Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-26-2013, 03:29 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
Does anyone use a robot vacuum (e.g. Roomba)? I have contemplated getting one of these for a small house with hard floors throughout except possibly an area rug or two. I have one longhaired cat and may add another cat or two in the future. I am thinking a robot might keep the loose hair and scattered litter picked up better, or at least more frequently, than I am likely to!

Note that because it has a belt driving the drive wheels, roomba and oriental rugs with fringe do not agree. Roomba tears the fringe up. Also eventually the battery will die even if it is not used. It was the fringe issue that led to mine just sitting there until the battery died.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2013, 03:56 PM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

We have a couple of Dysons. I'm not sure I've ever seen a high rating for them but I think they are really "clever" in their design. Had our first experience with warranty service a few days ago and was very impressed. Called Dyson and a human who spoke english actually answered. Her first question was whether or not the machine was registered with them. I wasn't sure but she checked, found it wasn't, and registered it immediately. The problem was a broken hose and she said they'd ship one out right away. She said to call them back if I had any questions about how to replace it. It arrived a couple days later and it took about 45 seconds to replace it. Their warranty is 3 years. Not sure if that is typical for vacuums or not.

Old 03-26-2013, 04:50 PM   #63

I use a Hoover Constellation that's almost 60 years old, yes, sixty. Hoover still sells the design, but I would guess its components are not as sturdy as the 1950s version.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:10 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfingDuo View Post
I bought my vacuum 15 plus years ago. I have never had a problem. It picks up dust and dirt every other vacuum leaves behind. I have tested it. No vacuum will beat it ever. It is pricey so be prepared. It cost more than Kirby. It does not use a filter. It uses water.

Rainbow. Rainbow® Cleaning System

I do not work for the company or sell them door to door. I just own one and everytime anyone asks about this I tell them.

I have used and abused this thing for 15 plus years. It has the attachments to do carpet hardwood floors, blinds, refridgerator coils, sofa and chair cushions.

Trust me when I say this. It is amazing. It picks up drywall dust and captures it and keeps on going. When the water is too saturated with let's say dust it will let you know by a violent shacking of the unit. Clear the mess up in the water tub and put new water and you are ready to go.
I have a Rainbow and love it. It picks up everything and as you said traps it in water so it doesn't recirculate dust and animal hair , etc. Have owned them for over 20 years. I'm on my second one now.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:52 PM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I bought two Shark Navigator lift off pros . One for me and one for my daughter. We both love them . The suction is great and so much easier to push then my hoover .
I have one of these too. When I had a hairy dog I used a Sanitaire Commercial, but it is heavy and bulky. I bought this light Shark, with a somewhat narrower head, and it is easy to use, really picks up the dirt, and stores in a little space which is important for me. Instead of a bag it has a little container they call a cup. Even in my small apartment, I empty it a little more than once per room, with weekly cleanings. To minimize getting the dust into the air, I insert the cup into a small kitchen bag, hold the bag closed around my wrist, and shake.

I hope it lasts.

I am also attracted to the Rainbow for allergy benefits, bit I think it is just too big and unhandy and expensive too.

Ha
Old 03-26-2013, 08:59 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I am also attracted to the Rainbow for allergy benefits, bit I think it is just too big and unhandy and expensive too.

Ha
Many of the new vacs have a HEPA rated filter on the output (our older Hoover Wind Tunnel has one). It's just a paper/foam/charcoal pleated thing. You replace it ~ 1/year and it's not expensive.

I have no idea how effective a HEPA filter is versus the water trap in a Rainbow, maybe there are measurements on-line somewhere. While the water trap sounds good, the size of the bubbles and the amount of travel time will dictate the true effectiveness. A relatively big bubble escaping in a fraction of a second will probably escape with most of its dirt also.

edit/add - got curious and found this:

http://www.archives.gov/preservation...revention.html

Quote:
The object should then be vacuumed using a vacuum cleaner which will not exhaust the spores back out into the room. A vacuum fitted with a HEPA filter is recommended; however, the water bath filter vacuum cleaner, such as the Rainbow brand vacuum, that many parks have been using, is acceptable for this purpose.
So they say the Rainbow is 'acceptable', but don't indicate that it is better than a HEPA filter unit.

-ERD50
Old 11-29-2013, 05:07 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

I just ordered a cordless vacuum cleaner from Amazon to replace another model that has seen better days:

Amazon.com - Hoover Linx Cordless Stick Vacuum Cleaner - Household Upright Vacuums

The price is a bit hefty. Hopefully this will last a good long time.
Old 11-29-2013, 05:14 PM   #68
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I just ordered a cordless vacuum cleaner from Amazon to replace another model that has seen better days:

Amazon.com - Hoover Linx Cordless Stick Vacuum Cleaner - Household Upright Vacuums

The price is a bit hefty. Hopefully this will last a good long time.
Just looked at your link, and read a few reviews. That sounds like a terrific vacuum. I love that it is cordless and bagless, that it uses wind tunnel technology, and that apparently despite the battery it is not very heavy.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 06:15 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

I had a Eureka cordless (only about $30) but that got so clogged with cat hair and dust and that when after trying to clean that stuff out of the roller, I had a problem putting the cleaner back, so just decided to splurge and get the Linx. Plus, the ni-cad of the Eureka was having the memory effect thing anyhow, which should not happen with the Linx.
Old 11-29-2013, 07:20 PM   #70

We just got a Roomba and it does a great job of picking up car hair (white cat hair on a dark wood floor is very noticeable). You do have to clean it out but it is really easy to do.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:21 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Here's a youtube review of the Hoover I ordered:

Looks like I'll need to wear ear protectors to block out the noise
Old 12-03-2013, 09:41 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Vacuum cleaner arrived tonight and I put it together. Battery is charging so tomorrow is the first time to see how much junk it picks up
Old 12-04-2013, 04:03 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Hey I tried the vacuum cleaner today.

My first impressions:

Overall, I like it.

Pros:

- The battery lasts a long time (abut 20 minutes)

- The suction is really good

- not too loud

- lightweight (about 8 lbs)

- filter works well and easy empty - dust not flying everywhere

Cons:

- not as lightweight as my old one (only 4 lbs)

- a bit bottom heavy (feels like there should be a handle to grab when picking up)

So far so good. It did pick up cat litter that probably would have missed with the old one.