Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-31-2009, 01:10 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
A couple of years ago I stayed in a hotel that had WiFi, but charged something like $10 a day for it, and I decided it wasn't worth that amount just to check my email.
The only time I've ever sprung for that was on business, since I knew I could expense it.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2009, 04:10 AM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

I haven't bought my Netbook yet (I hate buying computers because the technology is old by the time you open the box, ) which is probably good as I noticed today that HP is offering one of it's Netbooks (HP Mini 110) with Windows 7 Starter Edition loaded. All the other makes seem to still be offering XP which will be losing much support soon.

I think I'll wait until after the new year and see what's on offer then. I imagine Windows 7 will be available for most of them. That'll probably be as good a time to buy as any.

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 07:35 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek View Post
I think I'll wait until after the new year and see what's on offer then. I imagine Windows 7 will be available for most of them. That'll probably be as good a time to buy as any.
I just loaded 7 on my 1000HE on Friday. (I ordered it when Amazon had the upgrade for $49.)

I had to download and reinstall about 3-4 specific things manually -- the wifi, ACPI, SHE and I think one other thing -- but once I did it, all is well and it seems to run a little faster than XP. It's probably important to have that second gig of RAM in there though for one like this, though.

That was mostly just a toy for me to drag around and mess with, so it was no big loss if I screwed it up and had to flatline the thing and reinstall XP.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 10-25-2009, 07:13 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I really like my Sumsung N120. The screen on mine is glossy, but
I bought a matte screen cover and it works well. I hardly ever
use my desktop anymore.

Cheers,

charlie
charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 07:17 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

I also have the Samsung and use it every day. I only use my larger laptop as a desktop. I interviewed all the netbook brands and found the Samsung to have the very best keyboard and screen. Everybody that uses it when I travel or have company is extremely positive and has put it on their purchase list.
molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:11 PM   #46

Can netbooks run all programs that will run on a regular laptop—specifically genealogy programs? Parents & I recently went to Salt Lake City to do genealogical research and my laptop got heavy pretty quick. I'd love to have something lighter next time.
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:56 PM   #47

Kyounge,
I don't see why not. Are the genealogical programs processor hogs? If they require a real fast cpu, I would say not, however, as my BIL has been running genealogical programs on his 4 year old laptop, my guess is the netbooks will work just fine. Mine has a 160 gig hard drive. That will store a lot of names and pictures.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:23 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
Can netbooks run all programs that will run on a regular laptop—specifically genealogy programs? Parents & I recently went to Salt Lake City to do genealogical research and my laptop got heavy pretty quick. I'd love to have something lighter next time.
Not an expert at this stuff, but my netbook (with an atom processor) runs considerably slower than my full blown laptop. I have enough memory, ...etc.
I notice it most when running spreadsheets.
netbook slow, laptop faster
So I think that anything that crunches or draws a lot may be a problem for a netbook
Old 10-26-2009, 12:54 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
Kyounge,
I don't see why not. Are the genealogical programs processor hogs? If they require a real fast cpu, I would say not, however, as my BIL has been running genealogical programs on his 4 year old laptop, my guess is the netbooks will work just fine. Mine has a 160 gig hard drive. That will store a lot of names and pictures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by megacorp-firee View Post
Not an expert at this stuff, but my netbook (with an atom processor) runs considerably slower than my full blown laptop. I have enough memory, ...etc.
I notice it most when running spreadsheets.
netbook slow, laptop faster
So I think that anything that crunches or draws a lot may be a problem for a netbook
Mostly I was wondering if netbooks use the same OS as regular laptop and desktop computers, or was it Windows Mobile or Windows Pocket Edition or whatever the Windows for pocket size/pda type devices was called. My concern was about whether the OS of a netbook would be compatible with the program's requirement. Guess more research is in order. I don't know if the genealogy programs are particularly greedy of memory etc.
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 01:46 AM   #50
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by molly View Post
I also have the Samsung and use it every day. I only use my larger laptop as a desktop. I interviewed all the netbook brands and found the Samsung to have the very best keyboard and screen. Everybody that uses it when I travel or have company is extremely positive and has put it on their purchase list.
That's likely to be the brand I go with, but I'm waiting to see if they offer it with Windows 7 soon like HP is doing with it's Netbooks now. I don't want to buy a new computer with XP on it.

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 04:57 AM   #51

Quote:
Mostly I was wondering if netbooks use the same OS as regular laptop and desktop computers, or was it Windows Mobile or Windows Pocket Edition or whatever the Windows for pocket size/pda type devices was called. My concern was about whether the OS of a netbook would be compatible with the program's requirement. Guess more research is in order. I don't know if the genealogy programs are particularly greedy of memory etc.
They typically run on Windows XP, with a few of the newer ones running the new Windows 7. They are probably sufficient for genealogy work.

R
Old 10-26-2009, 06:57 AM   #52

My Asus 1000HE runs XP. It is about a 8 months old. It came with one gig of memory and it was about $25 to upgrade to 2 gig. It comes with a 160 gig hard drive divided into two 80 gig partitions. I highly recommend it.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:39 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
My Asus 1000HE runs XP. It is about a 8 months old. It came with one gig of memory and it was about $25 to upgrade to 2 gig. It comes with a 160 gig hard drive divided into two 80 gig partitions. I highly recommend it.
Ditto. In fact, I rarely use the family decktop unit unless I need lots of viewing space for particularly large spreadsheets (the desktop has a 21" screen).

BTW: This morning on Buy.com, they're offering an Acer 10.1" netbook with 160 gig hard drive for $270 -- with XP. Probably brooming them out for new stock with Wdos 7.
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:14 PM   #54

Quote:
My notebook uses the same Windows OS as my laptop.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:53 AM   #55

Do any of you who use a netbook also use a cooling fan accessory? Saw one advertised for netbooks at Fry's for $20.

-- Rita

P.S.: Yes I bought one on Black Friday, should arrive in 10 days.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:25 AM   #56

I have used on for my full size laptop, but never found it needed for the netbook.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:06 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
Do any of you who use a netbook also use a cooling fan accessory?
In my experience, the processors in a typical netbook aren't powerful enough to produce the kind of heat that would require an extra cooling fan.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:11 AM   #58
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
In my experience, the processors in a typical netbook aren't powerful enough to produce the kind of heat that would require an extra cooling fan.
If CFB were around he'd beg to differ with you, insisting anyone with a netbook containing an AMD processor should use it only with an asbestos lap cushion and a fire extinguisher within arms reach.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:36 AM   #59

Quote:
Do any of you who use a netbook also use a cooling fan accessory? Saw one advertised for netbooks at Fry's for $20.

-- Rita

If your notebook is from one of the big manufacturers (Apple, HP, Lenovo, Dell), you shouldn't need it. However, if you have your notebook on your lap, you may inadvertently block the vents. I use a plastic cutting board to avoid that problem.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 04:11 PM   #60

Quote:

-- Rita

I have never used one for my laptop or notebook. I make sure that I don't block the vents. On my notebook, there is a fan that is obviously running (slight noise and some vibration). I have never had a problem due to heat.