Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Any triathletes out there?
Old 07-12-2005, 01:03 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl
I would love to try a tri - but I'm a lousy swimmer.
My wife had you beat. Three months before her first triathlon she couldn't swim AT ALL! But she is one determined girl, took lessons and completed the half mile open water swim portion with no problems. She'd be the first to encourage you to give it a try and get lessons from an instructor. Now she loves swimming and it's just about her strongest discipline.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2005, 02:29 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My version of a tri is drinking a cold beer, eating popcorn and watching tv all at the same time.* 8)

Old 07-12-2005, 05:29 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin_Explorer
My wife had you beat.* Three months before her first triathlon she couldn't swim AT ALL!* But she is one determined girl, took lessons and completed the half mile open water swim portion with no problems.* She'd be the first to encourage you to give it a try and get lessons from an instructor.* Now she loves swimming and it's just about her strongest discipline.
Wow - don't tempt me... really... I had to swim 3 or 4 pool laps to prove I could swim for my scuba certification, but it was not timed, so I CAN swim, I just don't do it very efficiently. I think for now I'll just work on the 1/2 marathon
Old 07-13-2005, 12:43 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

I did an Olympic distance triathlon a few years ago as my first. Was a MOPper on the swim but ended up finishing in the back of the pack overall...I think my time was like 3:14. But I haven't done one since even though I'd like to get back into it...too much of a time commitment at this point and with young kids...I'm interested in the longer distance stuff though, as I have more stubbornness than speed. If you look you can find stories on the web of people who finish decatriathlons, which are 10x the Ironman distance. There's a local relay race I know of that is supposed to be done by teams of 6 or 10 to complete 100 miles or so over a mountain pass; one guy I've noticed has run the thing solo the past three years.

The best website I know of for tri stuff, particularly beginners, is Tri-Newbies Online -- I don't recall the URL offhand. There's also books and trainers and things the more advanced you get.

Congrats, too...

malakito
Old 07-13-2005, 06:27 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Also, lets not forget about the RAAM races..."Race Across AMerica"...solo bikes races from coast to coast, top guys usually finish in about 6 days, riding 20-21 hours per day at least.

I remember one guy I read about as he was training for the race (about 6 weeks before it started) complained that his feet were still numb from the previous years race....

I am an "all or nothing" type of guy too, but I agree these guys are really nuts
Old 07-13-2005, 07:47 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

I saw the Ironman competition in Hawii one year and they were amazing. After they finished the competition a few hung around the pool with us. It wasn't too long before they became bored "just hanging around" and got up to go and do some more running/biking/swimming. I couldn't believe they had an extra energy after all of that.

The other thing that I noticed about some of the women was that they looked so manly. I told my husband that they looked like he/she-s. And the men looked very lean/trim, not bulky at all.

LL
Old 07-13-2005, 08:17 AM   #27

I'm a pathetic swimmer; good floater. I was swimming laps in the gym. They were about 20-30 yards (I guess). Timed myself; took me 2+ mins to do a round trip. The next lane over was a slender young lady who went up and back, time and time again for about an hour or two. She was doing a roundtrip in 48 seconds.

p.s. As to the value of swimming exercise, I have never seen a fat swimmer. Talking about someone who swims every day and really gets with it. Also it's easy on the joints.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 08:37 AM   #28

I swim laps every day. I have chronic back problems so swimming is the only strenuous exercise I can do that doesn't increase my back pain. I generally swim about 80 lengths of a 25 yard pool (about 1 and 1/4 miles). This takes me about 40 minutes. I swim continuously, with flip turns and vary my breathing pattern, swimming some lengths breathing every 4th stroke, some every sixth stoke, etc. I get into a meditative state where my mind turns off and I am focused completely on the flow of water over my body. I have been doing this lap swimming for about 25 years. I used to do a lot of bike riding before my back made me stop. I was never able to run because of my back. I would love to be able to do a triathalon but it's not going to happen.

Grumpy
Old 07-13-2005, 08:46 AM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy
I used to do a lot of bike riding before my back made me stop.
Grumpy,
have you ever tried a recumbent bicycle?
This was a solution for a friend of mine with back problems.
(she actually bought a recumbent tricycle - cool but expensive machine made in Australia http://greenspeed.com.au/solo.htm )
Old 07-13-2005, 09:54 AM   #30

Could be worse, you could be like me:* pathetic swimmer; great sinker.* I can (well could) run a marathon, but would be gasping for air halfway down the length of the pool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43
I'm a pathetic swimmer; good floater.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:14 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Grumpy, that's awesome that you have swimming down so well, I stink at it!

It's true that consistent swimmers are in great, great shape, but it's funny, at tris you see all the tubby guys getting out of the water first(well, a lot sooner than you thought they would), to be passed a few minutes later on the bike. I guess fat floats!

So my friend who lost our little bet and came in a whopping 1 minute 10 seconds behind me is now making all sorts of excuses (cramp! bike problems!) ....whiner!