Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-20-2013, 03:56 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I
We had two long haired dogs, and went through a Hoover, Eureka and Oreck each in less than a year. Even cleaning the rollers of hair on the Oreck every time we used it, it was toast in less than a year. Then we bought a Dyson Animal (we'd resisted because it was $500), but it's still going as strong as ever more than 5 years later. Works great! So even though they may be overpriced, we've definitely gotten our money's worth out of the Dyson already, so you get what you pay for (more often than not).
+1

We have the Dyson Animal too - lots of carpets and upholstery + 2 cats. For carpets, it is the best vacuum cleaner we have ever owned (we've had it for 4+ years with no trouble whatsoever). It is not so good for bare floors though IMO.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2013, 04:06 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Santa brought my daughter the Dyson rollerball and she loves it. It is a NYC apt and it is exactly what she wanted and it works great.
Cessna5354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:06 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Our Oreck is still going strong 10 years later. We have two cats, and take it in for a tune- up every three years.

SIS
ShortInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:19 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

We're looking at an Oreck Magnesium, a 7-8 lb light vacuum. This would replace the 30-odd lb Hoover that DW doesn't want me lugging up and down the stairs any more when I vacuum. Costco has a pretty reasonable price on it right now compared to what Oreck usually wants.

I just wonder about maintenance on the thing. It looks like parts aren't available to the public, and all service/repairs have to be done through a factory authorized suck broom dealer.
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:56 AM   #25

We've always bought reconditioned Kirbys. New ones are obscenely expensive, but the reconditioned used ones are, in our opinions, a bargain. We're on our second in 37 years. Both my mother's and grandmother's are still in service with other family members -- they're TANKS. Never had a problem getting supplies, parts, or service.

They can be on the heavy/bulky side, but the one we have currently has a power assisted drive, so it's no problem for us (and we both have issues in that regard).

Tyro
Old 01-21-2013, 06:39 AM   #26
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
We now have a Miele. By far the best vacuum cleaner we have ever had.
+1 our Miele is almost 20 years old and still performs flawlessly.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:43 AM   #27

I'll second the reviews on the Oreck. DW likes it because it's lightweight but I am not impressed with the performance.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:15 AM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My mother/grandmother both swore by kirby. I remember seeing one that was at least from the 50's running.

It's been about 5 years or more since I bought one, but ended up with a Eureka Boss. It had good reviews for price/performance. something like this...

Eureka Boss SmartVac 4870MZ Review
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:38 AM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disappointed View Post
The last thread I found was from 2011.

So many choices, I have no preference, just for it to work well, not too heavy. Reading the reviews seem to confuse me more. Looking at Oreck vs Dyson. Costco has Dyson DC40 Animal for $399.

We currently use Hoover Wind Tunnel but having difficult time finding bags? What are you using?

W
I got one of those smaller Miele canister types, because I really can't stand the larger upright vacuums. I think the uprights are just too big for me.

I got a Miele smaller canister one and it's great. It's not heavy. It's also rather quiet for a vacuum cleaner.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:04 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a miele also. Phenomenal vacuum. Replaces an Oreck which was burning through belts even after being brought to the repair center.

The miele is super quiet also.
ikonomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:24 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

We always had electrolux. Have one that is around 40 years old for the downstairs. And one about 5 years old for upstairs.

Is that decadent or what?
Old 01-21-2013, 02:40 PM   #32

I like my Oreck...lightweight, cleans well. I prefer a vacuum with disposable paper bags, too. I only have one vacuum so lightweight is great as I must carry it upstairs to use in the bedrooms.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:16 PM   #33

I had an Interstate compact vacuum (teardrop shaped thing) that I bought used about 35 years ago. I gave up on it when the motor seized up and started smoking about 3 years ago. Now have a Dyson ball animal model purchased refurbished from Woot.com for about half the retail price. It does an excellent job.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:55 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

We went over to Costco on Monday and bought that Oreck Magnesium + Ultimate vacuum package.

It completely met my expectations... but I didn't set the bar very high.

The Oreck Magnesium (S/N 020871; Date 12003) managed to vacuum two small area rugs and most of a bedroom before dying. It now shuts down immediately after starting, flashing its dim little LED headlight and not spinning the beater bar. The vacuum has a "Endurolife" (TM) belt "which is designed for long life and doesn't need changing". Now, the way that Oreck makes the belt last is by sensing when the beater bar isn't spinning, and in that case, the machine shuts off the motor and blinks the headlight. In my case, I suspect the belt has broken or come off the shaft at one end. It starts, never moving the beater bar which turns very freely, but drawing a good vacuum for a second before shutting down.

A call to the Oreck Customer Service Hotline reveals that I have a problem which will require investigation by a factory authorized suck broom technician. It'll be in the shop 3-4 days. Extrapolating, if the device is in the shop 3-4 days between each room that I vacuum, I can determine that... well, holding onto the old vacuum was a Good Idea.

Good thing I saved the box. Back to Costco...
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:59 PM   #35
Confused about dryer sheets

The Dyson DC40 is excellent. I have one and highly recommend.
Bluetrekrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:59 PM   #36
Administrator

Dogs at my house w/ off white carpet (sigh....)

A few years ago we got a Riccar. I think it's a commercial model and it's a workhorse. My main complaint about most vacuums is that the plastic bits begin to break off after a time - this one is mostly metal. You know, the way they used to be...

Riccar : Radiance
Old 01-23-2013, 04:05 PM   #37
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
+1 our Miele is almost 20 years old and still performs flawlessly.
+1 our Miele is four years old and still cranking along. (Bought with AMEX points.)

Yes they are expensive but now I can't imagine needing to replace it for a long time.

A year ago we got a Dyson DC35, which has been a very nice complement to the Miele. Great for quick pick-ups in the kitchen, although the battery power only lasts about 12-15 minutes, so keep that limitation in mind.
scooterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:15 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
We're looking at an Oreck Magnesium, a 7-8 lb light vacuum. This would replace the 30-odd lb Hoover that DW doesn't want me lugging up and down the stairs any more when I vacuum. Costco has a pretty reasonable price on it right now compared to what Oreck usually wants.
I've found the problem...

I've had a Dirt Devil (bag-type, heavy as hell...) for 20 years, and it's still ticking. Of course, it doesn't get used much...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:21 PM   #39

My first dyson lasted almost 10 years. It didn't fail in any of the vacuumy ways... I just dropped the bagless cannister part one to many times and it was such that the duct tape repairs weren't going to work on it anymore.

I'm very hard on vacuums.

I bought a new dyson at costco. Loving it - much lighter than the old one, lower profile, and has the swivel ball. What I don't like is that my old attachments don't fit the new wand.

i hate cleaning, but I love using my dyson.
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:31 PM   #40

We have a Dyson DC25 Animal Ball. Bought from eBay, refurbished. It was just under $300, free shipping.

It's been about 6 months now, and we are very satisfied with it.

Easy to use, reasonable weight, and easy to clean the canister. It is also quieter than our former vacuum, a Hoover Savvy.
Coolius is offline   Reply With Quote