Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Anybody Here Like Hyundais??
Old 02-28-2007, 02:59 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Anybody Here Like Hyundais??

Just wondering............I find it interesting that the head of Toyota is more concerned about Hyundai than Honda...............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Anybody Here Like Hyundais??
Old 02-28-2007, 03:03 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Never owned a Hyundai before, but have heard a lot of good things about it. I agree with Toyota's concern. Hyundai is and continues to be a formidable competitor in the economical (bottom) market segment.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 03:17 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

We rented one of the new design Hyudai minivans on our recent week-long trip to CO. I would say that it wasn't quite as nice as our Honda van, but it was very competitive, with good fit and finish and nicely appointed/designed. It felt a little boatier than the Honda, but it even did OK in the snow. For $4 or $5k less than the Honda, I'd say it is a VERY strong contender.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 03:25 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

From what I have read / heard.... they have improved their quality a lot over the last few years..

I knew someone who had one built in the '80s at it was a tin box piece of junk.... but very cheap...

so, taking their improvement line and projecting forward.. they will be making the best car in the world in 20 or so years....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 03:36 PM   #5

Hyundais may be a good car. But the resale on them is absolutely terrible. So if you aren't going to keep it till the wheels fall off then consider what it will be worth in the secondary market.

Just cause something doesn't cost that much doesn't mean it's always cheap to own.

- or as the car guys like to say, you really don't know what a car has cost you until you sell it.

Some people keep a car 10 years or longer. The resale shouldn't concern those people. Others keep a car until it needs some moderate maintainance like water pumps, or alternators, or starters etc.. If you are one of those type that sells your car after maybe 3-6 years then resale is a concern
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 04:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster
Some people keep a car 10 years or longer. The resale shouldn't concern those people. Others keep a car until it needs some moderate maintainance like water pumps, or alternators, or starters etc.. If you are one of those type that sells your car after maybe 3-6 years then resale is a concern
After running the license plates of thousands of cars I can honestly say I haven't seen more than a couple Hyundais or Kias more than 5 years old.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:44 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

The origional Hyundias were pretty bad. The brakes were to small and wore down quickly - underpowered and started to rattle ... to soon. A good friends girlfriend had one back in the late 80s. But, I had a rep w/ one (his wifes car) - wow have they ever improved. Take off the name plates and it had the fit and finish/ride of a Honda/Nisson.
They used to be alot cheaper - don't know if that is true now - if so...I would consider one. Of course where I live it has to be 4WD ---I love my supercharged Wrangler - will keep till the wheels fall off!
Old 02-28-2007, 05:27 PM   #8

I bought a 2006 Sonata 10 months ago already has 20K miles on it. I was a little apprehensive about owning on based on past reputation but I'm real impressed with the car. It rides well and it is very comfortable.
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 05:31 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I test drove their minivan last year. While it was noisier and had a rougher ride, pretty much everything else was comparable to the Toyota and Honda.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:32 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a 2004 Hyundai Elantra...next one up from the smallest model. It's a 4 cy. and gets great gas mileage. The engine is a little "growly" but that's not unusual for a 4 cylinder. I've driven from Pennsylvaina (north of Philly) to Williamsburg, VA, Portland, ME, and to Cleveland with no problems and it's a fine ride...not luxurious, but certainly fine for the type of driving I usually do, which is the around town type for the most part. I would certainly consider another one when the time comes...depending on what else is out there.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:57 PM   #11

10 year warranty
#3 in quality in JD Power survey (Porsche, Lexus, Hyundai)

eridanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 08:47 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Pretty good value for the dollar these days. If as mentioned you dont consider resale.

We looked hard at the Santa Fe when we bought our Rav4. Had the Hyundai dealer been less of a moron we might have bought one. I called him and told him what the price was on our Rav4, and he offered list price on the santa fe.

Yeah, alright chief... :
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 09:48 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
Pretty good value for the dollar these days. If as mentioned you dont consider resale.

We looked hard at the Santa Fe when we bought our Rav4. Had the Hyundai dealer been less of a moron we might have bought one. I called him and told him what the price was on our Rav4, and he offered list price on the santa fe.

Yeah, alright chief... :
Did you buy one of the new Rav4s Did you go with 4 or 6 cyl??

I have been toying with buying something like that or the CRV... but don't think I will.... but nice to know how they are...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 10:52 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud
I have been toying with buying something like that or the CRV.
Have to admit, I like the looks of the new CRV ....

Test drove a Sonata, and it performed pretty well. To me, though, the interior materials looked to be on the cheap side. Funny that CFB mentioned that his Hyundai dealer was a moron ... the one I dealt with was a jack@ss.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:08 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I rented a 2007 Hyundai Sonata today since my regular ride is undergoing maintenance. It's always nice to drive a newer rental car. This one only has about 675 miles on it. It drives nicely. Exterior looks pretty sharp. Interior has a fairly basic econo look. I'd be curious to see how it holds up at around the 50,000 and 100,000 mile marks.
califdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 06:53 AM   #16

Off on a tangent. For awhile, I used to sell for Hyundai (pronounced something frighteningly close to "HONDA"). I sold their RAM memory modules. I got well along to FIRE selling these babies by the truckload when a meg was much more expensive than today's gig. New versions plagued the marketplace.

My Korean boss always ended his national conference calls by reminding us: "Don't forget to sell old virgin first." I love Hyundai.

Back in the 80's it was a chuckle to see the VPs driving Elantras.

Old 03-01-2007, 07:03 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUM
"Don't forget to sell old virgin first."
Huh? What does it mean?
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 07:04 AM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

I bought a 2001 Accent last April with 80000 Km on it and have put 30.000 on it since.

Maintenance and repairs for the period

May
Tune up $125

October
WInter Tires $300

November
Valve cover Gasket. Brakes Plug wires and tie Rod Ends $700

Today it is in for the timing belt / water pump (regular maint about $400)
Also to check check engine light (probably evap system)

Oil Changes Air Filters about $175

Fuel 6-7 L per 100 km

Fairly large inside. Most roomy small car I was in and that is why I got it. Toyota echo was second Corolla had too much stuff sticking out of the door that poked my knee.

People that I know with elantras are happy with them (one 2002 with 240,,000 K on it has had nothing but regular maint, the other does not have enough distance on it to have had any problems anyway.

Was not to happy about having to do the tie rod ends but other than that OK.

Would not buy another accent, would get an elantra simply for the larger size but would miss the hatch back.

Bruce
Old 03-01-2007, 07:16 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
Huh? What does it mean?
Sell the stuff that's been on the shelves the longest first.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:17 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
Huh? What does it mean?
Sorry Sam. In the computer chip biz its important to sell the old VERSION first.