Wasn't that known as a "luggable"?

Interesting web page with the history:

http://www.obsoletecomputermuseum.org/compaq/

I especially liked this sentence:
"Bob Cringely's "Accidental Empires" tells a story of how the president of Compaq sold the idea of the Portable while it was balanced on the toilet in his hotel room bathroom, because that was the only room that had an AC outlet....."

Here's the wikipedia page on it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compaq_portable
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 06:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ()
You mean one of these? I had one too. 28lbs. I actually took it with me on several business trips
No. I was looking for an image of it but couldn't find one. It was closer to the dimensions of a laptop but was about 5+ inches thick. We got it in the early 90's.
I used to commute with it daily besides taking on vacation with me.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:06 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I wouldn't hesitate to go with a Dell.

ALWAYS Google for discount codes before ordering. Another tip... call them and talk to them about what you want. I have done that on two computers and they came down in price in both cases without losing any features.

Good luck.
Old 01-18-2006, 07:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ()
You mean one of these?* I had one too.* 28lbs.* I actually took it with me on several business trips
Do you pine for those days of the luggable?* *Dell hears you.

new 18lb portable
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 07:21 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I've travelled to conferences where everyone was typing away on Dell Latitude D600s and to other conferences where everyone was typing away on Apple G4 15" powerbooks. I have one of each. The D600 is slightly lighter in weight. Both have DVD burners, wireless, enough of everything else.

I use the D600 almost exclusively. Enough said.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 07:50 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
Do you pine for those days of the luggable?
I only pine for the fjords.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:32 PM   #16

I finally found the little sucker.
It was a mere 14 lbs.
It brings back some old memories.

Name: Compaq SLT/286 Laptop
Year Introduced:1990
Description: 14lbs. 1.44 floppy drive, 286 processor
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cpqslt286.jpg (26.1 KB, 96 views)
Old 01-19-2006, 01:11 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

I am reviving this discussion on laptops to try to get a bit more information. I had all sorts of problems with my year old work HP on vacation. It is out of warranty. Because of the cost to repair, our computer person at work wants to get me a new computer. She said she planned to replace with another HP with a three year warranty. I told her I wasn't thrilled with the HP and it never seemed as capable as advertised. For example, it is slow when using digital dictation.

So, any recommendations I could pass along to her? She is willing to consider other options. I need a durable and speedy machine. Lightweight would be nice, but not a necessity. Storage isn't a big deal; most of the time I am on my firm's network. Cost should be no more than $1500-$1700.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 01:27 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
I am reviving this discussion on laptops to try to get a bit more information.* I had all sorts of problems with my year old work HP on vacation.* It is out of warranty.* Because of the cost to repair, our computer person at work wants to get me a new computer.* She said she planned to replace with another HP with a three year warranty.* I told her I wasn't thrilled with the HP and it never seemed as capable as advertised.* For example, it is slow when using digital dictation.

So, any recommendations I could pass along to her?* She is willing to consider other options.* I need a durable and speedy machine. Lightweight would be nice, but not a necessity.* Storage isn't a big deal; most of the time I am on my firm's network.* Cost should be no more than $1500-$1700.*

For that price range, the best machines I've seen are Lenovo Thinkpads (formerly IBM). They work well, the keyboards are great, and the screens are bright. Dell's are just okay.

By the way, by digital dictation, are you referring to literal transcription software (i.e., you speak, the computer transcribes?) or are you simply recording your dictation digitally and transmitting it to your secretary for transcription?
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 01:46 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Gatsby

By the way, by digital dictation, are you referring to literal transcription software (i.e., you speak, the computer transcribes?) or are you simply recording your dictation digitally and transmitting it to your secretary for transcription?
I speak, the computer transcribes. It takes a while for the software to learn your speech, but it doesn't work half bad.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 02:40 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

In that price range, high end dells are good, the sony's are good, my experience with thinkpads prior to the lenovo purchase was that they were top notch. Still have a four year old one that works fine. Since the lenovo purchase I noticed the prices dropped a good bit. Whether thats manufacturing efficiency or cheaper parts I cant say. Jay, is your experience with the lenovo built stinkpads recent, as in since the buyout?

One of the guys that used to work for me was responsible for PC based telephony and he had an awful time with notebook microphones...mostly very cheap and thrown in just to say they have the feature. You might consider a decent quaklity external microphone plugged through a creative labs audigy pcmcia card. Garbage in, garbage out.