Join Early Retirement Today

Any Lumens Experts Out There?
Old 10-26-2015, 11:44 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Any Lumens Experts Out There?

DH is driving me batty. We're remodeling our bathrooms and he's concerned that the LED sconces I want to install are not going to deliver enough light (to shave). We currently have the 'hollywood dressing room' style of lights.

In the master, we have a bar of 14 40W lights...fries the eyeballs each morning! I'm planning on 3 integrated LED sconces mounted in the wall to wall mirror over the 8' vanity.

1st choice: three 12w integrated LED 6"x12" sconces; color temp 3000K; 1021 lumens; 544 delivered lumens. Will this provide enough light? We're also installing 2 recessed lights in the space. Space is a bit over 12' x 12'. All on dimmers.

Last resort: 6" x 20" long sconces; 30W; 1875 lumens; 970 delivered lumens. I'm not fond of this choice due to the length of the sconces.

Hall baths...Currently has bar w/6 & 8 Hollywood lights. Similar to 1st choice above. 2 sconces installed on each side of mirror. We will not be installing other lighting other than a combo fan/light in the shower area. This space is 13.5' x 5.5'.

DH is concerned that there won't be enough light. Thoughts?

Demo commences Monday, so we really need to commit to the lighting!
TrvlBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2015, 06:48 AM   #2

I've replaced most of the lights in our house with leds, except for the fluorescent tubes. I went with 4000k 65watt equivalent in the overhead can lights which are a bit whiter than the halogen I replaced. I tried a 3000k and it was the same color light. I used the light meter on my camera and found the light output from the 8 watt led was about the same as the 65 watt halogens. The rated output is 685 lumens. I bought these from Earthled.com
In the bathroom and over the kitchen sink I used GE Brightstik 5000k from Home depot. We find that the light output is equivalent but the whiter light gives better contrast without being blue. Very pleased with the switch to leds.
Do a search for led equivalent to incandescent and there are some websites that show the differences.
One of the things I was looking for was warranty. Not that many led bulbs offer a true warranty, most are just projected hours.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:47 AM   #3

We have a bathroom with three LED bulbs (2700k) in an over-mirror fixture each rated at 815 lumens. That's much too bright for me, so I have it on a dimmer.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by folivier View Post
One of the things I was looking for was warranty. Not that many led bulbs offer a true warranty, most are just projected hours.
The sconces I like are all integrated LEDs...no bulbs. All offer a 5 year warranty and the plate has 2 screws allowing you to simply pop on another sconce if it should fail in my lifetime or I get tired of it .
Old 10-27-2015, 10:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
We have a bathroom with three LED bulbs (2700k) in an over-mirror fixture each rated at 815 lumens. That's much too bright for me, so I have it on a dimmer.
What are the delivered lumens?
Old 10-27-2015, 10:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrvlBug View Post
What are the delivered lumens?
I ordered them with Amazon Prime, so all the lumens were delivered free.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 11:49 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I ordered them with Amazon Prime, so all the lumens were delivered free.
Old 10-27-2015, 03:20 PM   #8

Our lights run about 3 feet in length, vertically mounted one on each side. Little 40W incandescent bulbs currently, with a translucent cover on the front only. The long length avoids shadows, which I like. I'm not sure 12" would work as well unless it was mounted at exactly face height.

You should be able to look up the average lumens for your current bulbs and then get something close for the new LED's. Something that aims the light to the side instead of directly at you might help reach a compromise with DH.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 07:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animorph View Post
Our lights run about 3 feet in length, vertically mounted one on each side. Little 40W incandescent bulbs currently, with a translucent cover on the front only. The long length avoids shadows, which I like. I'm not sure 12" would work as well unless it was mounted at exactly face height.

You should be able to look up the average lumens for your current bulbs and then get something close for the new LED's. Something that aims the light to the side instead of directly at you might help reach a compromise with DH.
I'm coming to that same conclusion. Time to make some 20" & 27" cutouts of the sconces I like!

In the master, form needs to follow function, however, not so in the hall baths...I just need enough light. We can always install a can for add'l lighting.