Join Early Retirement Today

Any Need to Keep Credit Reports?
Old 10-16-2018, 07:43 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Any Need to Keep Credit Reports?

I've been keeping my credit reports after every year of requesting them.

Just went ahead at looked at my current reports and saw nothing funky going on like not recognized accounts.

Is there any real value of hanging onto the old reports? I can't really think of any, so may just delete and shred.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2018, 10:07 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Shreddit

Old 10-16-2018, 10:11 PM   #3

I keep them, but then I keep everything forever.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:44 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward View Post
I keep them, but then I keep everything forever.
I pity the person that has to sort through your estate. Seriously, bequeathing a mess of papers where some might have meaning and others not is doing no one any favor.
Old 10-17-2018, 05:29 AM   #5

They change almost every week.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 06:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFool View Post
I pity the person that has to sort through your estate. Seriously, bequeathing a mess of papers where some might have meaning and others not is doing no one any favor.
Everything is carefully filed and labeled, with my heirs in mind. But yes, there will be a lot to go through.

I'm hoping the thorough records will help, not hinder, my heirs.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:48 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

I get my credit reports 3x a year, once from each bureau, and then print them to PDF, because I keep EVERYTHING electronically. Even written estimates and invoices get scanned and then shredded. I'm not sure I'll ever need them, but it's not like I'm going to run out of disk space. (I currently run an 11TB NAS at home for storage and as a media server.)
Old 10-17-2018, 08:28 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cosmic Avenger View Post
I get my credit reports 3x a year, once from each bureau, and then print them to PDF, because I keep EVERYTHING electronically. Even written estimates and invoices get scanned and then shredded. I'm not sure I'll ever need them, but it's not like I'm going to run out of disk space. (I currently run an 11TB NAS at home for storage and as a media server.)
What do you use for content management?
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:33 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I just got a used (new to me) portable scanner. Scanned my credit reports for the last two years and saved as PDF. Then then asked myself, "Do I really need to keep them at all?" Probably no, but depends on how much of a data hoarder I am .
Old 10-17-2018, 08:40 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
What do you use for content management?
Google Drive, a folder structure with a folder just for credit reports, and a logical file naming system (YYYY-MM [bureau name]).

And before anyone says anything about cloud storage, I use 2-factor authentication, I get notified when anyone (always me so far) approves a new device, and I use a very strong randomized password. My need to check these documents on the fly outweighs the small increase in security I'd get by air gapping them. I had been using Truecrypt until it reached its end-of-life.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:25 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cosmic Avenger View Post
Google Drive, a folder structure with a folder just for credit reports, and a logical file naming system (YYYY-MM [bureau name]).

And before anyone says anything about cloud storage, I use 2-factor authentication, I get notified when anyone (always me so far) approves a new device, and I use a very strong randomized password. My need to check these documents on the fly outweighs the small increase in security I'd get by air gapping them. I had been using Truecrypt until it reached its end-of-life.
I use Google drive too. I can access things from anywhere. I even bury a copy of my passport there.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 11:30 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
I use Google drive too. I can access things from anywhere. I even bury a copy of my passport there.
IMO LastPass has better security, so I keep information like that in LP, and not at all in Google Drive or Dropbox. But as long as you are at least using Google's two factor authentication, where you need to enter a text or input a generated code on each device at least once every so often, that's pretty good.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:42 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I get my credit reports online and save them in pdf form on my backup up laptop. Not only is this easier to save, but it's also easier to search. At less than 1MB each, this is a trivial amount of storage to use.

If I had them in paper format I'd probably save the last one from each agency just so if something odd did show up I would be able to verify it happened in the last year. I probably wouldn't waste the time to scan the old ones.

Every few years I go through and get rid of old paper records that there's really no sense in saving. It makes my life easier, and will certainly make my son's life easier when I go. Since the last big purge earlier this year I'll probably try to do a smaller purge after tax time each year.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 12:09 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

My initial attempt is also to get the reports online and save as pdf. But I must not be a good multiple choice test taker as have answered incorrectly. So, I just order paper copies the old fashioned way.