Join Early Retirement Today

Anybody got a good recipe for "King cake"?
Old 02-11-2010, 10:23 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Anybody got a good recipe for "King cake"?

It is a Mardi Gras tradition I guess. Somehow I got roped into it because my son blabbed to his 5th grade class about how good a cook I was..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2010, 11:17 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

1. Call Gambino's Bakery in Baton Rouge (Cream cheese filled is my favorite)
2. Have King Cake shipped
3. Enjoy

Old 02-11-2010, 12:34 PM   #3
Administrator

Exactly. Traditional King cakes are dry and flavorless. Nobody here bakes them. I have never seen a home-baked one, at any rate. What you do, is buy one of the cream cheese/cinnamon ones which are much yummier than the traditional ones, and have it shipped to you. Sarah is right - - Gambino's makes a good one. My favorite is Randazzo's.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Exactly. Traditional King cakes are dry and flavorless. Nobody here bakes them. I have never seen a home-baked one, at any rate. What you do, is buy one of the cream cheese/cinnamon ones which are much yummier than the traditional ones, and have it shipped to you. Sarah is right - - Gambino's makes a good one. My favorite is Randazzo's.
Agreed, I lived in Baton Rouge for a total of 17 years and never saw a home made one. We had a Gambino's close by and I can add my vote to the quality of their King Cakes plus we used them to ship King Cakes to our daughter and SIL (who is from New Orleans).
Old 02-11-2010, 12:53 PM   #5
Administrator

I am over at Frank's and told him about this thread. He is a native New Orleanian. Just to provide another data point, he says, "In the 55 years that I have lived in New Orleans, I have never even HEARD of anybody making their own King cake." He say Haydel's is his favorite, with Randazzo's and Gambino's as runners up.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 01:09 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Cher, you buy dem youself when go make de groceries.

Another vote here for Gambino's. One of the local bakeries here has a couple of bakers who formerly worked at Gambino's before Katrina, and they make killer petit fors.

As for King's Cake, it is just a Mardi Gras tradition rather than any kind of delicacy. That's why you can't find them available except this time of year. It's just a giant dry cinnamon roll crossed with a croissant on steroids kind of thing with a plastic Baby Jesus stuck inside it. Although I did buy one at my local grocery the other day and they had replaced the baby with a miniature baby's rattle.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:28 PM   #7

I left Baton Rouge in 1991, but I still order my king cakes. Yum.

Leonidas--I mus go pass de vacuum. Dis house is dirty, yes.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:15 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We lived down in Red Stick fo cupple yeahs. Bought king cake. Moved away. Bought it by mail. Wife makes it now. Real good, it is. Tough part is finding the coloured sugar or food colouring and -- of course -- a Baby Jesus that won't break someone's teeth.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:40 AM   #9

Well FinanceDude,
I guess there goes your good cook rating?
Don't you think W2R should run down to what ever the best place is and ship a nice load of cakes for the class?
Steve
Old 02-12-2010, 07:38 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Leonidas--I mus go pass de vacuum. Dis house is dirty, yes.
How's yo momma and dem?

Reading this thread again this morning suddenly has me wanting some King's Cake. Allegedly, the best to be had in Houston is at the Acadian Bakery on Alabama. If the rain doesn't come back strong this morning I may take a trip down to Montrose and see if I can get one.

Update: Their website shows that they also make Doberge cakes...mmmmmm.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:25 PM   #11

How the heck did I miss that bakery when I lived in Houston....rats!!!!

Can someone tell me why these cakes are starting at $69...it's a cake! What the heck is it made of that makes it so expensive?
http://www.gambinos.com/shop/default.php?cPath=22ay

I just looked at all the bakeries W2R suggested and am having heart palpitations over the price of these King cakes. I've had King cake before when I was down there with my father, and it wasn't worth $50....good but not that good. Is it just me?

Did anyone check the price on the olive salad at Gambinos? I have made olive salad from Central Grocery's recipe several times, and it surely wasn't worth $40+ dollar a jar...good grief...New Orleans surely over-prices this stuff...dang!
Old 02-12-2010, 07:46 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I was at the bakery this morning getting my bread when I saw those yummy looking king cakes and I just couldn't resist...