Join Early Retirement Today

Anybody bought a vacuum cleaner lately?
Old 01-20-2013, 01:16 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Anybody bought a vacuum cleaner lately?

The last thread I found was from 2011.

So many choices, I have no preference, just for it to work well, not too heavy. Reading the reviews seem to confuse me more. Looking at Oreck vs Dyson. Costco has Dyson DC40 Animal for $399.

We currently use Hoover Wind Tunnel but having difficult time finding bags? What are you using?

W

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2013, 01:29 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Consumer Reports currently ranks many of the Kenmore models at or near the top. None of the current machines are built as solidly as ones from decades ago, which in general means they are lighter but are more prone to breakage of the flimsy plastic parts.

Old 01-20-2013, 01:35 PM   #3

Your local library should be able to give you online access to consumer reports. The bagless version of your hoover got very high points.

We just bought a Shark rotator lift-away pro and like it. It had really good online reviews at Amazon.com and bed bath & beyond. The 20% off coupon at BBB helps a great deal on this one.

We stayed away from bag vacuum cleaners for just the reason the OP mentioned. Besides, the bags are expensive.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:35 PM   #4

We love our Dyson ball.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:39 PM   #5

I bought a vacuum from Walmart 5 years ago and it still works like new. I don't remember if it was $60 or $80 but it certainly wasn't $300+. It is bagless which I highly prefer. It has a see-through container so if you empty it before you begin vacuuming then you can see how much it's picking up. If it's not picking anything up then either it's not working or you're vacuuming too often.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:40 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'd narrow the choice down to type first, if you haven't already. For me, no way do I want to use a full sized one again. The weight makes me wish to put off vacuuming as long as possible.

At this time, I own three types but am not totally satisfied with any of them. I use a cordless (Eureka Quickup). I also have a Eureka corded like the cordless but with more power. I also have another Eureka corded (Optima Lightweight Upright) which would be perfect for me, but emptying the cup is a bit cumbersome.

One that's on my radar screen is a cordless Hoover Lynx.

http://www.amazon.com/Hoover-Cordles...pr_product_top

The Hoover has a lot of reviews, mostly positive. I did see on in Walmart, but in person the vacuum cleaner didn't look as robust as online.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:41 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

We had a Dyson and it was pretty good except that it wouldn't pick up on ceramic tile floors--even at the bare floor setting. We opted to return to the Hoover Windtunnel--with the green/red lights to indicate dirt. Any of the vacuum shops have the bags as well as places where you bought the Hoover. Or you can call their 800 number for assistance. The Windtunnel is a much sturdier vaccuum and appears to be more powerful than the Dyson. That is said from my personal observation and not from CR tests.
Prof12
Old 01-20-2013, 01:41 PM   #8

Amazon shows a 9 pack of bags for $7.13 w/free ship over $25. Price seems pretty reasonable. Is this it?

Amazon.com: Hoover WindTunnel Upright Type Y Vacuum Bags Microfiltration with Closure - 9 Pack: Home & Kitchen
Old 01-20-2013, 01:55 PM   #9

We now have a Miele. By far the best vacuum cleaner we have ever had.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:00 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I've got a Eureka central vac and it really sucks.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I've got a Eureka central vac and it really sucks.
That's a good thing, right?

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
Consumer Reports currently ranks many of the Kenmore models at or near the top. None of the current machines are built as solidly as ones from decades ago, which in general means they are lighter but are more prone to breakage of the flimsy plastic parts.
If by lighter you mean less durable, you are probably right, but from a weight standpoint, our 5 year old Kenmore is just plain heavy. It's no big deal until it has to be hauled up/down the stairs. Ours is the one that is often recommended by CR, and it does do a very good job. I'd buy one again.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:13 PM   #13

Would be interested in an opinion from anyone owning the new hand held 3lb. Dyson DC34.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:14 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

We have a Rainbow. We bought it new 21 years ago, and it works as good as the day we bought it. It was expensive back then and I'm sure new ones are now, but we love it. It is bagless, and can also pick up water/work as a carpet cleaner and has many useful attachments. It works well on carpet and hard surfaces. If it stopped working, we'd replace it with another Rainbow.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:30 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

It depends on your needs, carpet, tile, wood, traffic, sqft, pets? If you don't have pets any vacuum may well work for you, I'd just see what a Consumer Reports recommends and buy it.

We had two long haired dogs, and went through a Hoover, Eureka and Oreck each in less than a year. Even cleaning the rollers of hair on the Oreck every time we used it, it was toast in less than a year. Then we bought a Dyson Animal (we'd resisted because it was $500), but it's still going as strong as ever more than 5 years later. Works great! So even though they may be overpriced, we've definitely gotten our money's worth out of the Dyson already, so you get what you pay for (more often than not).

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:49 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimsumkid
Amazon shows a 9 pack of bags for $7.13 w/free ship over $25. Price seems pretty reasonable. Is this it?

Amazon.com: Hoover WindTunnel Upright Type Y Vacuum Bags Microfiltration with Closure - 9 Pack: Home & Kitchen
These are not genuine Hoover bags. The last batch of bags I used were by 3M, all except 1 came off the connector during use, ended up throwing them out. I may end up ordering the genuine bags from Hoover website.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:57 PM   #17

We have these:

Dyson DC17 Animal Cyclone Upright Vacuum Cleaner
Dyson DC35 Animal Digital Slim Cordless Vacuum Cleaner with Pet Hair Tool

They are both really good for what they are, though to be clear, they were rather expensive for what they are, both being in the $300 range. They are not interchangeable. The upright vacuum is a waste of time and effort for small clean-ups - taking it out and setting it up and putting it away representing about 80% of the work of the small clean-up. The slim cordless is simply not a replacement for a "real vacuum" - it's just not that powerful, and it only holds a charge for a short amount of use. I've actually run out of power doing a quite "once-over" around the house before guests arrived for a party. (To be fair, though, I had the sucker on Max, and that uses power much faster.)
Old 01-20-2013, 03:54 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood
Your local library should be able to give you online access to consumer reports. The bagless version of your hoover got very high points.

We just bought a Shark rotator lift-away pro and like it. It had really good online reviews at Amazon.com and bed bath & beyond. The 20% off coupon at BBB helps a great deal on this one.

We stayed away from bag vacuum cleaners for just the reason the OP mentioned. Besides, the bags are expensive.
Thanks, think I am going with the same Shark, good reviews. I also found a website that does an excellent job in reviewing vacuum cleaners. Will buy it from BBB with the 20% discount coupon, net $200 plus tax.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:18 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

We have had a Dyson Animal for several years. It is the best vacuum we have ever had. I got it from Ebay. It was rebuilt, had a new warranty...and a good price.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:39 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disappointed View Post
These are not genuine Hoover bags. The last batch of bags I used were by 3M, all except 1 came off the connector during use, ended up throwing them out. I may end up ordering the genuine bags from Hoover website.
Genuine bags can easily be found at Amazon (4.95 for 3 bags/free ship) or Bed Bath & Beyond (7.99 3 gas/free ship) for cheaper than Hoover site. It seems you just want a new unit.