Any non-computer, engineers, on board?

Jarhead*

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Just a point of interest. (To me anyway).

I posed this question some time ago, but am curious, as it appears that almost every new (very young) poster appears to have this background.

Thanks, Jarhead

ex-Jarhead said:
Just a point of interest.  (To me anyway).

I posed this question some time ago, but am curious, as it appears that almost every new (very young) poster appears to have this background.

Thanks, Jarhead
Maybe we're noticing that the people most likely to find this board are those computer engineers surfing while waiting for their downloads, uploads, backups, or other computer work to finish.

I'm a nuclear engineer, not a computer one, but I took a lot of programming courses at graduate school...

REWahoo! said:
I'm not a computer guy, not an engineer, not a new poster, and definitely not young...

REW
Me too, exactly. I used to kid the MegaCorp engineers. Told them they never asked why, just how. "Bomb Moscow." "OK", said the engr, "how hard and when?" Never why! I can't even spell engineer. :)

Whakamole said:
I think we computer geeks get burned out on work pretty early on.

Plus we earn enough to actually make ER possible, and most importantly we have all the requisite skills for the incessant tweaking of ER related spreadsheets.... :)

I didn't actually retire early...I just squeezed a lifetime of work into 20 years by working 80+ hour weeks in front of the computer.

Lots of lawyers here, too, including ones who never used one of them spreadsheet things. :)

BS Mech Eng '67 - picked up fortran in undergrad school - basic on my own with Altair computer in '76 - lots of years driving excel and powerpoint in high-tech/special-tech systems world pushing tech tradeoffs with physicists/EE's/accountants who weren't accustomed to looking at other than their pet solutions - retired (not early) at 60.

JohnP

I grew up with a slide rule instead of a computer. Learned enough
to do some stuff and talk the talk but never really got proficient.

Cheers,

Charlie

Old chemical engineer (used the HP-35 when it was new) with military electronics background long ago. Studied economics on the side. Learned fortran for fun. Got into hobby computing with the first Intel 8008's. Built simple computer from relays from a pinball machine as a kid. Used BBS's before the internet. Early user of AOL, where I found The Motley Fool, eventually to REHP. Found the Efficient Frontier early from an article in a financial magazine (Forbes?). Had seen the same article on assets out of phase in the Wall Street Journal that started Bill Bernstein out and exchanged e-mails with him once.

Make a living mostly designing things like chemical plants and equipment--nothing to do with computers.

Maybe we all just had high SAT math scores?

Gypsy

Pharmacist here. Something of a Luddite with regards to technology/computers. I still have a rotary dial telephone but no cellphone. I do own a 3% interest in an online IT college. I'm fairly confident that I couldn't pass any course offered by said college!

Yipee-Ki-O said:
I still have a rotary dial telephone but no cellphone.
I wonder what that puppy would fetch as an eBay collectible...

Transportation/Traffic engineer here. Law school grad too, but couldn't resist the temptation to be an engineer!

techncian w/ AAS (no, not ASS) degree; also have pretty piece of paper that says I have a BS in bidness.

Associates degree is worth much more money...

And, yes, the BS DOES stand for what you think!! :D

Attempted to be an actuary for 2 years, but couldn't pass exams and couldn't stand the awkward silences in office. Now a regulator. :bat:

- Alec

ats5g said:
Attempted to be an actuary for 2 years, but couldn't pass exams and couldn't stand the awkward silences in office. Now a regulator. :bat:

- Alec

"If you can't do it, teach it. If you can't teach it, regulate it." (Sorry Alec...couldn't resist. ;))

REW

REWahoo! said:
"If you can't do it, teach it. If you can't teach it, regulate it." (Sorry Alec...couldn't resist. ;))

REW

Hey REW,

No offense taken. I'm in a totally different industry now.

- Alec

Architect here, but a geeky one, with high SAT math score and love for spreadsheets.

Back
Top Bottom