Anybody know what happened to:

I often wonder what Bob_Smith is up to, being a fellow Iowan and all.

Bob_Smith is a textbook example of what I believe happens to many of our posters. He disappeared for almost two years and reappeared with this post: http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/bob-smith-checking-in-23955.html

He then posted ~60 times over the next four weeks before disappearing again.

...I don't make it to the forum as much as I used too. New job(s)... and a two year old...
As in the case of Bob_Smith, life happens...

I completely abandoned one forum because the tone of the conversation became unattractive (lots of rants, bullying, paranoia and a complete lack of consideration for others). And I am moving away from another forum because the discussion is becoming stale.

I have my ups and down with this forum. I do take short breaks on occasion, but so far I have always come back. For one thing, the posts on this board are often well written, informative, cordial, entertaining and/or relevant. It sets this community apart from other message boards IMO. I often wonder how this board manages to avoid turning to garbage, like so many other boards have, given the fact that it's open to anyone with a computer and an internet connection. Then there is the human dimension. It's a small community with lots of friendly people. OK, there are a few people I cannot stand, but I probably like 95% of the regular contributors, many with whom I do not agree on a lot of issues but whose opinion I respect. I think that the moderators do a great job keeping the conversation civil, which is very important to me.

If I ever leave, I'll definitely announce it.

Let me assure you, the moderators work their butts off.

Reactions: W2R
Well, MMND was an individual. For one brief period of time Jennifer was all of us. :)

lazygood4nothinbum? He hasn't been around in about 9 months. I remember he talked about heading overseas to live in remote places but I didn't see a goodbye post.

I met him when I was down in Tampa and Miami scoping out real estate. Really cool guy and great host. Without him showing me Miami, I would have blundered around instead of hitting all the trendy places in one evening. Too bad he decided to disappear. :(

Back
Top Bottom