Anybody bought a vacuum cleaner lately?

Disappointed

Recycles dryer sheets
The last thread I found was from 2011.

So many choices, I have no preference, just for it to work well, not too heavy. Reading the reviews seem to confuse me more. Looking at Oreck vs Dyson. Costco has Dyson DC40 Animal for $399.

We currently use Hoover Wind Tunnel but having difficult time finding bags? What are you using?

W

Consumer Reports currently ranks many of the Kenmore models at or near the top. None of the current machines are built as solidly as ones from decades ago, which in general means they are lighter but are more prone to breakage of the flimsy plastic parts.

Your local library should be able to give you online access to consumer reports. The bagless version of your hoover got very high points.

We just bought a Shark rotator lift-away pro and like it. It had really good online reviews at Amazon.com and bed bath & beyond. The 20% off coupon at BBB helps a great deal on this one.

We stayed away from bag vacuum cleaners for just the reason the OP mentioned. Besides, the bags are expensive.

I bought a vacuum from Walmart 5 years ago and it still works like new. I don't remember if it was $60 or $80 but it certainly wasn't $300+. It is bagless which I highly prefer. It has a see-through container so if you empty it before you begin vacuuming then you can see how much it's picking up. If it's not picking anything up then either it's not working or you're vacuuming too often.

I'd narrow the choice down to type first, if you haven't already. For me, no way do I want to use a full sized one again. The weight makes me wish to put off vacuuming as long as possible.

At this time, I own three types but am not totally satisfied with any of them. I use a cordless (Eureka Quickup). I also have a Eureka corded like the cordless but with more power. I also have another Eureka corded (Optima Lightweight Upright) which would be perfect for me, but emptying the cup is a bit cumbersome.

One that's on my radar screen is a cordless Hoover Lynx.

http://www.amazon.com/Hoover-Cordless-Stick-Vacuum-Cleaner/dp/B001PB8EJ2/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

The Hoover has a lot of reviews, mostly positive. I did see on in Walmart, but in person the vacuum cleaner didn't look as robust as online.

Last edited:
We had a Dyson and it was pretty good except that it wouldn't pick up on ceramic tile floors--even at the bare floor setting. We opted to return to the Hoover Windtunnel--with the green/red lights to indicate dirt. Any of the vacuum shops have the bags as well as places where you bought the Hoover. Or you can call their 800 number for assistance. The Windtunnel is a much sturdier vaccuum and appears to be more powerful than the Dyson. That is said from my personal observation and not from CR tests.
Prof12

Last edited:
We now have a Miele. By far the best vacuum cleaner we have ever had.

I've got a Eureka central vac and it really sucks.

Consumer Reports currently ranks many of the Kenmore models at or near the top. None of the current machines are built as solidly as ones from decades ago, which in general means they are lighter but are more prone to breakage of the flimsy plastic parts.
If by lighter you mean less durable, you are probably right, but from a weight standpoint, our 5 year old Kenmore is just plain heavy. It's no big deal until it has to be hauled up/down the stairs. Ours is the one that is often recommended by CR, and it does do a very good job. I'd buy one again.

Would be interested in an opinion from anyone owning the new hand held 3lb. Dyson DC34.

We have a Rainbow. We bought it new 21 years ago, and it works as good as the day we bought it. It was expensive back then and I'm sure new ones are now, but we love it. It is bagless, and can also pick up water/work as a carpet cleaner and has many useful attachments. It works well on carpet and hard surfaces. If it stopped working, we'd replace it with another Rainbow.

It depends on your needs, carpet, tile, wood, traffic, sqft, pets? If you don't have pets any vacuum may well work for you, I'd just see what a Consumer Reports recommends and buy it.

We had two long haired dogs, and went through a Hoover, Eureka and Oreck each in less than a year. :mad: Even cleaning the rollers of hair on the Oreck every time we used it, it was toast in less than a year. :mad: Then we bought a Dyson Animal (we'd resisted because it was $500), but it's still going as strong as ever more than 5 years later. Works great! So even though they may be overpriced, we've definitely gotten our money's worth out of the Dyson already, so you get what you pay for (more often than not).

Last edited:
We have these:

Dyson DC17 Animal Cyclone Upright Vacuum Cleaner
Dyson DC35 Animal Digital Slim Cordless Vacuum Cleaner with Pet Hair Tool

They are both really good for what they are, though to be clear, they were rather expensive for what they are, both being in the $300 range. They are not interchangeable. The upright vacuum is a waste of time and effort for small clean-ups - taking it out and setting it up and putting it away representing about 80% of the work of the small clean-up. The slim cordless is simply not a replacement for a "real vacuum" - it's just not that powerful, and it only holds a charge for a short amount of use. I've actually run out of power doing a quite "once-over" around the house before guests arrived for a party. (To be fair, though, I had the sucker on Max, and that uses power much faster.)

walkinwood said:
Your local library should be able to give you online access to consumer reports. The bagless version of your hoover got very high points.

We just bought a Shark rotator lift-away pro and like it. It had really good online reviews at Amazon.com and bed bath & beyond. The 20% off coupon at BBB helps a great deal on this one.

We stayed away from bag vacuum cleaners for just the reason the OP mentioned. Besides, the bags are expensive.

Thanks, think I am going with the same Shark, good reviews. I also found a website that does an excellent job in reviewing vacuum cleaners. Will buy it from BBB with the 20% discount coupon, net $200 plus tax.

We have had a Dyson Animal for several years. It is the best vacuum we have ever had. I got it from Ebay. It was rebuilt, had a new warranty...and a good price.

These are not genuine Hoover bags. The last batch of bags I used were by 3M, all except 1 came off the connector during use, ended up throwing them out. I may end up ordering the genuine bags from Hoover website.

Genuine bags can easily be found at Amazon (4.95 for 3 bags/free ship) or Bed Bath & Beyond (7.99 3 gas/free ship) for cheaper than Hoover site. It seems you just want a new unit.

I
We had two long haired dogs, and went through a Hoover, Eureka and Oreck each in less than a year. :mad: Even cleaning the rollers of hair on the Oreck every time we used it, it was toast in less than a year. :mad: Then we bought a Dyson Animal (we'd resisted because it was $500), but it's still going as strong as ever more than 5 years later. Works great! So even though they may be overpriced, we've definitely gotten our money's worth out of the Dyson already, so you get what you pay for (more often than not).

+1

We have the Dyson Animal too - lots of carpets and upholstery + 2 cats. For carpets, it is the best vacuum cleaner we have ever owned (we've had it for 4+ years with no trouble whatsoever). It is not so good for bare floors though IMO.

Santa brought my daughter the Dyson rollerball and she loves it. It is a NYC apt and it is exactly what she wanted and it works great.

Our Oreck is still going strong 10 years later. We have two cats, and take it in for a tune- up every three years.

SIS

We're looking at an Oreck Magnesium, a 7-8 lb light vacuum. This would replace the 30-odd lb Hoover that DW doesn't want me lugging up and down the stairs any more when I vacuum. Costco has a pretty reasonable price on it right now compared to what Oreck usually wants.

I just wonder about maintenance on the thing. It looks like parts aren't available to the public, and all service/repairs have to be done through a factory authorized suck broom dealer.

We've always bought reconditioned Kirbys. New ones are obscenely expensive, but the reconditioned used ones are, in our opinions, a bargain. We're on our second in 37 years. Both my mother's and grandmother's are still in service with other family members -- they're TANKS. Never had a problem getting supplies, parts, or service.

They can be on the heavy/bulky side, but the one we have currently has a power assisted drive, so it's no problem for us (and we both have issues in that regard).

Tyro

Back
Top Bottom