Any opportunities in the military for my GF?

Fantasm

Recycles dryer sheets
I'm trying to get my GF into a job of some type and doing stuff because I'm tired of her sitting at home every day.
Are there any opportunities in the military (any group) for a petite 5ft'3 110lbs type of girl that would keep her local to Los Angeles (more like Woodland Hills area - so maybe Ventura'ish)?

Just reaching out for ideas and suggestions.

I'm trying to get my GF into a job of some type and doing stuff because I'm tired of her sitting at home every day.
Are there any opportunities in the military (any group) for a petite 5ft'3 110lbs type of girl that would keep her local to Los Angeles (more like Woodland Hills area - so maybe Ventura'ish)?

It's been over thirty years for me so if things haven't changed, then they send you wherever they need you.

I suspect that things would go much better if she was the one weary of her "sitting at home." Be careful what you wish for.

Sure, they'll let her stay right there, just have her go on down & sign up....:LOL:

On a more serious note, she could look into the Guard or Reserves, which would let her keep living where she is, and only serve one weekend a month, and a couple of weeks per year....unless she's ordered to deploy overseas for awhile, that is. I'm not too sure the military is the way to go in this case, if it's just to get her out of the house. Keep the Guard & Reserve thing in mind, though. Just don't make the mistake of thinking it's just a weekend fun trip, though. There's a lot involved.

When I was a Reservist, it was not uncommon for my co-workers to live entirely off their reserve pay. They would do extra days and TDY's as much as possible. IIRC we were limited to 180 days of extras and the rest had to come from deployments or training. The guys would have orders cut for five days per week, so the 180 days actually lasted nine months instead of six.

I would have orders cut for my days off. I drove 2.5 hours to get to my base. My total expense was about $55 for gas, recreational drinks, and food (it was about 15 years ago). My pay for the two days, including per diem and travel, was equal to about a week and a half's pay from my regular job.

If it is not something she wants to do, don't force her. If she does relent she will hate it and blame you.

Um, are you out of your mind? Or just eager to be rid of her?

I've drafted several different replies to this post, but I'm just going to quit while I'm behind...

Military? Just stay local? You can forget about it. These days, the Reserves and National Guard are deployed just as much as the full-time active component.

There are several niche specialties which guarantee this not to happen, depending on the person's skills. Better yet, do you have a volunteer fire department near you?

I've drafted several different replies to this post, but I'm just going to quit while I'm behind...

Darn, I was awaiting your reply!!! I was also waiting to see if he was just joking.

Darn, I was awaiting your reply!!! I was also waiting to see if he was just joking.

Wasn't joking, not sure why this isn't being taken as a serious Q.
Anyways, if you don't really have any control over where you are sent or stay then it doesn't make it an option for me.

She's too much of a girl to do anything hardcore in the military, I was thinking some local desk job, if she could even make it through boot camp

She's too much of a girl to do anything hardcore in the military, I was thinking some local desk job, if she could even make it through boot camp

I've known some pretty tough "girls" in the military. If it's a local desk type job you/she are looking for, then I wouldn't go the military route.

When I joined the Army in 1962, they asked me what I wanted to do. I said I wanted to be a cook or a truck driver. They sent me to language school to learn Russian. After leaving Monterey, they asked me where I'd like to be deployed. I said Alaska. They sent me to Germany.

If she decides to try, tell her to request "anywhere but Ventura."

When I joined the Army in 1962, they asked me what I wanted to do. I said I wanted to be a cook or a truck driver. They sent me to language school to learn Russian. After leaving Monterey, they asked me where I'd like to be deployed. I said Alaska. They sent me to Germany.

If she decides to try, tell her to request "anywhere but Ventura."

When me and the DW joined the military it was before we were married and she joined a few months before me. We left for basic within two weeks of each other. We put six crap hole base in the US on our dream sheets. She was sent to a different crap hole and I got one I requested. A few weeks later we were married and I did the join spouse paperwork. That was many years ago and we are still married. It was also the last time the military gave me what I wanted.

I've known some pretty tough "girls" in the military. If it's a local desk type job you/she are looking for, then I wouldn't go the military route.
I just can't hold back anymore. My retired-military spouse and my NROTC daughter say it's OK for me to post this:

Attachments

• Female seeking male.jpg
    Female seeking male.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 7

Watch the movie "Private Benjamin". You will see why everyone finds your inquiry so amusing.

Wasn't joking, not sure why this isn't being taken as a serious Q.
Really? Let me highlight the wrong bits for you in bold:
Anyways, if you don't really have any control over where you are sent or stay then it doesn't make it an option for me.
You are referring to your girlfriend as if she's some kind of underperforming asset, or a rapidly-depreciating truck which you might want to rent out to help people move house with. She's your girlfriend, not your chattel.

Now...that's my kinda gal! Ummm...don't mention that to the missus lol!
My daughter's heard this a million times already but I'll say it once again: I think military chicks are hot. Especially nuclear-trained submariner military chicks.

Although when I see her wearing her Navy khakis, she looks so much like her mother that it freaks me out a little.

Just break up with her. You must really hate her to try conning into joining the military to fulfill some strange fantasy.........:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom