Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Any vermicomposters here?
Old 10-14-2006, 02:55 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Any vermicomposters here?

No, technically that refers to composting using worms, not composting the worms themselves.

A local entrepreneur is selling vermiculture kits whose earthworms are fed compost. The idea is that you have the stack of containers in your kitchen and dump the scraps right there in a system that maintains itself on a few pounds of food waste a week. We already compost, but this will save us a little storage and eliminate those long walks to the back of the yard. The setup is supposed to be odorless. The "cool" factor, to say nothing of the science-project potential, is pretty high.

I know composting isn't hard-- we've been doing it for a couple of years. But is anyone feeding worms in their kitchen?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Any vermicomposters here?
Old 10-14-2006, 03:28 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I was really interested in doing this until I read the book, "Worms Eat My Garbage," and it suddenly seemed a lot more complicated than I'd thought. The kit might help, though.

Here's the book: http://tinyurl.com/y48gle

Let me know if you want to borrow it.
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 04:42 PM   #3
gone traveling

OK! Yes, I am a worm wrangler. Been doing it for a couple of years, composting for 20+. I got my worm factory, worms and all, free on Craigslist. I have a large raised bed garden that I use the compost, castings and tea. Mine's outside but I keep an inside container to fill for everyother day feedings. I've never noticed an ordor and would be comfortable trying it inside but I'm out with the dog everyday and checking on the garden so not much reason to have it inside.

I pretty much feed it and forget it but could see that I could get competitive if challenged. I would not use any animal waste as I had a maggot infestation when some meat got in by accident. My garden is completely organic and I credit my compost and castings for my abundant yield.
honobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 06:28 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hobnob, do you have any problems with critters? Our urban neighborhood has so many skunks, possums and sometimes rats that I worry keeping this sort of operation outside would attract them.
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 08:53 PM   #5
gone traveling

Sheryl
No problem here. Plenty of wildlife, I'm about a mile from SF Bay. Compost bin is Smith & Hawkins (covered top and bottom) Worm Factory is up on concrete blocks and has cover and I usually place a brick on top.

Oh, and my critter catcher is on patrol, A Jack Russel Terrorist. She's basically on mice and mole duty, but since you should only use vegetable waste I don't think it's that much of an attraction to skunks, coons or rats.
At least not here. The only problem I'll get in the garden is birds going for the tomatoes so I net when they start to ripen. You'll be amazed at how your garbage output is reduced.
honobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 02:10 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob
Sheryl
No problem here. Plenty of wildlife, I'm about a mile from SF Bay. Compost bin is Smith & Hawkins (covered top and bottom) Worm Factory is up on concrete blocks and has cover and I usually place a brick on top.

Oh, and my critter catcher is on patrol, A Jack Russel Terrorist. She's basically on mice and mole duty, but since you should only use vegetable waste I don't think it's that much of an attraction to skunks, coons or rats.
At least not here. The only problem I'll get in the garden is birds going for the tomatoes so I net when they start to ripen. You'll be amazed at how your garbage output is reduced.
DW took her 3 Jack Russells with her when she left, but while they were
here all "varmints" entered their zone at their peril. They would kill
anything smaller than themselves on sight and occasionally tried to kill
each other. Feisty little rascals.

JG
Old 10-15-2006, 08:45 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, Sheryl, I looked at that book too and wasn't encouraged. Perhaps it's overengineered-- I still run into an occasional compost zealot who insists that it can't possibly be done correctly without daily turning, watering, and so forth. But the local worm seller has been doing a lot of seminars & demonstrations so I bet it's been dumbed way down.

Thanks, Bob, I'll have to check our local Craigslist. We apparently can't import worms so things might be a little pricey. (http://www.waikikiworm.com/5wwcanow.html) But our compost pile is supporting a family of mongoose and the occasional cane rat so a sealed container seems like a good deal. No more watering & turning the compost pile, either!

Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob
The only problem I'll get in the garden is birds going for the tomatoes so I net when they start to ripen.
Our tomatoes have been bird-free this year-- I strung an old CD on fishing line to blow in the wind across each row of plants and could actually let the fruit ripen on the vine.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote