Join Early Retirement Today

Any This American Life Fans out there?
Old 03-29-2008, 04:15 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Any This American Life Fans out there?

I particularly enjoyed this recent piece on public radio's This American Life concerning millionaire lottery winners. It seems that once winning a million and realizing it only means $50K for 20 years, less after taxes, the winners don't feel like millionaires, so there was a business to separate them from the annuity for cash up front. Most lotteries currently offer a cash now alternative.

Act Two. Show Me the Annuity.
This American Life producer Alex Blumberg talks with Ed Ugel, who had a very unusual dream job: he bought jackpots from lottery winners. When you win the lottery, your prize is often paid out in yearly installments. And Ed would offer winners a lump sum in exchange for their yearly checks. He's talked with thousands of lottery winners, and the vast majority, he says, wish they'd never won. Ed is writing a book about his years in the "lump sum industry" called Money for Nothing: One Man's Journey through the Dark Side of Lottery Millions. It comes out in September 2007.

Free download:
This American Life
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2008, 04:51 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Love that show -- I listen whenever I can and I heard the one on lotteries.

A lot of what the lottery buyer did seemed a little... not nice, I guess. Getting people to trust him so they would take less of a lump sum, for example.

But on the other hand, if they really NEEDED the money and couldn't get the lump sum from the lottery itself, then I'm not sure it was unethical. The man who needed to pay for his son's attorney, for example, couldn't have got the money any other way.

I think the fact that so many take the lump sum now that lotteries are offering one indicates that he was doing some kind of service...

As far a winning the lottery and not being happy -- I can believe that. I'd just like a chance to PROVE it myself! ;-D
Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote