Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-26-2014, 08:11 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I started collecting beer cans for while. I would buy them full, in 6, 12 and 24 packs. Occasionally I would even get a 30 pack of them.

It was a chore to get them emptied, and took many evenings around the kitchen table and campfire to get them all drained.

In the end, I had a bunch of the emptied beer cans. They definitely had some value. They sold for .40 a pound, which I thought was a pretty decent return.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2014, 08:16 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Thinking about this, when we moved last November to a smaller place, we found a large box in the attic labeled "Grandmother's Sslt and Pepper Shaker Collection". Neither DW or I have any idea how this box got in our possession. We didn't open it and just stuck it in our new attic. Maybe a surprise for the kids someday when they clean the place out.

What seems to be holding value these days are classic muscle cars from the 1960's and 1970's. Saw some Chrysler corp oration Hemi's from the 60's go for crazy money on the Mecum auction sites
Old 10-26-2014, 08:25 AM   #23

With rare exception I see most collections as more of an albatross to a uncomplicated life.

After my Dad died, we had loads of things to dispose of that he had collected. I think he went to sales for something to do after my mother died. Cellar was full of Jim Beam bottles, much Franklin Mint in closets, much Asian "antique" decorative items and rugs purchased in late 70's from traveling auctions held in hotels. Also collected were coins, pocket watches, campaign buttons, fountain pens, fishing lures, etc. The bottles, FM and Asian "art" are long gone but I plan to tackle the pocket watches (antique, mostly American) next. I am not interested in trying to eBay them. I will only keep the gold watch given to a grandfather upon his retirement from the steel mill.

I do have my mother's sterling silver Gorham Chantilly pattern table ware given to me by Dad before he died, but I don't use it. Will maybe give to my niece (only granddaughter) one day if she would like it. My father split his coin collection between my sister and myself before he died so my small collection (added to by my husband) will go to my son.

I used to collect American pottery items if I could pick up things for a dollar or two but have long given that up. I also sold a childhood doll collection (just kept a couple very sweet antique babies I could not part with).
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 08:43 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think original JM Marlin rifles that are pre-safety are an obvious buy.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 08:56 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

We went to an estate sale yesterday with a lot of art work no one wanted. I asked about a painting and the estate rep would go to $100 on a painting by a name artist with works selling for thousands in Monterrey art galleries. People were buying the more useful stuff. Like someone bought a 65 inch screen TV for $350. It was so big my husband had to help them carry it down the stairs and they rented a moving van to take it home. I don't know TV prices but the people who bought the TV said the same model goes for $4,500 in stores.

There was also a huge table full of signed glassworks. That stuff just doesn't wear out and with Etsy, Overstock and eBay there is a lot of it around to buy. Maybe there is money to be had in art and glassworks if you are an expert and know what you are doing. Or if you can buy artwork at estates sales for rock bottom prices. But I see a lot of art and collectibles from my estate sale shopping that is leftover at the end of the sales. I asked one company what they were going to do with it all, and the rep told me dealers would come in and buy up everything. So I suspect a lot of it will end up back in high rent art galleries at 10 times what the dealers paid.
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 09:32 AM   #26

My folks had some mid-century furniture that turned out to have some value. Upon their passing we sold it to a re-seller at a good price. Obviously, the re-seller was planning to sell it at a higher price. My mother would not have parted with it but we never discussed it. It turned out to provide good service as furniture for 50 years and still have good value.
savory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 09:49 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
What seems to be holding value these days are classic muscle cars from the 1960's and 1970's. Saw some Chrysler corp oration Hemi's from the 60's go for crazy money on the Mecum auction sites
In my experience to get crazy money out of these cars, you need to put crazy money in them. I done a few of them and while I got back my "cash" investment, I didn't get anything (in $$) for my time investment. Of course I had fun working on them (usually) so I guess that's worth something.

After reading some of these post, I think I'll stick with rare coins. I've spent as much on some rare coins that I've spent on cars and have seen a nice appreciation on many of them. They are very easy to buy and sell at coin shows, easy to store in a bank safety deposit box, fun to collect, they don't need routine maintenance and there's no "sales tax" in Texas on bullion and numismatic coins.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 12:01 PM   #28

I know a guy who collects very, VERY high end cars (multiple million dollar vehicles), and at that end of the market there is never a shortage of either buyers or sellers.

For myself, I did well strictly by accident on a collectible.
Many years ago, I was at a charity auction and bought a painting donated by a well known artist. It was the most expensive item there, and I got it for a couple hundred bucks.

I had it framed at a gallery, which cost me another hundred or so, and enjoyed it for several decades. Then I just got tired of it and decided to let someone else enjoy it for a while. Sold it at auction for about 30 times what it cost me!
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 12:14 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Fired, you reminded me of another onerous "collectible"...formal china, crystal, and flatware. My own wedding stuff is collecting dust, and Mom asked me to take hers as well. I have a friend who is stuck with four sets from her parents and grandparents. Unused, but hard to just take to Goodwill because of the family connection. She's moved three times and had to carry boxes and boxes of these items. At least I've technically got the room to store this stuff, but I don't see too many formal gatherings in my future entertaining plans to use it.

I doubt any of it, except the sterling flatware, has any resale value. And the Millennials I know don't even register for formal china any more. They might request Fiestaware or some other durable every day china, but long gone are the days of going to the department store for $50 stemware as a wedding gift, at least in my circle.
Sarah, we've just added my Mom's china collection to our collection of collections. I haven't done any research on it yet, but a friend of mine told me you could actually do OK selling it piece by piece on eBay. There are (supposedly) people looking to fill collections. Of course, then you end up with a partial collection yourself.

Of all the things DW has collected/bought for her own enjoyment, all the jewelry (mostly QVC) might be the best return items if we were to resell it. The stones may be CZ or semiprecious, but the gold is real and anywhere from 10 - 24 carat. Most of it was bought in the 70s and 80s, so the price of the gold has gone up quite a bit.

I guess if you accumulate enough stuff, something might show a gain at some point.
Old 10-26-2014, 12:26 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

I've never been much into collectibles. Never got the idea of Beanie Babies or Precious Moments figurines.

The only thing that I went after was USSR stuff after they opened up. It's kinda neat to look at. Purchased a czar bond and note for less than $100. (it was illegal in USSR to possess anything from pre-revolution days).

When mom passed I got the French china and some other things from when the parents lived in France. Haven't decided yet what to do with those things.
pjm-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 12:44 PM   #31

I also had DHs family china. Not my taste and we used it maybe twice in 25+ years. I was so glad when a niece said she'd love to have it. It was worth the cost of buying boxes and dish pack supplies from UHaul to get the stuff to her. Now I need someone to adopt my teacup collection.

When I was a kid I had a small collection of old currency like silver certificates and $2 bills. I was a big saver so I also had a "collection" of $5 bills, the current kind.

Now that I'm a middle aged adult I collect $20's. They don't take up a lot of space, they are accepted everywhere and that Andrew Jackson guy is really very handsome.
Old 10-26-2014, 01:01 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
Now that I'm a middle aged adult I collect $20's. They don't take up a lot of space, they are accepted everywhere and that Andrew Jackson guy is really very handsome.
I could not begin to tell you if this guy is handsome or not but I like the looks of the "$10,000 bills" that Salmon Chase was on for public circulation until the late 1940's. (I actually saw one once about 10 years ago)
Old 10-26-2014, 01:18 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Sarah, we've just added my Mom's china collection to our collection of collections. I haven't done any research on it yet, but a friend of mine told me you could actually do OK selling it piece by piece on eBay. There are (supposedly) people looking to fill collections. Of course, then you end up with a partial collection yourself.
If you just want to simplify the process, I can recommend Replacements, Ltd. to get a quote on selling as much or as little as you want.

Got rid of my mom's china through them at what I think was a fair price. Saved on shipping by putting it in my car and taking it there on one of my trips a couple of years ago (they are located in North Carolina).
Old 10-26-2014, 03:19 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
If you just want to simplify the process, I can recommend Replacements, Ltd. to get a quote on selling as much or as little as you want.

Got rid of my mom's china through them at what I think was a fair price. Saved on shipping by putting it in my car and taking it there on one of my trips a couple of years ago (they are located in North Carolina).
Cool. I'll look into it. It doesn't say anything on the website about buying, but I'll contact them at some point and see what they say. Thanks.
Old 10-26-2014, 03:23 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
It doesn't say anything on the website about buying, but I'll contact them at some point and see what they say. Thanks.
I think it used to be more prominent, but here's the info:
Replacements, Ltd. buys china, crystal, flatware or collectibles.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:12 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
I could not begin to tell you if this guy is handsome or not but I like the looks of the "$10,000 bills" that Salmon Case was on for public circulation until the late 1940's. (I actually saw one once about 10 years ago)
Colorado Springs has the museum of the American Numismatic Society. It isn't a huge building, but it has all, freaking kinds of interesting, rare coins, currency and related items. They have the high denomination bills, all kinds of weird stuff (early US proof coins that listed the gold content in terms of pounds, marks, etc.), and even obscure stuff like a collection of hobo nickels. Worth a visit.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 05:19 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Colorado Springs has the museum of the American Numismatic Society. It isn't a huge building, but it has all, freaking kinds of interesting, rare coins, currency and related items. They have the high denomination bills, all kinds of weird stuff (early US proof coins that listed the gold content in terms of pounds, marks, etc.), and even obscure stuff like a collection of hobo nickels. Worth a visit.
I didn't know that. I'll plan to stop by there next time I'm up that way.

Thanks.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:49 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Braumeister, how funny that you bring them up...I was talking with a friend tonight and he said he has gone up to Replacements a couple of times to sell stuff he picks up at Goodwill. And Harley, it is on your way south kinda, so might be worth your while.
I might take them a few pieces of extra sterling I have to see if they might buy it.
Very cool that you beat me to the story.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 08:45 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

A couple more examples: my parents got Bing & Grondhal commemorative Christmas plates every year from a corporate connection in the 1970s. Last I checked I think they were going for $9.99 on e-Bay.

In a similar discussion on collectibles on another board I mentioned that I had about a dozen Hallmark mini- Christmas ornaments that I never used, costing $7 or $8 each. Someone posted that she and her daughter LOVED them. I PM'd her and sent the to her for free. I was happy someone would enjoy them.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 08:56 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm - Katrina took care of my collectibles. Mostly Mardis and Space Program Posters, Patches, medallions, etc.

Remarried last year - we are in the 'un' phase decollecting 'stuff' to her relatives, friends and ultimately Good Will and the like.

Heh heh heh - gonna take awhile.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote