Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-25-2009, 05:30 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

As Keef allegedly said, "Six strings, five fingers, three chords, one a$$hole"...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2009, 09:43 AM   #62
Give me a forum ...

If you want to play a few songs around the campfire, as opposed to performing in concert, I'd suggest buying a second-hand guitar (chances are you'll go far), such as a Yamaha, then get together with like-minded guitarists, so you can teach each other, and learn some songs from start-to-finish. I can't tell you how many wannabes can play the first few bars of Stairway To Heaven or Freebird...

If you can play about ten chords - G, C, D, Dm, E, Em, A, Am, Bm, and F - you can play nearly every song by such artists as the Eagles, Prine, Dylan, America, CSNY...

Old 12-27-2009, 09:59 AM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
If you want to play a few songs around the campfire, as opposed to performing in concert, I'd suggest buying a second-hand guitar (chances are you'll go far), such as a Yamaha, then get together with like-minded guitarists, so you can teach each other, and learn some songs from start-to-finish. I can't tell you how many wannabes can play the first few bars of Stairway To Heaven or Freebird...

If you can play about ten chords - G, C, D, Dm, E, Em, A, Am, Bm, and F - you can play nearly every song by such artists as the Eagles, Prine, Dylan, America, CSNY...
Another handy piece of equipment to buy for a guitar is a capo. That enables you to change the key of the guitar, upping your aforementioned chords by as many half-steps as you like.

Becasue I don't like to play bar chords, I often use the capo to change the key so they are played differently. Also, I can fit a song better to my voice range by altering the key.
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:11 AM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
Another handy piece of equipment to buy for a guitar is a capo. That enables you to change the key of the guitar, upping your aforementioned chords by as many half-steps as you like.

Becasue I don't like to play bar chords, I often use the capo to change the key so they are played differently. Also, I can fit a song better to my voice range by altering the key.
Not knowing any music means for me that using a capo doesn´t avoid having to use some other bar.....
Anyway my ailment -similar to CTS-provokes that my hand heats up or gets numb after a few songs, mostly the ones with bars. I get some relief by dousing the hand in cold water. But after a couple of dunkings it doesn´t work anymore.
Do you know any home remedies for this?
Old 12-27-2009, 10:22 AM   #65

Have played guitar since about 1964 and have always enjoyed it. Sometimes I'll go for weeks without picking up an instrument and other times I'll play for hours on end. Kind of a good form of therapy as well as keeping the mind and fingers active learning new music. Below are some pics of my current guitars, hate to think how many I've bought, sold and traded over the years. Play all kinds of music (badly) from jazz, blues, rock to classical and anything else that strikes my fancy.

Old 12-27-2009, 10:29 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

G.A.S. - guitar acquisition syndrome...

Pic doesn't include my two acoustics, or my Carvin 50w tube combo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0144.JPG (317.6 KB, 2 views)

Old 12-27-2009, 11:06 AM   #67

Frayne and HF: After seeing your guitars the only thing I can do is bow out discreetly of this thread....
Old 12-27-2009, 11:24 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
Frayne and HF: After seeing your guitars the only thing I can do is bow out discreetly of this thread....
Any fool with a few bucks can buy a guitar...

Old 12-27-2009, 11:32 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Any fool with a few bucks can buy a guitar...
I know, but I bet neither one of you is a fool, but a fantastic player Any useful tips for my ailing hand?
Old 12-27-2009, 12:42 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
I know, but I bet neither one of you is a fool, but a fantastic player Any useful tips for my ailing hand?
Repetitive Strain Injury - The Importance of Warming Up to Avoid Repetitive Straing Injury

Old 12-27-2009, 01:48 PM   #71

Yup, guitars do not make the player, practice does though. At this point in my life I play pretty much for personal enjoyment and to drive my wife deaf. Actually she leaves the house when I crank it up. A little distortion is good for the soul, not so much the ears though.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:00 AM   #72

Here's a little piece I'm currently working on;

Old 12-30-2009, 12:33 AM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
All you frugal people here and not one admits to playing the instrument of the frugal. No, not a cheap instrument but one whose ancestral players were are known for frugality. My parents, who played multiple instruments, tried to get me to learn to play one since they thought that even one born as tone deaf as I was would have a problem making it sound a lot worse than a fine player. They were wrong.

I never got as good as this guy.
I admit it.

I have to rebut that awful video you provided with some world class piping.

If you'll only listen to 2 minutes of bagpipes, listen to this:

Here's the best pipe band (SFU= Simon Fraser University Pipe Band) I know of doing some excellent work (plus a cute tenor drummer at 2:17!):

Same band, with some flashier tunes:

Good acoustics plus a soloist and the same band, with some flashy stuff at the end (the video focus gets better after a minute or so):

You still don't have to like them, but at least listen to some good stuff!

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:25 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

I thought I'd bring this old thread back to life and post a song that was recorded last week. My DH played bass.............

A friend of DH's wrote and arranged this tune for a choreographers showcase.

blues for gene by pbass76 on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
Old 03-24-2011, 06:40 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Very cool!
Old 03-24-2011, 07:58 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Thanks Al...I was thinkin' of ya when I posted it.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:41 AM   #77

I have a nice Martin HD-28. I don't know if I'd call what I do playing, but I try.
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:07 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Hey, I looked through this thread looking for drummers...any of you know anything about African drums? DH and I have been taking an African drumming class (on Congas) and want to buy, hopefully used, a couple of djembe drums. Any ideas or suggestions?

We aren't exactly ready for the drum circle at the music festival, but we might manage a few beats at the campsite if we can find some drums. Harley, bring your whatchamacallit and join in at FF!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:26 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

54 drums and a tenor sax? Sounds like a recipe for a disturbing the peace arrest to me.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:28 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Hey, I looked through this thread looking for drummers...any of you know anything about African drums? DH and I have been taking an African drumming class (on Congas) and want to buy, hopefully used, a couple of djembe drums. Any ideas or suggestions?

We aren't exactly ready for the drum circle at the music festival, but we might manage a few beats at the campsite if we can find some drums. Harley, bring your whatchamacallit and join in at FF!
check out craigslist. they usually have a pretty healthy music inst. section
mh is offline   Reply With Quote