Join Early Retirement Today
Old 04-10-2012, 01:36 PM   #21
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
One of DW's colleagues commutes to CA from NJ every week.
I saw this with execs working in the NY area back when I worked. It was so common to be transferred to another location they were reluctant to move (sell then buy) so they just remained where they were and commuted. As I was leaving the company opened a "Latin America HQ" in South Florida, and a bunch of people did move. The office was closed 4 years later and a few were given the option to move to Brazil. The others were invited to join the ranks of the early retired.

MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2012, 02:17 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I commuted 500 miles for 1 1/2 years (lived in Caracas and worked in Puerto Ordaz). Flew out monday mornings (6:00 AM Aeropostal) and returned friday afternoons (4:45PM Avensa). I took that same Monday Aeropostal flight more than 60 times, and missed it only twice. One of the two times I was late and missed it, it was hijacked to Cuba...
I too did this for 11 months, but was 2200 miles each way each week to Toluca, Mexico. In Sunday night out Friday night. The nightmare was the drive from Mexico City to Toluca. It took 1.5-3 hours depending on Traffic. Always a crapshoot on what time I had to leave to make the airport on time. Always had a bullet proof car. Paco, my driver, liked to listen to "Azul Ochenta y Nueve." I still have that announcer's voice in my head. Never forget that.

I don't like Mexico and don't want to go back.

FIREd at 46, 8/31/11
REattempt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:36 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Not sure if this counts as a 'commute':
For over two years, I would fly to China (yes, China) spend 8-10 days and then fly back to Boston for 4-5 days. Then go back. Why not stay there? Had other business in the US that required F2F.

Amassed 4 millions air miles though!
One of my golfing buddies went from St. Louis to Australia. The company he worked for provided a company plane.
dm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:20 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by Htown Harry View Post
Super Commuters Take the Morning Plane - Businessweek
Mainly, though, I'm curious about any experiences relocating to live in a retirement location way out in supercommuter territory while working through the "one more year" syndrome on the glide path to an ER date.
A friend of mine is racking up the helicopter flight hours shuttling a surgeon to his hospital every morning & evening.

Each weekday morning she drives to the airport. She flies to Molokai, picks him up at his backyard helo pad, and flies him to the Honolulu hospital. That evening she does the reverse.

The surgeon hired my friend because he's feeling too old to be able to fly his helicopter on his own.

But I don't think this example counts because that surgeon will never retire...

The book written on, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:59 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
I have a friend who commutes from Kent Island Md to Frederick Md every day by plane. He flies himself, lives relatively near a small airport and has his cbinet making shop right by the other airport. That's about 75 miles each way.

When I was down in Orlando earlier this year going through the time share sales pitch required to get the cheap stay in a nice place the sales guy was telling me that one of the neighbors is a surgeon who flies his float plane to Houston and back every day. Anecdotal, and from a suspect source. But if so that would be about 650 miles each way per day. Hmmm... sounds unlikely. But who knows?
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement." - Will Rogers
DW and I - FIREd at 50 (7/06), living off assets
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:29 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.
Originally Posted by BLS53 View Post
This is not uncommon in rural areas where the destination city doesn't have too much suburban sprawl, and there's an interstate through the rural area. I'm 2 hours from St. Louis, and I know a few in town who do this. Sitting on cruise control for 2 hours, is different than driving in stop in go traffic.

When the cost of gas exceeds the difference in home prices, it stops making sense. Some folks just have an emotional attachment to their childhood town, and won't move under any circumstances.
I have quite a few family members and a few friends that did this for years: Drove 2ish hours into St. Louis every day to work construction or at a car factory then 2ish hours back home every evening. Some for 20 years. Not so many any more with gas prices rising, factories closing and new construction jobs hard to find.

I used to wonder how they did it; but, other than the commute from my bed to my home office on those rare days that I am not traveling, I have not actually w*rked in my home state in over five years. Probably 30% of the time not even in the USA. This year I am both a 1K flier with United and a Platinum flier with American. Just one more year/dollar/something.
If there's one thing in my life that's missing; It's the time I spend alone
Sailing on the cool and bright clear waters; There's lots of those friendly people
Showin me ways to go; And I never want to lose your inspiration
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:42 PM   #27
I've sorta the super-commute thing twice for about 6 months at a time.

The last time was over 20 years ago thank goodness. Every Monday I'd fly from Houston to Baton Rouge on the red-eye flight, working that afternoon, then long days through Friday afternoon when I'd fly home.

I hated it.
Retired in Jan, 2010 at 55
Now it's adventure before dementia
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:49 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets
I still do the 700 mi round trip from Louisiana to Houston every week, but not sure if I fall into the category of "supercommuters", as I'm drive to Houston on Mondays and drive home on Thursdays, so my daily average is only 175 miles. (My daily Houston commute is ~3 blocks). As another poster stated, there is a HUGE difference between driving in downtown, stop-and-go traffic and driving in the "put-it-on-cruise-control-and-solve-the-problems-of-the-world" mode. For the record, the stretch between Laffayette, La and Lake Charles, La is straight as an arrow, mainly through rice fields, and is the most dangerous strech for me due to abject boredom.

Funny how time slips away - thought I'd be doing this job for a year, and Monday was my 4 year anniversary.
EllisWyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:15 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets
Commuting is very common in the airline industy. I commuted 1200 miles 3 times a month for 24 years. The only way I will get on an airplane now is with a gun pointed at my head.
check6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:10 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets
I use to be a super non-commuter when I was single and saving up. I had a job for a few years where I would be regionally relocated every six months or so within a fairly small area. If I were to commute it would only have been 10-30 miles depending on where I was moved. But instead I would pack up all my stuff (pretty much clothes, laptop, desk, bed and minimum kitchenware) and get a new apartment within a mile or so of wherever they moved me.

I just hate rush hour that much.
glippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:16 AM   #31
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Wow. Incredible.
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Amassed 4 millions air miles though!

Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote