Join Early Retirement Today

Any opportunities in the military for my GF?
Old 11-03-2010, 01:29 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Any opportunities in the military for my GF?

I'm trying to get my GF into a job of some type and doing stuff because I'm tired of her sitting at home every day.
Are there any opportunities in the military (any group) for a petite 5ft'3 110lbs type of girl that would keep her local to Los Angeles (more like Woodland Hills area - so maybe Ventura'ish)?

Just reaching out for ideas and suggestions.
Fantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2010, 03:49 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasm View Post
I'm trying to get my GF into a job of some type and doing stuff because I'm tired of her sitting at home every day.
Are there any opportunities in the military (any group) for a petite 5ft'3 110lbs type of girl that would keep her local to Los Angeles (more like Woodland Hills area - so maybe Ventura'ish)?

It's been over thirty years for me so if things haven't changed, then they send you wherever they need you.
keegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:05 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I suspect that things would go much better if she was the one weary of her "sitting at home." Be careful what you wish for.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:08 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sure, they'll let her stay right there, just have her go on down & sign up....

On a more serious note, she could look into the Guard or Reserves, which would let her keep living where she is, and only serve one weekend a month, and a couple of weeks per year....unless she's ordered to deploy overseas for awhile, that is. I'm not too sure the military is the way to go in this case, if it's just to get her out of the house. Keep the Guard & Reserve thing in mind, though. Just don't make the mistake of thinking it's just a weekend fun trip, though. There's a lot involved.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:40 AM   #5

When I was a Reservist, it was not uncommon for my co-workers to live entirely off their reserve pay. They would do extra days and TDY's as much as possible. IIRC we were limited to 180 days of extras and the rest had to come from deployments or training. The guys would have orders cut for five days per week, so the 180 days actually lasted nine months instead of six.

I would have orders cut for my days off. I drove 2.5 hours to get to my base. My total expense was about $55 for gas, recreational drinks, and food (it was about 15 years ago). My pay for the two days, including per diem and travel, was equal to about a week and a half's pay from my regular job.

If it is not something she wants to do, don't force her. If she does relent she will hate it and blame you.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:44 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Um, are you out of your mind? Or just eager to be rid of her?

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:28 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I've drafted several different replies to this post, but I'm just going to quit while I'm behind...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:13 AM   #8

Military? Just stay local? You can forget about it. These days, the Reserves and National Guard are deployed just as much as the full-time active component.

There are several niche specialties which guarantee this not to happen, depending on the person's skills. Better yet, do you have a volunteer fire department near you?
HawkeyeNFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 06:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I've drafted several different replies to this post, but I'm just going to quit while I'm behind...
Darn, I was awaiting your reply!!! I was also waiting to see if he was just joking.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 07:26 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
Darn, I was awaiting your reply!!! I was also waiting to see if he was just joking.
It's like shooting fish in a barrel with a .50 cal MG...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:09 PM   #11
gone traveling

Quote:
I've drafted...
Yeah - I was drafted, also ...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 01:45 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
Wasn't joking, not sure why this isn't being taken as a serious Q.
Anyways, if you don't really have any control over where you are sent or stay then it doesn't make it an option for me.

She's too much of a girl to do anything hardcore in the military, I was thinking some local desk job, if she could even make it through boot camp
Fantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 01:54 PM   #13

Quote:
She's too much of a girl to do anything hardcore in the military, I was thinking some local desk job, if she could even make it through boot camp
I've known some pretty tough "girls" in the military. If it's a local desk type job you/she are looking for, then I wouldn't go the military route.

Old 11-08-2010, 03:57 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

When I joined the Army in 1962, they asked me what I wanted to do. I said I wanted to be a cook or a truck driver. They sent me to language school to learn Russian. After leaving Monterey, they asked me where I'd like to be deployed. I said Alaska. They sent me to Germany.

If she decides to try, tell her to request "anywhere but Ventura."
Elderdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 04:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elderdude View Post
When I joined the Army in 1962, they asked me what I wanted to do. I said I wanted to be a cook or a truck driver. They sent me to language school to learn Russian. After leaving Monterey, they asked me where I'd like to be deployed. I said Alaska. They sent me to Germany.

If she decides to try, tell her to request "anywhere but Ventura."
When me and the DW joined the military it was before we were married and she joined a few months before me. We left for basic within two weeks of each other. We put six crap hole base in the US on our dream sheets. She was sent to a different crap hole and I got one I requested. A few weeks later we were married and I did the join spouse paperwork. That was many years ago and we are still married. It was also the last time the military gave me what I wanted.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:10 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
I've known some pretty tough "girls" in the military. If it's a local desk type job you/she are looking for, then I wouldn't go the military route.
I just can't hold back anymore. My retired-military spouse and my NROTC daughter say it's OK for me to post this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Female seeking male.jpg (31.1 KB, 6 views)
Old 11-08-2010, 05:15 PM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

The picture may be worth 1,000 words, but the 50 or so under the photo are definitely of high value.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:18 PM   #18

Quote:

Watch the movie "Private Benjamin". You will see why everyone finds your inquiry so amusing.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:20 PM   #19

Quote:
Wasn't joking, not sure why this isn't being taken as a serious Q.
Really? Let me highlight the wrong bits for you in bold:
Quote:
Quote:
Anyways, if you don't really have any control over where you are sent or stay then it doesn't make it an option for me.
You are referring to your girlfriend as if she's some kind of underperforming asset, or a rapidly-depreciating truck which you might want to rent out to help people move house with. She's your girlfriend, not your chattel.
BigNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:53 PM   #20

Quote:
I just can't hold back anymore. My retired-military spouse and my NROTC daughter say it's OK for me to post this:

Now...that's my kinda gal! Ummm...don't mention that to the missus lol!