Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-15-2015, 12:24 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimsumkid View Post
Based on what you're describing, this would be a violation. You're not allowed to do a right turn on red unless you're in the right curb lane. That's how I understand the rules in my state.

..snip...
Your last sentence says it all, depends on the state or local ordinance. As I understand in this state, that's perfectly legal.

OP you might Google your state laws on right on red. To your question on has anyone beat a ticket, yes a guy I w*rkrd with did. Wasn't a moving violation, but parking around a bus stand/stop. He brought the statute and photos. He had to explain the difference between a bus stand and a bus stop to the judge. Judge complimented him on his research of the law and dismissed the charge.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2015, 01:33 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

One of the best lessons I ever learned was about 30 years ago, I was shopping for a house in exclusive private neighborhood (5-10 mil) and got a ticket for doing a rolling stop, with a police car directly behind me. I went to court to fight it and they told me to just pay the fine as there would be no record of it and no points on my licence. I protested and asked for a meeting with the Judge. The Judge took me into his chambers and asked what I wanted. I said "justice", he laughed and said that is all well and good, then asked how much "Justice" I could afford? I paid the $200 fine and went home.

Old 03-15-2015, 02:24 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Was young buck with my first car ... driving too fast (passing a tractor trailer). Was ticketed.

Showed up for court in a suit (straight from work) and watched lawyers entering a closed door room - one by one. So I reasoned they were negotiating with the DA before court.

So I walk into the room and sit at a large table ... watched 5-6 lawyers explain thier case to the DA (going around the table). My turn came I said "It's a speeding ticket; clocked 15 mph over the limit while passing a truck. Would like to have the ticket reduced or eliminated." DA stumbles thru a stack of folders and says "who's the client?". "I am" WHOLE ROOM starts laughing. A little befuddeled the DA asks "Are you a lawyer?" ... "Nope". WHOLE ROOM laughs again. DA says "I'll see what I can do".

Ticket was dropped via his recommendation.
Old 03-15-2015, 02:33 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

I haven't beaten a ticket, but know someone that has here. The ticket was for speeding on a feeder road in Houston. Shortly after he got the ticket, he started getting lawyer advertisements in the mail, claiming the firm could get your ticket dropped for $50. So he called one and gave them a credit card payment for $50.

The scheme is the law firm represents you and asks for a trial by jury and gets the court appearance delayed. They delay it again for some reason and sooner or later, the case is dropped by the court due to the huge number of jury cases on the books in Houston.

This is something I wouldn't try on a personal basis, but that's just me.
Old 03-15-2015, 03:16 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
The scheme is the law firm represents you and asks for a trial by jury and gets the court appearance delayed. They delay it again for some reason and sooner or later, the case is dropped by the court due to the huge number of jury cases on the books in Houston.
They tried that in MD and it worked for a few months. Then the judges wised up and had a jury standing by in the next courtroom over. "You want a jury trial? Great. It starts in one hour".

It put a stop to that nonsense.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:45 PM   #26

I beat a ticket for speeding in '98 by presenting a federal study outlining the guidelines for accurate use of VASCAR and how the officer was not in compliance. Uniontown PA speed trap.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 03-16-2015, 09:57 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I supposedly ran a red light (2008?). Went to court with an explanation, not disagreeing with the officer but had google satellite photos of the intersection to back up my view point. The ticket was dismissed. I didn't have the best argument, but after sitting in the court room for 2 hours listening to the terrible excuses people gave and even those getting their tickets reduced, I knew I had a decent shot at it.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:08 AM   #28

Beat one ticket when cop didn't show up. Lost one when cop did show up. On 3 other tickets, have gone to court and gotten a deal to pay a large fine (larger than the ticket) to have the ticket not show up on record, thereby avoiding huge car insurance premium hike.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:26 AM   #29

I don't think David Sprecher (Houston) has ever lost a case. All the guys in my car club used him.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:41 AM   #30

Ironic how people are bragging about beating tickets using a variety of technicalities. Some legitimate and others not so much.....but I got jumped on for saying I wouldn't pay income tax if I didn't get a 1099 for an overseas transaction with a non American.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:29 PM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

That is because intentionally not reporting income as you proposed is tax evasion and is clearly a violation... there is no technicality that comes into play. It was black & white.

In these other cases it might be that the speed limit signage doesn't meet the statutory standards or other reasons why a ticket might not be enforceable. Clearly two very different things.

What I find odd is that you can't see the difference.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 02:38 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
What I find odd is that you can't see the difference.
agreed - huge difference
Old 03-17-2015, 03:06 PM   #33

Like I said, some technicalities are legitimate and other aren't. If there really is a lawyer named David Sprecher in Houston who has never lost a case, do you really think each and every time he won with no technicality? Not possible.

Is that really how you want your tax dollars spent? Cops spending their time writing tickets, city prosecutors spending their time prosecuting traffic offenders, and Municipal judges getting paid, while lawyers get people off over and over again on technicalities? If you are speeding, you should take your punishment. Not count on a lawyer to continually reset the case 6 times (if the officer works a different shift he is getting paid overtime 5 times) until one of those times the officer happens to be in another court, or is sick, or doesnt show up for whatever other reason.
Old 03-17-2015, 03:27 PM   #34

he exists and has never lost a case I'm aware of; I'm pretty sure he's lost one or two, who knows call him and ask.

IMO, there is a huge difference between not reporting income and defending yourself against a misdemeanor criminal charge in court.
Old 03-17-2015, 04:01 PM   #35

I believe that he rarely, if ever, loses a case. The point is that all he is doing is manipulating and taking advantage of serious inefficiencies of the Municipal court system. Its costing everyone money.

If the officer made a mistake about it being illegal to turn right, or there's a grey area in some law or some sign was hidden by vegetation, then by all means go to court and have the mistake corrected. But when you know you were speeding and you go to court to "defend yourself" knowing you can get off on a technicality, I would say that's not exactly honorable.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:52 PM   #36

Screw legality. Ask the judge to convert the ticket into a non-moving violation, like littering. The county gets more money and you avoid points. This is a Extremely common strategy that the counties/town love to grant.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:17 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas27 View Post
Screw legality. Ask the judge to convert the ticket into a non-moving violation, like littering. The county gets more money and you avoid points. This is a Extremely common strategy that the counties/town love to grant.

Nothing wrong with that. That's just like a plea bargain that's used all the time in criminal court.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:34 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
Where can you turn right from a non curb lane? Aren't you cutting in front of people in the curb lane possibly causing an accident?
There are a few intersections where I live that have two right turn lanes. The roads they turn onto have two lanes in each direction, so I thought it was understood that whatever lane you're in, you turn onto (if you're in the curb lane, you turn onto the curb lane; next lane over turns into the next lane over)
Old 03-18-2015, 09:51 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
There are a few intersections where I live that have two right turn lanes. The roads they turn onto have two lanes in each direction, so I thought it was understood that whatever lane you're in, you turn onto (if you're in the curb lane, you turn onto the curb lane; next lane over turns into the next lane over)
About 18 years ago when I was a patrol officer, I had just been transferred to a new part of town. I pulled over a car for turning right from the second lane. When I approached the car and told the lady why I pulled her over, she told me that there were two right turn lanes at that intersection. I had never heard of that before but she sounded confident, so I held on to her license and told her I would be right back. I drove back to the intersection and she was correct. Like I said, I had never worked this area before and had never seen two right turn lanes before. I drove back to her, apologized for her inconvenience and sent her on her way.

I had forgotten about that until just now. Unfortunately, a lot of officers are like baseball umpires and don't want to admit they made a mistake which is a bad way to live your life in most situations.
Old 05-24-2015, 08:55 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

I just realized that I had forgotten to return here and update the situation.

One other detail to add to the set-up. My ticket was on a military installation, making it a FEDERAL case. So, I got to appear in front of a Federal Magistrate. When my case was called, I walked up in front of the judge. When the prosecutor spoke, it was mentioned that the citing officer had been consulted and it was decided that I had been mischarged, and that the government was dismissing my case!