Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-03-2012, 11:06 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

oldtrig,

Thanks for posting that link to your friend's site. Heavy reading, but very seriously valuable stuff. I don't need it--yet--but I think I do need to know.

Cheers!

And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2012, 04:14 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

You are quite welcome. I posted the site where anyone thats having PC problems can get help and not have to pay someone to do this. Our economy is bad enough and any saving is a plus. I see people taking their computers to shops everyday when most could do what they do for free. I have fixed many systems when maybe hardware is the problem but having to pay someone to remove a virus is crazy. I learned computers where one day I could help others fix their computers. If people want to trust their system to a computer shop thats fine but if they want my help I am here. I personally would not want just anyone looking at my personal things on my PC. Thats about all I could say on this. Oldtrig

Old 03-04-2012, 01:27 AM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

One thing to note is that a couple of the linksys routers have a weird bug that looks like a redirect virus.
I think it's the WRT310 and WRT610 models.. They screw up dns lookups.

If you have one of these routers that might be something to consider.
i have the WRT310 and it was inflicting this annoyance upon me.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:57 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I just tried this and got a security warning from my Norton Antivirus saying "Publisher unknown".
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNick View Post
Go to Bleepingcomputer.com, download ComboFix, run, follow instructions, enjoy.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:15 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

obgyn65
I highly suggest you do not run combofix unless an expert tells you to. If you read instruction you will see you are to disable or remove your antivirus before you run it anyway. Most everyone will get that message
Publisher unknown. I am telling you this from past experience on running combofix. If you are an expert then continue on/
A guide and tutorial on using ComboFix
Old 03-04-2012, 07:34 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

mh, I have run into the problem you mentioned and there is a fireware upgrade that will fix this problem.
Linksys by Cisco - WRT160N Support
oldtrig
Old 03-04-2012, 12:02 PM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
I just tried this and got a security warning from my Norton Antivirus saying "Publisher unknown".
I would advise against running this program unless you are very competent with computers.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:09 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Thanks a lot for your patience and helpfulness.
You are welcome. The person that owns this website I showed will fix any computer that has been invaded with trojans and viruses. He wants everyone to follow his steps in order. If you need more help I have other options I can show you. It is really confusing if you have never did this before. I have tons of patience and will stay with you until the problem is resolved. I just hate to see people waste money on taking a PC to a repair shop when most can do what they do with a little help from others. I cannot stress enough about running ComboFix without knowing what you are doing. Never pay any attention to someone who tells you that program alone with solve your problems. I am posting this only from many years of working on PC's and not trying to be a know it all. Oldtrig
Old 03-05-2012, 02:27 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrig View Post
mh, I have run into the problem you mentioned and there is a fireware upgrade that will fix this problem.
Linksys by Cisco - WRT160N Support
oldtrig
unfortunately i have the WRT130. i couldn't find a upgrade for that. if you can point me at one for the WRT130 that would be great. right now i just point my dns server at the google dns server instead and that works around the problem.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:31 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

WRT130N does not exist on Linksys homepage. Yours is a WRT 130?
Old 03-07-2012, 05:52 PM   #51

I've had the folks on this forum http://www.spywareinfoforum.com/index.php?/index
Help me with a couple of persistent browser hijack problems on my computers.
Free and extremely nice folks who know what they are doing.
Might be worth checking out. I think I've recommended them here before when folks had these kinds of issues.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:08 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrig View Post
WRT130N does not exist on Linksys homepage. Yours is a WRT 130?
the label on the underside of the unit says WRT130N v2 maybe that means WRT 130. or.. maybe not..
Old 03-08-2012, 04:40 AM   #53
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I would replace the WRT130N. I couldn't find it at Linksys site, and couldn't find anything good said about it either.

Could be an orphaned product, and they hope it disappears quickly.