Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-03-2011, 06:12 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

FIRE'd 7/28/2011. Last night (8/2/2011) I had a dream about how ashamed I was seeing my high school classmates and telling them I was retired already. Also saw some work mates and had same reaction. This morning I still feel good about ER.
Brett_Cameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2011, 06:20 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

When I retired 5 years ago I got them several times a week. lately it's been maybe once every couple months.

In my dreams I'm usually on a job site working against time to get a large commercial kitchen ready for start up since they plan to open in the morning. Only problem is the equipment doesn't fit and everything has to be modified as there is about 12 hrs before sunset is upon us and I've already been working for 15 hrs. Ya, I hate details in my dreams.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:33 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Have a bad work dream the other night. Once again, same theme (I was still w*rking for Megacorp, had been helping out, but not even on the payroll). The bad part was in the dream, I wasn't sure if I was FIRE'd and just looking back, or if I was trapped at w*rk and daydreaming about someday FIRE'ing. The latter brought back bad memories
Old 08-12-2011, 11:29 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Have a bad work dream the other night. Once again, same theme (I was still w*rking for Megacorp, had been helping out, but not even on the payroll). The bad part was in the dream, I wasn't sure if I was FIRE'd and just looking back, or if I was trapped at w*rk and daydreaming about someday FIRE'ing. The latter brought back bad memories
Certainly disconcerting! It must have been a big relief to awaken after having that dream.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:51 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Certainly disconcerting! It must have been a big relief to awaken after having that dream.
Yes. It took me a minute or two to get my bearings back.

Usually, in that recurring dream I realized that I've already FIRE'd. But this time, I had an identity crisis until I woke up.
Old 08-14-2011, 03:52 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
When I was w*rking, I occasionally had a dream about having sex in my office with a couple of hotties that worked for me. Maybe that's why I liked that office so much...

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 04:12 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

My husband has been retired for years and rarely remembers his dreams. Last night, though, he had a dream he described as "horrible." He dreamed he was back at work, and had just been promoted into a job he had no idea how to do.

We tried to figure out what prompted this dream and all we can think of is that he's been obsessively watching the primaries, and has concluded that none of the prospective candidates has the foggiest idea how to solve the country's problems. (Please, I don't mean to start a political discussion, we have enough of those at home )

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 05:45 PM   #28

I have dreams about work occasionally. Not bad, just about work or with people from work in them. I figure its just my brain using the props and characters it has stored away.

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 11:27 PM   #29

No longer have any bad dreams now. I had a few shortly after I retired. I do have dreams now and then that I am still working - not what I would say a bad dream, just a dream that I am working with some former colleagues. The thing is I don't think about work much - like a life that happened long ago.
Moscyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:42 AM   #30
Administrator

I had my first bad dream about work last night. (I've had plenty of dreams about work since I ER'ed but none bad).

We have had a couple of friends staying with us from Louisiana, where I used to work. They are both long retired but he and I worked for the same firm for many years, and we talked about folks at the old place. (He still lives close to the old company, keeps regular contact with some folks, attends retiree breakfasts etc).

They were due to leave this morning, and last night I dreamed there was an ongoing crisis at work that I needed to continue working on first thing and had to get in even earlier than normal (I used to leave home at 5:45 to get in by 6:30). In my dream I woke up to daylight and realized that I had slept in and started to leap out of bed in a panic. Then I really did wake up to daylight, and remembered that, not only do I not have to go to work, but that I'm on a different continent

They are gone now so hopefully the work dreams will subside.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:50 AM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I had my first bad dream about work last night. (I've had plenty of dreams about work since I ER'ed but none bad).
Although certainly not my first, I had a bad work-related dream last night as well. Thankfully it was the first in many months.

In it I had been asked to fly to parent co HQ in the UK and couldn't find my ticket, forgot my passport and couldn't locate the departure gate in the airport terminal. I spent what seemed like hours wandering the terminal (which turned out to be the HQ of a large Credit Union) trying to locate my flight.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:01 AM   #32
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
In it I had been asked to fly to parent co HQ in the UK and couldn't find my ticket, forgot my passport and couldn't locate the departure gate in the airport terminal. I spent what seemed like hours wandering the terminal (which turned out to be the HQ of a large Credit Union) trying to locate my flight.
Let me know when you arrive and we can arrange to meet up
Old 08-15-2011, 10:05 AM   #33
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Let me know when you arrive and we can arrange to meet up
Sorry, the CU has canceled all flights until interest rates improve...
Old 08-15-2011, 10:24 AM   #34
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My bad dream about work usually follows the same format each time, and I wake up in a sweat.

I return to work, as if I have been gone for a week or two, and everything is different. My office is occupied by somebody else, or it now has 4 people in it. I look for my desk, I finally find it jammed in a big room with many others, and I can't get to it because it is literally jammed in by other desks. My chair and stuff is gone, I'm not sure how I even ID'd the desk as mine, but I did. I try to get to it, and other people are coming and going as if I'm not even there. In the dream I'm rebelling to the thought that this is what my work life will now be... and then I wake up.

It's been years, and I still can have work dreams.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:38 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
Thanks, guys, I was kinda hoping this would all fade out after the first decade.

In addition to my regularly-scheduled nightmares, spouse says I still have at least one night a week where I'm tossing, thrashing, running, mumbling, and generally crazed instead of sleeping. I don't know whether to be annoyed that I can't remember what's causing it or relieved that I can't remember what's causing it.

I wonder if we should all sign up for some sort of sleep-lab research...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 06:34 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
In addition to my regularly-scheduled nightmares, spouse says I still have at least one night a week where I'm tossing, thrashing, running, mumbling, and generally crazed instead of sleeping. I don't know whether to be annoyed that I can't remember what's causing it or relieved that I can't remember what's causing it.
Oh, that's just the usual dream about "duty the last night in port, and startup at Oh-dark-30." There's probably a battery charge tucked in there somewhere.

I hate work dreams...
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 06:47 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

I have nightmares about work all the time...... especially from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday to Friday.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:53 PM   #38

I used to have these dreams when I worked full time. They usually involved me not having the ability to complete some project. I have to admit that there was a point in my life where work was always on my mind.

Now that I am semiretired, I don't seem to remember any dreams about work.
FreeAtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:18 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
My bad dream about work usually follows the same format each time, and I wake up in a sweat.

I return to work, as if I have been gone for a week or two, and everything is different. My office is occupied by somebody else, or it now has 4 people in it. I look for my desk, I finally find it jammed in a big room with many others, and I can't get to it because it is literally jammed in by other desks. My chair and stuff is gone, I'm not sure how I even ID'd the desk as mine, but I did. I try to get to it, and other people are coming and going as if I'm not even there. In the dream I'm rebelling to the thought that this is what my work life will now be... and then I wake up.

Hmm, had similar dream a few times when I was still working. I tried to psycho-analyse it then and did not like the findings. That's when I knew I had to FIRE.
Moscyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:40 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Oh, that's just the usual dream about "duty the last night in port, and startup at Oh-dark-30." There's probably a battery charge tucked in there somewhere.
I hate work dreams...
Yeah, that could be it:
"*BLAM-BLAM-BLAM*... door creeeeak... rack curtain rrrrrrip! Excuse me, Duty Officer, sir? I know it's 0230 but we need the Captain's permission to troubleshoot this little problem we're having with blown fuses in the rod control system... oh, and could you authorize this tagout so that we can clean & inspect the shim switch? No, no, no rush, sir, take your time, I'll go get a cup of coffee and check back in a few minutes, thanks!!"

Maybe I don't want to know what I don't already know...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote