Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-06-2016, 03:56 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The tempurpedic is probably too hot for New Orleans, although they do sell them here.

The high price is very off-putting to me and I find my conventional mattress to be perfectly comfortable. I don't have any sleep problems.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2016, 05:30 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We've had a Tempurpedic for about 8 years. It does hold heat and is firmer in a cold room at 65 degrees or colder.
But when we built this house we bought an Iserta memory foam mattress ($800) that we switched to and find it a bit more comfortable and doesn't retain heat. And it also doesn't change firmness with colder temps.
Old 08-06-2016, 05:42 PM   #23

I wonder what Chiropractors and Orthopedic Drs. would recommend ??
Old 08-06-2016, 06:01 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
I wonder what Chiropractors and Orthopedic Drs. would recommend ??
Something that paid them a commission whenever one of their patients purchased what they recommended.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:45 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

We just bought a memory foam type mattress from Amazon, made by Zinio called Sleep Master. King size around $300 w tax. Free shipping and it came rolled up in a big box.

It is a nice mattress, plenty comfortable, and not hot. Takes some getting used to, after a regular style mattress, but we like it so far.

I don't spend a lot of money of things like that, ever, so wouldn't have considered the pricier stuff.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 10:48 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

We bought a 100% natural latex mattress from SleepEZ.com last fall for around $1,200 for a customizable queen. There are 3 to 4 different layers of varying firmness that you can move around to get the right firmness for both you & your bedmate separately. The natural latex does not get warm like the foam mattresses can. SleepEZ also has a good return & exchange policy, and sells organic mattresses for just a couple hundred dollars more i think.
Dreaming of Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 07:28 AM   #27

We have one and love it.

Very comfortable. It's held up well - better than a cheaper foam type mattress we had previously.

Two best things about it: (1) no movement - you can get up and not wake up your spouse. (2) I notice I get sore shoulders when I stay in hotels on conventional mattresses - never at home.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 07:49 AM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
We have a good friend with a high-end Temper in his basement level guest suite and stay there quite often when visiting our DGC. I think they warm-up during the night, and it's easy to get too hot.
+1, I am a "hot" sleeper, when I have slept on one of these mattresses, I tend not to move much and often wake up in the middle of the night overheated.
ChiliPepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 08:08 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I bought a Sleep Innovations mattress from Amazon. I think Costco sells them as Novaform. Either place is much, much less expensive than a Tempurpedic. I got the kind with a 2 inch gel layer which isn't supposed to be as hot. I can't compare to such a mattress without that gel layer, but it feels no warmer than my old mattress, a 20 year old pillow top. I also don't think I'm getting that much better sleep on it. No regrets, but no magic.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 08:53 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
We just bought a memory foam type mattress from Amazon, made by Zinio called Sleep Master. King size around $300 w tax. Free shipping and it came rolled up in a big box.

It is a nice mattress, plenty comfortable, and not hot. Takes some getting used to, after a regular style mattress, but we like it so far.

I don't spend a lot of money of things like that, ever, so wouldn't have considered the pricier stuff.
+1

I have bought 5 or 6 of these (Best Price Mattress and Sleep Master) from Amazon in the last 2-3 years - most comfortable mattresses I've ever slept on and cheap enough ($200 to $300) to use short term when in a rental for only a few months. I would either give away or sell when I left the rentals. I have tried these of various thickness (6", 8", 10") but for me the 8" is just right. Now have a condo with these in each bedroom.
Lakedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 09:30 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Thanks, I sent a link to that mattress to F. He has been looking for an inexpensive, comfortable mattress that isn't hot.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 09:56 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Me either. There is a local mattress manufacturer that sells direct to individual customers. I dropped by just for the heck of it and got to see the process in action. They had several memory foam type mattresses to choose from. I bought 11" full size one for a guest bedroom. They even delivered it for free. Paid around $300 so not the cheapest for the size, but it's really nice. I'll probably replace my queen size bed before long and will get the same type bed.
Old 08-09-2016, 10:55 AM   #33

Dawg52, which manufacturer is that?
Old 08-09-2016, 11:40 AM   #34

I have a queen size Tempur-pedic that is about 10 years old. When I bought mine, the firmness of their mattresses decreased as you increased the size with a king size being the softest. I am mostly happy with it, but you do sink into them as you sleep, so when you roll over or get out of bed, you have to push yourself up a little.

This effect was so pronounced on the king size that a coworker's pregnant wife was not able to sleep on, or rather in, their Tempur-pedic. Said coworker was not able to return or exchange it (local store.) I believe the store figured that mattress purchases are rare events so no reason to worry about repeat business.

If I were shopping today, I'd try a regular mattress with a foam topper. If I went for a full foam mattress, I would not pay the price premium for a TP again.
NoiseBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 11:52 AM   #35
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Note that Consumer Reports February rating of 22 memory foam mattresses saw the Tempurpedic Cloud Supreme come in dead last. #1 was the Novaform 14" Serafina Pearl Gel which is 1/3 the price of the Tempurpedic.
Old 08-09-2016, 12:30 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

We just bought a Luxi mattress. It arrived just 10 minutes ago, so I can't report on it yet but it got good reviews.
Slow But Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 12:56 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow But Steady View Post
... It arrived just 10 minutes ago, so I can't report on it ...........
What the heck are you waiting for? We need to know.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 01:50 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by folivier View Post
Dawg52, which manufacturer is that?
Meridian Mattress. Take a look at the outside of the plant. Looks like it was built in the 1800's. May have been.....the business was started in 1892. The guy in the video delivered it to my house. It's a fourth generation family owned business.

Old 08-09-2016, 05:35 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Interesting thread! Are those of you that like the mattresses back sleepers or side sleepers? Is there any impact on snoring? The comment on ease of turning over has me a little concerned. I have back issues and would not want the bed to make them worse by making it harder to toss and turn.
CountryGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 06:30 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGal View Post
Interesting thread! Are those of you that like the mattresses back sleepers or side sleepers? Is there any impact on snoring? The comment on ease of turning over has me a little concerned. I have back issues and would not want the bed to make them worse by making it harder to toss and turn.

I am a 60% side sleeper, 30% back sleeper, 10% stomach sleeper...now. With a traditional mattress I was a 90% side sleeper but I am much more comfortable sleeping on my back with foam mattresses. I am so comfortable that I rarely toss and turn. It cradles you much like a nylon hammock does.

I never snored very much but apparently it's completely gone now. I really can't say enough good things about foam mattresses.
FI by 2024 is offline   Reply With Quote