Join Early Retirement Today

Any one read Time Magazine?
Old 09-04-2016, 09:46 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Any one read Time Magazine?

Just wondering if anyone saw the articles on mob mentality. Tyranny of the Mob.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2016, 11:30 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Are you referring to the article on internet trolls?

Old 09-04-2016, 12:38 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes. It was a real eye opener for me. I have seen a few on the internet, but had no idea how pervasive it might be in our culture.
Old 09-04-2016, 01:54 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGal View Post
Yes. It was a real eye opener for me. I have seen a few on the internet, but had no idea how pervasive it might be in our culture.
Next time you read a news article on line, read the comments, especially if it is a political article. You will lose faith in humanity.
Old 09-04-2016, 02:05 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I haven't read the article, but participate enough on twitter, etc., - the underbelly of racism and sexism is far bigger and uglier online that most would imagine. Anonymity + ease of access seems to breed and connect the trolls with a sense of false legitimacy, in their own sub-culture.

Many recent examples (Gamergate, the Ghostbusters remake), it's not possible to be an outspoken female or POC on the internet, without being subject to regular barrage of death threats.
Old 09-04-2016, 02:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Next time you read a news article on line, read the comments, especially if it is a political article. You will lose faith in humanity.
Don't lose hope, or faith.

NPR recently announced it is shutting down the comments section (here). Less than 0.1% of readers actually post comments, and of that group, half the comments come from 10% of the commenters - 0.01% of the readers. They internet gives them a channel to shout out their crazy views, but it does not make that voice is any more relevant.
Old 09-04-2016, 02:31 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

If there were ever any lingering doubt (and I doubt there was much), the story of Tay should have disabused us of it.

The racist hijacking of Microsoft's chatbot shows how the internet teems with hate
Old 09-04-2016, 04:16 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I have slipped into the comments in local news, public Facebook type posts, Internet news and religious posts. While at least 50% of the conversation shows me different views and some food for thought, I have seen those that degrade to the lowest level possible - just hateful. I have seen some of the stories about the recent Ghostbusters movie and it is really sad what they did.

The fact that some of these people even subscribe to boards where they slam each other is just crazy.

I do have a personal friend who had to move a few years ago because the neighbors had targeted them. They did everything possible to harass them that was just shy of illegal. The emotional toll on the family was huge. I have also read about it happening to others, so I wonder if this was the same people acting out in real life as well as online.

I honestly don't think this behavior happened to the same extent 30-40 years ago and that the internet provides a mechanism for them to communicate and feed off of each other.
Old 09-04-2016, 06:22 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGal View Post
I have slipped into the comments in local news, public Facebook type posts, Internet news and religious posts. While at least 50% of the conversation shows me different views and some food for thought, I have seen those that degrade to the lowest level possible - just hateful. .......
I honestly don't think this behavior happened to the same extent 30-40 years ago and that the internet provides a mechanism for them to communicate and feed off of each other.
I thought this was going to be a discussion of how Time magazine is good/bad and I was going to tell everyone I just signed my FIL up for a year subscription using 1,200 AA points. Which I think is pretty cheap and renews the clock on my points for another year.

I sometimes read the comments, and you are correct, some are pretty useful/informative. While others are garbage/spam/hate.

Besides the internet allowing the hater/bigot/racist to unite into a community it has allowed paedophile and other sex offenders to band together and strengthen/increase their criminal activities.

Freedom does have a price...
Old 09-04-2016, 07:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post

NPR recently announced it is shutting down the comments section (here). Less than 0.1% of readers actually post comments, and of that group, half the comments come from 10% of the commenters - 0.01% of the readers. They internet gives them a channel to shout out their crazy views, but it does not make that voice is any more relevant.

I heard some commentary on this. It takes too much time/effort to moderate the comments section. Some providers will require a Facebook Login ID to register which eliminates anonymity (don't know this personally as I am not on FB). The comments section was supposed to elevate the discussion instead. The editor of Calculated Risk was on Bloomberg telling how he discovered his co-blogger Tanta as a contributor to the comments section.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-04-2016, 08:25 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
......... Some providers will require a Facebook Login ID to register which eliminates anonymity (don't know this personally as I am not on FB).........
My local newspaper, the Detroit Free Press, started requiring Facebook IDs to post in the comments, which were a real dog's breakfast. It didn't help. Some people have fake Facebook IDs and some people just don't seem to care and will post the most hateful, racist comments imaginable. There is nothing to gain by reading the comments, as they follow a predictable pattern.
Old 09-04-2016, 09:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Less than 0.1% of readers actually post comments, and of that group, half the comments come from 10% of the commenters - 0.01% of the readers. They internet gives them a channel to shout out their crazy views, but it does not make that voice is any more relevant.
When I worked in radio, we used the callers on the request lines to help the sound of the station i.e. recording them requesting songs, yelling with glee when they won contests etc, but we were also told not to take anything they said that seriously, as they were not representative of the listenership as a whole. It's also true with the internet, that the very loud vocal minority do not represent the overall population. I think that any site which considers itself a serious news source would do well to disable online comments.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:52 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

How Trolls Are Ruining the Internet | TIME is the article. Interesting meeting the author had with one of his trolls, described near the end--sound like she had been posting under the influence.

Disabling comments is probably a good idea for online publications--make the trolls write e-letters to the editor that can be selected by an editor and edited as necessary before publication, just like they do for the printed version.

Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 09:06 AM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

That's a one-sided article that erroneously blames almost all trolling on those with an opposing political viewpoint from the author, when in reality, the opposite seems to be true.
Old 09-05-2016, 09:22 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

+1 for NPR
Old 09-05-2016, 09:25 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
That's a one-sided article that erroneously blames almost all trolling on those with an opposing political viewpoint from the author, when in reality, the opposite seems to be true.

I've been reading articles about trolling on various media for about a year and I assure you trolls are found in every political party, across every demographic.

There was a podcast about trolling that I listened to in early 2016 where a troll was interviewed who said he didn't even believe most of what he was saying, but it felt "good" to get a reaction out of people.

It's not about the message. It's about being a troll.
Old 09-05-2016, 10:18 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

I haven't found it limited to politics or anything in particular. We have a local Facebook site that posts local news. Even the comments for a snow storm article can get hateful.

I guess a lot can be going on in someones life and with their health that might cause them to lash out online. Then there is the anonymous factor, that nobody knows who you are. ..but not by any means an excuse. Especially when it turns personal and impacts someones life.
Old 09-05-2016, 10:21 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Thanks for posting this. I could not find the link online. I subscribe to a magazine app for the iPad and the actual title wasn't clear to me.
Old 09-05-2016, 12:10 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FI by 2024 View Post
............ a troll was interviewed who said he didn't even believe most of what he was saying, but it felt "good" to get a reaction out of people. ...........
Exactly, the whole purpose of trolling is to get an emotional reaction. That is why it is best to ignore trolls.
Old 09-05-2016, 12:57 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets